Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What’s the average Wh/mi you are getting

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Do any of you happen to have the power consumption numbers of the M3 at 100mph or more? I haven´t found any numbers beyond the 80mph mark yet and 100+mph is what we germans are interested in most ;)

The model S is around 420+ wh/km at 180km/h I´d love to know how the M3 holds up here.

2,100 miles with aero wheels, averaging 227 using chill mode. Don't have a heavy foot but that is probably because I came from a Prius V where a heavy foot didn't do anything:)
Mostly around town with some highway. Have yet to do any prolonged highway driving at 70+ though.

Same here for me. I came from a Honda Insight so I have a relatively light foot. I've launched a few times, but I don't drive that normally. My average is 208 Wh/mi so far over 448.6 miles in normal mode, not chill mode.
AVG.jpg

Wow, I'm jealous. I think I've been driving reasonably and am quite pleased with ~240Wh/mi (19" sport wheels).. I've been bragging about the eMPG equivalent to friends but have a way to go to match the numbers on this post.

We'll keep in mind that where I live there are also speed cameras everywhere that mail you tickets so it's made me paranoid over time with driving over the speed limit. I think it would be more representative for me after a few thousand miles.

• Informative
Reactions: Pkmmte
I'm at 230 wh/mile after 4000 miles lifetime average, and I'm surprised that it is actually a better number than what most of you listed. I run the AC most of the time, I drive fast, accelerate hard, I pulled my Aero hubcaps off and put on the cap and lug nut cover kit about 2500 miles ago.

I know that if I do a speed run to 110 or 120+ on a local 1 mile long stretch of cop-free road, it removes 4 to 6 miles of estimated range in 30 seconds or less!

Wow, I thought my 234 wH/mile (over ~400 miles so far) was pretty good, but I see that many are getting far better than that.

It has been quite hot here recently, so I'm sure A/C detracts a little bit at the least.

Driving scenarios really matter a lot too. For example, most of my weekday driving is in heavy stop-n-go traffic and low speed driving. Lot of regen usage. Also, if your commute is short and filled with red lights, you may find you have a higher energy usage. Co-worker lives close to work, and his totals are around 260-270'ish for a much shorter commute, where he still enjoys taking off from red lights pretty heavy.

3,070 miles since April 26th 260 wh/mi on 19" sport wheels. AC always on as the weather has been in the 90s and up. Most of my trips are about 60 miles each way dropping 1,000 feet going and going up 1,000 returning. Looking at my TeslaFi trips I see that the typical go power usage is 215 Wh/Mile and the return is 283 Wh/Mile. My around town is much worse on short trips it will be up in the 354 Wh/Mi which is strange given that I am driving below 50 mph versus my trips where I am usually driving around 75 mph.

So Aeros? Garage? Chill Mode? What's your secret?

Prior to the Model 3, I had a Volt for 2.5 years. Before that I had a Prius for 10 years. The MPG feedback on those vehicles seems to have trained me to be more efficient in general. I don't think there is just 1 "secret". It's a lot of small things that all add up.

Aeros? Yes.
Garage? Yes at home. No at the office.
Preconditioning while plugged in before most drives? Yes (but not always).
Chill mode? Yes (but I'll switch it to Standard when letting someone try driving it or I have a passenger in the car for their first time)
EAP? Yes.

I also keep the battery as close to half way charged as I reasonably can. As an example, I have access to a 24 amp Level 2 charger at work. It is a 40 mile commute each way. I leave work with 40 miles above half: (310 / 2) + 40 = 195 miles. I arrive home at a bit more than half full since I'm more efficient than the calculated range. A few miles of range are lost overnight while the car sleeps. I leave for work with anywhere from a few miles less than half to a few miles more than half. When I get to work I'm 30 to 40 miles below half. Then I plug in and charge back up to 40 miles above half again.

The weather here in the Chicagoland area has been pleasant enough in the mornings and evenings (when I do most of my driving) that I can usually open all four windows between a 1/4 inch and 1/2 inch and remain comfortable without needing to run the A/C (although there were a few days when I decided the A/C was necessary to keep myself or my passengers comfortable). 90% or more of my driving is expressway. I get in the right-hand hand lane. I set the TACC speed at the exact speed limit. I set my following distance at the maximum (7). If I encounter a slower vehicle in my lane, I just stay behind them and allow the TACC to match their speed. I don't change lanes and go around them. I watch ahead when approaching on-ramps. If there is a vehicle on the ramp I adjust the TACC down by 1 or 2 MPH to allow a gap for them to easily merge in without me needing to accelerate or decelerate hard to get out of their way. Once they've merged I adjust the TACC back up to the speed limit. If I see traffic slowing ahead and/or brake lights ahead, I start reducing my speed in 1 or 2 MPH increments before I get there. By the time the TACC needs to slow me down I'm already only a few MPH faster than traffic is moving (or already at 18 MPH if traffic is stopped). I leave a larger gap between myself and the car in front of me when off the expressway as well allowing a more gradual braking for me when they stop (and often allowing me to avoid coming to a stop before they start up again).

The land here is rather flat, my travel is largely North and South while prevailing winds tend to be from the West to East so it is rare that I need to deal with much of a headwind. Heavy rain will result in a significant drop in efficiency for a trip, but most of our rain this season has been when I'm not driving (mid-day or overnight). About 8 miles of any trip to or from home has a speed limit of 70 MPH. Then the limit drops to 65 MPH for the next 12 miles or so. After that I'm close enough to the city that most of the expressways have a limit of 55 MPH.

In terms of efficiency, regen braking is better than friction braking, but NOT braking is better than regen braking. The OPTIMAL efficiency if there were no other cars on the roads, and you could perfectly time your stops would be to accelerate slowly up to your necessary travel speed, maintain exactly that speed for the duration of your drive, and then coast without regen (effectively in neutral) back down to a stop exactly at your destination. Unfortunately, the real world gets in the way, and we often need to accelerate hard enough to get out of the way, travel at speeds fast enough not to inhibit the traffic around us, and stop faster than coasting would allow. In these real world conditions, efficiency can be maximized by accelerating no harder than necessary, driving no faster than necessary, and starting any stops as soon as possible allowing the minimum amount of regen that will stop us without needing to use the friction brakes and increasing the probability that the obstruction will move before we need to come to a stop.

• Informative
Reactions: bsf29 and TT97
Picked up the car a bit more than 5 weeks ago (May 18th). Since then, I've driven over 3,600 miles. I've got an average of 200 Wh/mi over that distance:

View attachment 312258
That’s really amazing. Can you add some details about usage. Weight in car. Temp and ac use. Avg mph? That’s about 20% better than most users over a significant distance.

Belay my last. I see now that you’ve posted more details in the interim.

Last edited:
I've 948 miles on the car, though my trips were reset when Tesla replaced the computer in my car. So my info is:

705.6 miles at 286 Wh/mi using 18" aero.

I just got back from a trip to Corpus Christi, which accounts for over half those miles, on roads with speed limits of 75 mph (TACC set for 80). I expect the Wh/mi will trend down as I put more local miles on the car.

I have 1054 miles and I’m getting 209 wh/mi. Mostly a half hour commute on slow roads, but a couple of longer highway trips in there. 18/aero. I keep the ac on, but the temps have been great outside. I try to keep to within 5 mph of the speed limit. One big difference from my previous cars is that I am using the strong regen to slow down and sometimes stop, so I am slowing down sooner and more so than I have in the past. The strong regen helps encourage good driving habits and it also helps recharge the battery.

Prior to the Model 3, I had a ... Prius for 10 years.

I get in the right-hand hand lane. I set the TACC speed at the exact speed limit. I set my following distance at the maximum (7). If I encounter a slower vehicle in my lane, I just stay behind them and allow the TACC to match their speed. I don't change lanes and go around them. I watch ahead when approaching on-ramps. If there is a vehicle on the ramp I adjust the TACC down by 1 or 2 MPH to allow a gap for them to easily merge in without me needing to accelerate or decelerate hard to get out of their way. Once they've merged I adjust the TACC back up to the speed limit.

Yeah, that is where I am going wrong. I set mine to +6, I live in CA and it's difficult to drive the speed limit. My patience is where I am going wrong, and the car is so fast it's easy to pass instead of just sitting there. Succumbing to temptation. I am sure the wife would be happier if I drove more like you.

-Randy

Last edited: