Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What’s the better choice? $6K for EAP or $12K for FSD?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
At the very least "beta testers" should be able to transfer their very expensive FSD purchase with their account to new cars down the line as a sort of brand loyalty program. They are paying a ridiculous amount of money for something that doesn't even work yet (if ever) without significant oversight and interventions. This would have two obvious benefits for Tesla, more people would buy into FSD, and more people would buy ANOTHER Tesla down the road instead of one of many competing vehicles coming out since they already bought into FSD for a large sum of money.
The irony here is that you can do just this if you sub monthly — I think $200 is likely the breakpoint where adoption will fall off a cliff if you charge more than that.

There’s no upside to throwing $12,000 (and soon $15,000) at this.

• Disagree
Reactions: glide
At the very least "beta testers" should be able to transfer their very expensive FSD purchase with their account to new cars down the line as a sort of brand loyalty program. They are paying a ridiculous amount of money for something that doesn't even work yet (if ever) without significant oversight and interventions. This would have two obvious benefits for Tesla, more people would buy into FSD, and more people would buy ANOTHER Tesla down the road instead of one of many competing vehicles coming out since they already bought into FSD for a large sum of money.

Yeah - this is what would make more sense to me. Right now, Tesla manages FSD as optioned onto a specific car - you would have to buy it again on another newer car, or even if your current car was in an accident and replaced. Given that it's a pure software option and Tesla itself wipes it off the car if you trade it in, making it a feature of your Tesla Account - applicable to one single car you own - that would make a ton more sense and eliminate the risk of losing a very expensive software option.

And again, if you have to keep your hand on the wheel every seconnd it's in use, it ain't a feature.

Most driving is local but twice a month I do a 300 mile trip almost all interstate highways. Trying to decide on long term value before price increases. If I order it thru the app on my phone is it simply an OTA software update (my car came with FSD but it is disabled because I bought a dealer demo car)?
Depends how long you plan on keeping the car. Short term EAP is a better value, long term FSD.
IMHO.

Last edited:
I think it may be worth it when it’s a flawless product. Until then I’d be happy with typical AP and pay the monthly costs down the road if meets better expectations. Think like a human faster than 15 seconds in some scenarios. I will give it credit many scenarios posted online.

I always felt EAP was a good package for $5,000 before AP became standard.
Yes, I have EAP for both our Tesla before AP became standard. But now if I buy another Tesla, I won't get EAP. I only use the standard AP. I don't use any of the other things, summon, smart summon, auto lane change, nav on autopilot, auto park at all.

Last edited:
Reactions: ElectricIAC
Neither. Put the $6K or $12K in Tesla stock.

Then buy the $199/month subscription as needed. You’ll probably wind up coming out ahead with that strategy.
I put $92,000 into Tesla stock so I could take advantage of the 3 for 1 split last week. As of today, I am down $9,000. What is $6K or $12K of Tesla stock going to get me? Well I guess less of a loss, but what I was really looking for are comments from people who own both and what does the Advanced give me that Autopilot does not? In my opinon, FSD is at least 2 years from being the dream fulfilled, but some people love it. My neighbor has a Plaid S and loves the FSD. Keep in mind driving for 2 years in South Carolina is nothing like driving in NYC or NJ where I came from. Thanks for your suggestion.

Last edited:
I just traded in my 2018 M3 for a 2022 MY and decided to add on FSD. I previously purchased FSD on my 2018 because 1.) at time of purchase there was just EAP | FSD | or nothing and I really wanted Autopilot. 2.) A few years later they offered FSD for an extra 2000, so I jumped on it.

I tried using basic AP for the first two days, and I really missed not having auto-lane change. I wish it was cheaper than a $6000 add-on with EAP, but after having with my previous car, it really annoyed me not having it.

I decided to go for the FSD over just EAP, because I previously had the FSD beta, and I knew over time I would miss it too. While I rarely let it take any turns for me, I really appreciated having it do stoplights for me. Over time, I learned what FSD can and can't do well and made use of what it does well. It just stinks I need to go through the safety score again to get FSD beta on the new car.

Overall you need to know your financial situation and decide if it is worth it or not. If you can afford it and want to have all the autonomous features Tesla offers, than go for it. But just know that FSD isn't going to be perfect and you always need to be ready to take over at any time.

• Disagree
Reactions: ElectricIAC
I put $92,000 into Tesla stock so I could take advantage of the 3 for 1 split last week. As of today, I am down $9,000. What is $6K or $12K of Tesla stock going to get me? Well I guess less of a loss, but what I was really looking for are comments from people who own both and what does the Advanced give me that Autopilot does not? In my opinon, FSD is at least 2 years from being the dream fulfilled, but some people love it. My neighbor has a Plaid S and loves the FSD. Keep in mind driving for 2 years in South Carolina is nothing like driving in NYC or NJ where I came from. Thanks for your suggestion.
Trick is buy low sell high.
Wait till quarter end. Good news usually lift the price up👍