Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What’s happened to Octopus Go?!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This has just cropped up on the Octopus forum. Your car will now be 50% more expensive to charge. And that peak rate - wow. Somehow I think energy prices are going to dominate the news in 2022.
View attachment 751754

Absolutely brutal.

I have just plugged these figures into the guy lipman calculator. My November 2021 monthly costs were £86 and with those new rates it would be £151. December charges were £95 and with the new rates £167. Fortunately I am tied into the current tariff until late summer, by which time hopefully the energy markets will have stabilised and the increase in cost won’t be quite as dramatic as this.

I'm in the same position, awaiting a bill since August, and it has happened a few times before. Drop them an email and they will resolve it eventually in my experience. On previous occasions, they have been missing some 30minute billing data from a specific day, and it seems they need to manually re-request it from the central billing database that is outside of octopus control, so I think the problem is down to issues with Octopus receiving the 30minute data in the first place.

Mine was waiting on missing data from 20 September, this was resolved but then all data flow stopped on my account for a couple of weeks. This is all now showing apart from one day in November, so am waiting on them to catch that up manually too. They will get there I'm sure, and frankly given I'm on the 13.8p/5p rates until end of April I'm really not going to complain if it takes them a while, there's so much benefit from having Go that I'm more than willing to live with the beta aspects of the service.

I do regular exports of usage data from Octopus Watch app to a CSV file as an emergency backup, but have never needed to resort to this.

Ok, that's good to know... I'll just leave them to sort it out then.

I’m absolutely fuming at the energy prices atm!

I was with EOn for electricity on a 23p per kw tariff which was expensive to start with. I then had my car the end of Nov and decided to switch to octopus go… I was fobbed off so many times even tho i’d done the maths and it was still cheaper to have the 5p off peak tarrif to charge.

I then finally got them to switch me over and was told I would go on an intirim tarrif until they had enough meter readings from smart meter etc. Then I would be invited to octopus go via email.

I was informed of the octopus go rates for my area at the time I switched. Which was 25.87p per kw and a standing charge of 17p per day with off peak still being the quoted 5p per kw.

Low and behold today they have rocketed up to a peak rate of 32p per kw and now off peak is 7p per kw!

My question is, where do I stand? Should they honor the initial tarrif when I initiated the switch? Or do they take the piss and give me the new tarrif?!

I was with EOn for electricity on a 23p per kw tariff which was expensive to start with. I then had my car the end of Nov and decided to switch to octopus go… I was fobbed off so many times even tho i’d done the maths and it was still cheaper to have the 5p off peak tarrif to charge.

I then finally got them to switch me over and was told I would go on an intirim tarrif until they had enough meter readings from smart meter etc. Then I would be invited to octopus go via email.

I was informed of the octopus go rates for my area at the time I switched. Which was 25.87p per kw and a standing charge of 17p per day with off peak still being the quoted 5p per kw.

Low and behold today they have rocketed up to a peak rate of 32p per kw and now off peak is 7p per kw!

My question is, where do I stand? Should they honor the initial tarrif when I initiated the switch? Or do they take the piss and give me the new tarrif?!
I was in the same situation as you but I was switching from my fixed octopus tarriff. I rang them today and they honoured lower price tariff.

I moved onto the Go tariff in October but they honoured the quote they gave me back in August when I applied and before my smart meter was installed.

Energy prices are savage right now. Friend of mine asked to switch onto his suppliers EV tariff...

20p off peak (4 hours) and 40p peak....

I'm thanking my lucky stars that my Go renewed in december and they have kept the rates the same, 14p peak and 5p off peak but eventually its going to come crashing down and suddenly all our "cheap fuel" will have vanished.

Bloody joke really. Slash the EV grants, let energy prices go through the roof, inevitable car tax, and yet still expect everyone to switch to electric vehicles?

Bloody joke really. Slash the EV grants, let energy prices go through the roof, inevitable car tax, and yet still expect everyone to switch to electric vehicles?

The worst bit is petrol costs are roughly 50% tax and currently electricity is 5%, so even without increasing electricity costs are some point cost will have to go up by another 50% if the government wants to keep current fuel revenue from cars coming in.

In a few years time I suspect anything below 20-30p/kWh would be a 'bargain'.

Hmmm... my Octopus Go tariff ends in May 2022... just in time for my Solar Array to take over.

So I'm hoping things will have calmed down again by Winter 2022-23

If not, I might consider planting these SWIFT™ Wind Energy System things all over my house.

... might just edge my bets and keep my Petrol Car a bit longer as well, just in case anything crazy happens with Public Charger pricing.

The worst bit is petrol costs are roughly 50% tax and currently electricity is 5%, so even without increasing electricity costs are some point cost will have to go up by another 50% if the government wants to keep current fuel revenue from cars coming in.

In a few years time I suspect anything below 20-30p/kWh would be a 'bargain'.
Fuel duty and then VAT on road fuels results in the total tax take at the pump of over 60%.

Fuel duty revenue is around £27bn.
VAT on electricity is £2bn.

So increasing VAT on electricity by 50% would not go anywhere near "keeping current fuel revenue".
And in any case, is not the government plan (or any gov plan), as they are well ahead with studies into nationwide road pricing.

I'm on go faster 20:30 which gives me 5 hours at 5.5p then rest at currently 13.3p, anyone gone with intelligent octopus? the rates don't seem too bad, 5p for six hours 11:30 to 05:30 with 23.4p during day and 26.82 day charge. It doesn't seem bad compared to the 7.5p the new go is set at.

I'm on go faster 20:30 which gives me 5 hours at 5.5p then rest at currently 13.3p, anyone gone with intelligent octopus? the rates don't seem too bad, 5p for six hours 11:30 to 05:30 with 23.4p during day and 26.82 day charge. It doesn't seem bad compared to the 7.5p the new go is set at.
TOU tariffs will soon become the norm, the Intelligent tariff is great for Octopus as they can really deploy that excess wind generation overnight...

I think in time we will see TOU tariffs throughout the day as well.

Looks like Octopus has lost the plot completely. I am on the smart meter, so they should take (and usually did) all the readings remotely.

If I look at my bills, latest 3 bills look like that:
(28th Nov. 2021) - Gas only - Estimation only
(20th Aug. 2021) - Gas only - Estimation only
(19th May 2021) - Electricity Only - smart meter readings. No Gas.

I have no electricity bill since May. Gas meter readings - estimation only. Not that I complain too much, but my balance is like 1k in credit...

Energy prices are savage right now. Friend of mine asked to switch onto his suppliers EV tariff...

20p off peak (4 hours) and 40p peak....

I'm thanking my lucky stars that my Go renewed in december and they have kept the rates the same, 14p peak and 5p off peak but eventually its going to come crashing down and suddenly all our "cheap fuel" will have vanished.

I contacted Octopus Energy two days ago via email, and asked why I hadn't had an electric bill since August.

They replied very quickly and explained on 3 seperate days they had incomplete smart meter data that stopped the automation bill process.

So it appears they over-ride these days by manually chucking in random billing costs to unblock the billing problem.

Sat up last night and created a spreadsheet to double check my downloaded data against my Octopus Go bill.

Thankfully, and happily it's all in order and accurate to the penny.

But was overcharged by £18 from those rogue 'manual intervention' days... I've supplied evidence and asked for this to be refunded.

Other than that, all back on track.

(saved about £1,000 being on Octopus Go in last 6 months, compared to a flat £0.35p tariff example)

Quick question…

I switched to octopus go a few days ago and all my tariff has been set up correctly on my online account and smart meter shows correct day rate etc.

My question is, why does my smart meter display as if I am still being charged the peak rate even when I am charging it in the off peak window.

Obviously I don’t get up in the night to check my smart meter but for example today it shows as used 41kw and £11. 31kw of that was my card charging which I definitely set during off peak hours.

Quick question…

I switched to octopus go a few days ago and all my tariff has been set up correctly on my online account and smart meter shows correct day rate etc.

My question is, why does my smart meter display as if I am still being charged the peak rate even when I am charging it in the off peak window.

Obviously I don’t get up in the night to check my smart meter but for example today it shows as used 41kw and £11. 31kw of that was my card charging which I definitely set during off peak hours.
The display doesn't take into account any different rates (Go, Faster, etc) - it is only capable of showing the "standard" rate through the day.

Quick question…

My indoor smart meter display notifies of rate change about 90 minutes before 00:30