Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What’s the deal with second hand Wall Connectors?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello, I am a relatively new Tesla model three owner. Been in it about six months and love it so far. The first thing I did was install a NEMA 50 amp outlet in my garage and started using the mobile charger that came with the car. I believed that if I was patient and watched the for sale forums I’d surely be able to pick up a full blown wall connector for a good deal less than what they cost brand new. Boy was I wrong! Why is it that these items all seem to be for sale for sometimes hundreds of dollars more than a brand new one would cost it? It makes me think I may not understand some of the factors out there affecting price.

Why is someone going to buy a Gen II charger from bubba on CL for $800 when’s brand new Gen III charger is available, with support and a warranty and more features for $500? It can’t just be the length of the cable. Though I admit I might forgo was seems to be pointless WIFI capability for a six foot longer cable.

Confused.

TL ; DR = Many people feel that the Gen 2 wall connector is currently superior to the Gen 3.

Slightly longer explanation:

The Gen 3 has wifi and the Gen 2 does not, but the Gen 3 also has a shorter cable (18 feet vs 24) a thinner cable, and no current ability to share power with another wall connector (although that is supposed to be coming at some point).

Additionally, LOTS of gen 3 owners are reporting charging issues. See the threads below:

Which charger do you recommend?

One more thing, OP

Its my opinion that waiting for a "deal on a used wall connector" is a bit of a strange thing to do. Its not like once people install these things, there is a large number of people that then uninstall them. Most wall connectors on the market will be NEW ones that people simply have not installed yet, or thought they could install themselves but found it more difficult than they anticipated.

its sort of like waiting for a deal on a "used TV wall mount" or something. Once its installed in a home, people tend to leave it there. If they are taking it off the wall for some strange reason, its either because its broken, or they are taking it with them to another location.

What you would be looking for in the second hand market is a deal on a new wall connector that someone has in their possession and has not installed (or tried to install but didnt).

There is not going to be some market materialize for $200 wall connectors, for example.

Combine that with the fact that the Gen 2 ones are no longer available, and desired by some, and you have a situation where for some they are worth more than list price.

You would have more luck buying a gen 3 for somewhat of a discount, but given the issues many are having with that device, it would be better to buy it from tesla so that there is some sort of warranty on it vs the second hand market, where the ones being sold might be being sold because the owner had "issues" with it.

Tesla wall connectors are for the most part "lifetime" appliances that are only removed in the event of their failure. Most people do not have the skills for removing them, inspecting, and packaging them.

What you see on eBay are new Wall Connectors by sellers who are waiting for Tesla to go out of stock. Any used items will also fetch a high price in the event that the Tesla store is sold out.

TL ; DR = Many people feel that the Gen 2 wall connector is currently superior to the Gen 3.

Slightly longer explanation:

The Gen 3 has wifi and the Gen 2 does not, but the Gen 3 also has a shorter cable (18 feet vs 24) a thinner cable, and no current ability to share power with another wall connector (although that is supposed to be coming at some point).

Additionally, LOTS of gen 3 owners are reporting charging issues. See the threads below:

Which charger do you recommend?

Gen3 wall charger can power split with another gen3 charger...

There are plenty of new and used Wall Connectors on eBay, OfferUp, Facebook Marketplace. However, I agree with the OP that there is something wrong with the second hand market of Tesla chargers, both mobile connector and wall connector. People seem to think that Tesla owners are willing to pay anything for a charger. I have seen Gen 2 Wall Charger for $1500 new and over $800 for used ones. The mobile connector that sells for $270 people are looking to sell for $400 and even more.

https://www.amazon.com/Tesla-Motors...la+gen+2+wall+connector&qid=1602786470&sr=8-3

Who in their right mind would buy one of those... the only "real" difference with the Gen 3 for $500 is 6 feet of cable and 20amps capacity (which only older cars can use anyway). I would but 2 Gen 3's before I buy the one from the Amazon seller.

• Helpful
Reactions: Buskeyl
There are plenty of new and used Wall Connectors on eBay, OfferUp, Facebook Marketplace. However, I agree with the OP that there is something wrong with the second hand market of Tesla chargers, both mobile connector and wall connector. People seem to think that Tesla owners are willing to pay anything for a charger. I have seen Gen 2 Wall Charger for $1500 new and over $800 for used ones. The mobile connector that sells for $270 people are looking to sell for $400 and even more.

https://www.amazon.com/Tesla-Motors...la+gen+2+wall+connector&qid=1602786470&sr=8-3

Who in their right mind would buy one of those... the only "real" difference with the Gen 3 for $500 is 6 feet of cable and 20amps capacity (which only older cars can use anyway). I would but 2 Gen 3's before I buy the one from the Amazon seller.

I dont believe in buying anything sold by "predatory sellers" and am not really into paying over MSRP for anything, but there is always someone trying to prey on unsuspecting people.

While I personally like the gen 2 wall connector over the gen 3, I certainly wouldnt pay over MSRP for a gen 2. I would just buy a gen 3 from tesla and expect it to work, or for them to replace it with a working unit (warranty and all, etc).

I just dont think there is going to be a large market for "used wall connectors" which is what the OP was talking about waiting for. I mentioned the reasons already why I believe that. Plenty of new ones though, or ones that have been opened but not fully installed.

People with lots of $, when it goes out of stock. Just like a last minute airplane ticket.

There are 14 completed eBay sales of wall connectors over $1,000 in since August 2020. Mostly Gen3, brand new.

Screen Shot 2020-10-15 at 5.19.11 PM.png

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
I dont believe in buying anything sold by "predatory sellers" and am not really into paying over MSRP for anything, but there is always someone trying to prey on unsuspecting people.

While I personally like the gen 2 wall connector over the gen 3, I certainly wouldnt pay over MSRP for a gen 2. I would just buy a gen 3 from tesla and expect it to work, or for them to replace it with a working unit (warranty and all, etc).

I just dont think there is going to be a large market for "used wall connectors" which is what the OP was talking about waiting for. I mentioned the reasons already why I believe that. Plenty of new ones though, or ones that have been opened but not fully installed.

Make sense to me. I’m a tech type, so for example, I sold the Voltec charger with the Volt I replaced with the model 3. I suppose I just expected to see used chargers that were left behind, or from people who got rid of their Tesla. But I can see your point about it not exactly being a hot market. And I was not aware of the issues with the Gen3 charger, so thanks for that info too. I just have a hard time shelling out $500 for something that will charge my car a little faster the what I already have. 48 amp vs 32 Amp. That and I already went on a trip and forgot to throw the charger in the car. Not a big deal, but still. And understand that some are just trying to prey on those that can’t wait. But in theism case it seem like all of them want more. Weird.

Make sense to me. I’m a tech type, so for example, I sold the Voltec charger with the Volt I replaced with the model 3. But Incan see your point about it not exactly being a hot market. And I was not aware of the issues with the Gen3 charger, so thanks for that info too. I just have a hard time shelling out $500 for something that will charge my car a little faster the what I already have. 48 amp vs 32 Amp. That and I already went on a trip and forgot to throw the charger in the car. Not a big deal, but still. And understand that some are just trying to prey on those that can’t wait. But in theism case it seem like all of them want more. Weird.

If you have a Model 3, it has to be a Long Range one to even charge at 48 Amps. SR and SR+ only charge at 32 max. The charger that comes with the car is fine for most. I had a wall connector installed when I got my model 3 because I wanted "the fastest home charging available" and frankly because I liked how it looked. I am not sorry in the slightest for installing it, but can also say that there has never once been a time when I "needed" the 48amp charging speed vs the 32amp speed of the mobile connector that comes with the car.

To be clear, I would do it again (install the wall connector), but thats because I prefer the looks. I like how it looks "finished" so I would do it again, but I certainly dont "need" it and my commute to work and back takes between 100 rated miles and 130 rated miles depending on time of year and weather, so its not like I only drive 10 miles to work or something.

Reactions: nomis_nehc
Hard to believe.

Not when you have a limited supply of something. Its just basic economics. High demand, low supply, and a few very rich buyers.

The same goes for limited releases of iPhones, Tesla Model 3, video game consoles, etc. Only in this case the shortage has been going on for years, and that is unique.

I just have a hard time shelling out $500 for something that will charge my car a little faster the what I already have.

Charging speed isn't the main reason that people are buying wall connectors, but if money is the criteria, what you need is the UMC. You can buy a second if you need.

Wall Connector vs Mobile Connector (UMC) - Tesla Info Wiki

Reactions: jjrandorin