Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What’s the average Wh/mi you are getting

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Lifetime: 190 whr/mi @27,000 miles.
18" aero wheels.
90% highway, California, east bay traffic.
Last 5000 miles, 165 whr/mi...

Efficient driving is too addictive...

Attachments

• 20181012_140441.jpg
    20181012_140441.jpg
    474.3 KB · Views: 90
just to give more info if anyone cares: I am getting 198 wh/mile, 18 inch wheels, aero covers always on, tires always at 45 psi, and I drive at 68 mph on the freeways here (when traffic allows). I don't want a speeding ticket, and my freeway commute has lots of hidden CHP radar traps along the way. also, <70 mph must be helping my energy use.

Lifetime: 190 whr/mi @27,000 miles.
18" aero wheels.
90% highway, California, east bay traffic.
Last 5000 miles, 165 whr/mi...

Efficient driving is too addictive...

Indeed. One time I intentionally skipped a supercharger at night because I knew playing the numbers game would keep me awake. We got over 300 miles on a 250 mile charge in our Model S that night!

I'm at 264 Wh/m with a P3D- and OEM 19s 2,100 miles. I've switched to the 18s with Xice winter tires and it looks like they're about 10% better.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: Snerruc
We're in the mountains of CO.
I just put on Winter tires, Michelin Pilot Alpin PA 4's.
Great tires, I've had them before.
But I've noticed I'm taking a 5 to 6 percent hit on range. Makes sense, the tires are softer.

@spinbackwards,

What are your current temps? Is it still warm or have the temps dropped? I’m assuming the rubber will be firmer/harder as it gets colder which will lessen the range hit from the tires as opposed to warmer temps but then you’re dealing with battery degradation due to cold. May be a wash. I just ordered some PA4’s. Hopefully the hit isn’t too bad compared to the 4Ss. I was just in Denver on business and it was 32 degrees with freezing mix/precipitation, so you got them on just in time!
What did it do to your kWh/mi? In other words what was your energy use before compared to the PA4’s? Is this on a P3D+? What tires were you running previously?

Ski

Last edited:
AWD with 18" wheels. I had the aero caps on until this week. I've put 532 miles on the car in just under 3 weeks since delivery; about 200 on the freeway @70-75 mph and the rest in the city. I don't really drive with a heavy foot. I'm averaging 316 Wh/mi. Probably need to check my tire pressure. Is 45lb the optimal PSI?

AWD with 18" wheels. I had the aero caps on until this week. I've put 532 miles on the car in just under 3 weeks since delivery; about 200 on the freeway @70-75 mph and the rest in the city. I don't really drive with a heavy foot. I'm averaging 316 Wh/mi. Probably need to check my tire pressure. Is 45lb the optimal PSI?
I think the door jamb sticker says 41 psi for 18's.

Wow, how are people driving so efficiently?

I'm at 269 Wh/mi over the first 400 miles (LR, 18" aero wheels at 44psi).

I'm coming from a Prius, and thought I was driving pretty efficiently... (at least it worked well for the Prius...) But, I'm having trouble bringing my average down. I'm in SoCal, and the weather is good. I tried driving like a total granny all day, and I kept it at 220wh/mi (since last charge) for a while, but after I hit some traffic (requiring some decelerations) and then drove up the (small) hill back to my house at the end of the day, I was back to about 269...

Last edited:
Raleigh is a lot hillier than many people think, and that makes it tough on mileage whether it’s an ICE or EV. We’re currently at 254Wh/m over the first 2,000 miles of driving, and I was pretty happy with that until I saw some of the numbers here. That said, we drive enthusiastically and do zero hypermiling techniques whatsoever.

For the life of me I can't wrap my head around this whr/mi business. Every BEV consumption figure over here is in kWh per 100km, which is much more akin to the ICE equivalent litres/100 km.

But from what I gather, I can get the kWh per 100km by multiplying the whr/mi value with 0.0621371192.
By that measure, even an average consumption of 254 whr/mi would be equivalent to around 16 kWh per 100 km, which is an excellent value for a car as powerful and large as the Model 3.

Last edited:
216 Wh/M, 18+aero AWD 3D, standard 43psi, no heater use, lots of hills, efficient driving + love of acceleration. Some 20M trips as low as 166 Wh/M. Am amazed by efficiency of model 3. My Leaf would see 3.8 - 4 M/KWh but the model 3 is getting 4.6 - 6 M/KWh.