Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What’s The Best Windshield Sunshade?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Another +1 here for Heatshields. I've used them in various cars for almost 30 years. (Started when they were located in Mountain View, then Sunnyvale, now in Morgan Hill, California.) They are custom fitted for each car, and sometimes even by option - such as for cars that are available with or without forward cameras. They do roll up, rather than fold, and have a velcro strap to keep it rolled. They will last 5 or more years in the California sun before the foam backing starts to deteriorate. Less if you throw it on the floor where kids and other passengers step on it.

• Funny
Reactions: SMAlset
We received the AutoHeatshield folding windshield sun shade. It fits very well. The front edge slips into the small gap between the black fabric dash section and the windshield and flattens the sun shade perfectly. There is a small ½” section of exposed glass between the top of the sun shade and the top frame of the windshield when the shade is slipped into the dash gap. It’s not a concern at all, but I thought I’d mention it. If the sun shade isn’t pressed into the dash gap, the glass will be completely covered, but we’re more interested in keeping the sun off the dashboard.

I used heat shield for my older cars; did not like how bulky they are but they worked well. For the 2020 Model S, I find the heat shield did not fit well. I got front and back sunshades for me and a friend (Model 3). The back one is awkward to place in the window, and the suction cups don't stick. My friend and I both (independently) gave up and never used the back one. The front one is too small so light gets in. Looking for another brand...

Model 3 has excellent cabin temperature control, so I ended up with a minimal setup with those wire fold up covers.

Most of the covers are too short and won't properly cover the Model 3's windshield, but I found one that's actually tall enough to cover from top to bottom. Link here. It's only $13, and it doesn't block 99% of sunlight, but it folds very easily and I can tuck it under the passenger seat.

I have the UVS-100 as well. $63 total. I use the same sunshade for my Porsche and in both cases, very happy with the quality and construction of the product. They're also custom fitted, so they fit perfectly against the windshield of both of my cars.

A reviewer on amazon says the heatshield is bulky when rolled up and takes up a lot of room in the trunk. Does this bother anyone that has it?

A two person household here, we each have our own car. Been using mine over two summers now. When driving alone I just place it in the passenger side floor leaning on the seat, easy to reach that way. Rolling up quickly or unrolling to place back on the windshield hasn’t been a problem for me. If I’ll have a passenger then it just goes on the floor in the back which is still pretty easy for me to reach from the driver’s seat. Definitely like having the protection for the dash from the heat. Rest of the year I keep in the garage and wipe down come Summer again when it stays in the car.