Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What’s Next For Federal EV Tax Credits?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

TMC Staff

May 19, 2017
They’re set to phaseout for Tesla in 2019, with GM close behind, but could Congress extend or eliminate them? Federal tax credits of $7,500 were enacted in 2010 to help spur sales of electric vehicles, which was a priority for the Obama administration. Unfortunately they’re not permanent, and are scheduled to phase out during the...
[WPURI="https://teslamotorsclub.com/blog/2018/11/07/whats-next-federal-ev-tax-credits/"]READ FULL ARTICLE[/WPURI]

Hmm...

Maybe someone could mention to Trump that GENERAL MOTORS (& tesla) are US-American companies with American jerbs... so why should we gift our American electric car tax credit dollars to only FOREIGN automakers? That's just un-American.

Also too: America.

Last edited:
I really do not see this as something the House will consider under the new leadership that takes effect in January. We were fortunate that the Senate removed the repeal of this provision when they debated the TCJA this past December and the House agreed in joint committee.

I think the Democrats in the House will have too many items on their plates in the early going, given the political climate swirling about Washington. An insignificant income tax break (to them, anyway) will not be foremost among the other items that they will want to address.

I hope I am wrong.

were enacted in 2010 to help spur sales of electric vehicles,

With the Model 3 breaking into the "regular" car sales charts (and beating some ICE models), I would think the credit has possibly served its purpose.

In the end, Tesla continuing to take market share from other auto companies will be what really spurs them into making mainstream EVs and not just compliance cars.

To picture what I'm hinting at...

EV%2Bparadox%2B2%2B%25281%2529.jpg

Last edited:
I think the article is incorrect about the phase-out period. It states:

"scheduled to phase out during the calendar year after an automaker sells 200,000 EVs"

"General Motors is expected to be the next automaker to reach 200,000 total EV sales, and it should happen sometime during 2019. That would mean the federal tax break for the Chevrolet Bolt EV (and also the Cadillac CTS and Chevrolet Volt plug-in hybrids) would phase out beginning on January 1, 2020."

As I understand, the phase-out is based on calendar quarters, not calendar years. So, for example, if GM reaches the 200K number in Q1, the phase-out will start in Q3, and so on.

Last edited: