Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What’s the difference between the Mobile connector and Corded mobile connector?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am confused by the difference between these items? The regular mobile connector seems like it comes with more plugs but the corded mobile connector says its news and charges faster?

The Corded Mobile Connector can draw a maximum of 40A from a NEMA 14-50 outlet.

The Mobile Connector can draw a maximum of 32A, even if it is using the NEMA 14-50 adapter.

Generally I'd advise to use the Corded Mobile Connector if you have a NEMA 14-50 outlet and want marginally faster charging (the difference between 32A max and 40A max might not be as big as many people think it is). Use the Mobile Connector if you're going to be using any other kind of outlet, either at home or away.

(Personally I have a Corded Mobile Connector that stays at home, and a Mobile Connector that stays in the car with a full set of adapters. That might be a touch of overkill, particularly in Supercharger-rich California, but I've been doing this for awhile and old habits die hard. 😎 )

Bruce.

The corded mobile connector can ONLY be used on a 14-50 outlet. With the mobile connector you can buy a host of adapters so it can be used in lots of places such as RV parks, your friend’s house, or with a simple 120v outlet.

My advice, however, is to buy the wall connector instead. The cost of the mobile connector is $200 and it now includes the 14-50 adapter. You will also need to spend $35ish for some sort of cable management system and $150+ for a GFCI breaker, which totals $385. If you install something other than a 14-50 outlet in your home add another $45 for an adapter.

The wall connector is $400 plus $15 for a breaker. The wall connector has a longer cable (24’ versus 20’), is waterproof, has built in power sharing, and is a “connected” device. The wall connector can be configured to operate on circuits of 15, 20, 30, 40, 50 and 60-amps. Your charging speed is 80% of the circuit capacity e.g. 60-amps * 80% = 48-amps charging rate.

If you feel the need you can buy a mobile connector and leave it in the car when you travel. A lot people never have this need even when they travel.

For permanent home charging setup purchase a wall connector and install it hard wired to a 60amp circuit.

Mobile connector is good for use when traveling and the standard mobile connector (first link in your post) can take adapters for many different plug types.

I would not use a mobile connector for permanent home charging.

The Corded Mobile Connector can draw a maximum of 40A from a NEMA 14-50 outlet.

The Mobile Connector can draw a maximum of 32A, even if it is using the NEMA 14-50 adapter.

Generally I'd advise to use the Corded Mobile Connector if you have a NEMA 14-50 outlet and want marginally faster charging (the difference between 32A max and 40A max might not be as big as many people think it is). Use the Mobile Connector if you're going to be using any other kind of outlet, either at home or away.

(Personally I have a Corded Mobile Connector that stays at home, and a Mobile Connector that stays in the car with a full set of adapters. That might be a touch of overkill, particularly in Supercharger-rich California, but I've been doing this for awhile and old habits die hard. 😎 )

Bruce.
Unfortunately the corded mobile connector is frequently out of stock. I use the mobile connector that came with my 2022 MYLR (Dec. 2021 deliver so mobile connector still came with car) and a NEMA 14-50 adaptor for home charging. I never unplug it. I find the charging speed perfectly adequate, although I admit that the wall connector looks really nice. I also bought a mobile connector and 14-50 adapter that I keep in car, but as you said, road trips in most of California have ample access to superchargers.

Unfortunately the corded mobile connector is frequently out of stock. I use the mobile connector that came with my 2022 MYLR (Dec. 2021 deliver so mobile connector still came with car) and a NEMA 14-50 adaptor for home charging. I never unplug it. I find the charging speed perfectly adequate, although I admit that the wall connector looks really nice. I also bought a mobile connector and 14-50 adapter that I keep in car, but as you said, road trips in most of California have ample access to superchargers.
Like you I've used nothing but the mobile connector for 4 years now on my M3 and now my MY, no issues. I unplug it 2-3 times a year to take along for long trips but haven't yet had to use it. I've tried to rationalize buying the wall unit but have no need for it....

I am confused by the difference between these items? The regular mobile connector seems like it comes with more plugs but the corded mobile connector says its news and charges faster?...

For those coming across this 2022 Thread and who still have questions: see this 2023 Thread comparing Tesla mobile connectors.