Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What’s the average Wh/mi you are getting

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve often wondered why wh/mi became the standard instead of mi/kWh; the latter is more analogous to mpg in that higher is better (eg my 3 gets 3.8 mi/kwh vs my 3 gets 261 wh/mi).

I'm pretty sure the Chevy Volt and Bolt both report mi/kWh.

I don't think there is a "standard". I think each manufacturer chooses whichever they prefer. Tesla prefers wh/mi.

I suppose there might be a slight psychological benefit to reporting wh/mi instead of mi/kWh...

When reporting mi/kWh, an increase from 4 to 4.5 "sounds like" it's the same as an increase from 3 to 3.5 (they're both an increase of half a mile).

However, by reporting wh/mi for the exact same half-a-mile improvements we can see that a decrease in energy used per mile from 250 watt-hours to 222 watt-hours (28 watt-hours saved every mile) is not nearly as much of an improvement as a decrease in energy used per mile from 333 watt-hours to 286 watt-hours (47 watt-hours saved every mile).

By reporting wh/mi, each increment up or down is the exact same amount of energy saved for the same trip. A decrease of 10 watt-hours per mile for a 100 mile trip is an improvement in total energy saved of 1 kWh regardless of whether you improved from 250 watt-hours per mile to 240 watt-hours per mile or you improved from 333 watt hours per mile to 323 watt hours per mile.

• Informative
Reactions: Dr. J
I think it's just like the reason Fahrenheit is better than Celcius. Going from comfortable to uncomfortable in a degree or two leaves too much range. You can always add a decimal, "It's 23.7° out", but I think humans tend to ignore everything after the decimal:

Child: It's only a dollar
Mom: $1.99 is not "only a dollar"

Bad example, nothing a kid wants is a dollar anymore.

If only there was a deca-kilowatt we could measure by. Then it would be 45.87 m/d (miles per deca-kilo-watt) instead of 4.59 m/k. Oh, and 'k' could mean kilowatt or kilometer, confusing. So having the measure start with a 'd' would be better for that too.

-Randy

Reactions: MaryAnning3
Mar 31 to Sept 31, roughly the warm half of the year, I got 184Wh/mi lifetime average (~9k miles). I think that's as low as I'm gonna get. The cold weather is going to pull that number higher inevitably.

312 Wh/mi over the past 1700 miles. I have the P3D+, TACC set to +10/+15.

90% on the highway, so speeds are typically 75-85.

I’m thinking about getting some Aeros...

It was 46F when I left this morning and it’ll be about 80F when I leave work. 190 mile drive, one-way. I typically have the thermostat set to 70~72F.

Currently sitting at 353 Wh/mi and 76 miles in... not great. I do have about a 1500ft elevation change at the start of the commute which sends me over 500 Wh/mi.

312 Wh/mi over the past 1700 miles. I have the P3D+, TACC set to +10/+15.

90% on the highway, so speeds are typically 75-85.

I’m thinking about getting some Aeros...

It was 46F when I left this morning and it’ll be about 80F when I leave work. 190 mile drive, one-way. I typically have the thermostat set to 70~72F.

Currently sitting at 353 Wh/mi and 76 miles in... not great. I do have about a 1500ft elevation change at the start of the commute which sends me over 500 Wh/mi.

Wow ... nearly 400 miles round trip! You do this every day? :eek:

High speed is the enemy of low Wh/mi. If I did not have traffic for 60%+ of my commute to keep me slow my metric would be 10% to 20% higher
IMG_20180930_121722.jpg

My all time range over 11K miles is 228 wh/mile. What I find astounding is range does not change much in a headwind. My Model X range is destroyed by headwinds, but I drove in a 20-35 mph headwind for 4 hours last weekend and the range in my Model 3 was barely affected.

• Informative
Reactions: omgwtfbyobbq
19" Sport, very consistent 275 wh/mile. I cannot tell from all of these posts if that is the wheels, or if something is amiss.
Drive mix is quite normal. We definitely are not getting 310 miles of range.
Interesting note: an *unloaded* 1up-USA double bike rack on the back (connected to torklift hitch) doesn't appear to change mileage at all.

Wow, these are way better than mine. I am 2700 miles in and I am at 298 lifetime average. Most of those 2700 have been highway at +10 vs the speed limit. Yesterday was my first real city commute day and I was averaging 320! I have an AWD 19” wheels.