Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What’s the dumbest thing you’ve heard about EVs?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've never heard anyone say either of the above, but I've heard people say that you have to buy a new battery pack for many thousands of dollars every few years.

Maybe the dumbest thing I've heard people say (probably coming out of an organized FUD campaign) is that EVs have a bigger carbon footprint than gas cars because of battery manufacture and disposal.

I've heard the usual ones such as battery needing replacement every few years etc. But the one below really that left me scratching my head the other day.

We have free vehicle charging at work which is pretty awesome. These spots are mostly empty and it's great parking near the entrance. We actually hosted an event where Tesla came and offered test drives during the work day a few months back. The other day the receptionist and a gentlemen in the entry way at work asked me a question about range and charging when I was walking in after parking and plugging in. I told them about the EPA rated range, and some of situations that can cause lower or higher actual range. Then we discussed charging, supercharging, costs, etc.

Once I finished up giving them an overview, she said the person from Tesla said the battery lasts two hours. I asked more questions to try to qualify that with a certain driving condition or something else. She could only say that they told her it lasts two hours. I straightened her out and explained that at very high speeds on the highway that may be the case, but in most situations you can drive for a lot longer than two hours. She also took it to mean it can't be unplugged for more than two hours. It seems like that was failure of the Tesla staff for not properly explaining the range, charging, and how various situations effect it.

Sigh, I've had the traffic jam one asked, and pointed out that they sit there running in the showroom 8+ hours/day in the showrooms. I hear about the battery replacement, and I point out the 8year/100k miles

when told about the carbon footprint, I say "Not really, but don't care, because I didn't buy it because of carbon footprint, I bought it because it was a great car, that fir my needs"

Maybe the dumbest thing I've heard people say (probably coming out of an organized FUD campaign) is that EVs have a bigger carbon footprint than gas cars because of battery manufacture and disposal.

This one is technically true (regarding manufacture) but after 6-18 months of actual use (depending on the EV and amount of use) it has evened back up, and all EV use after that is heavily in favor of the EV.

People always complain about the lack of engine noise. They tell me car is fun to drive but would really miss engine winding out and transmission shifting.
Its funny, I was sort of missing this today. I try to drive very smoothly, and always used engine note as a proxy for engine load (sort of like the load gauge does, but audible). I find my highway speed (when not using TACC) tends to vary more than I like - Say I'm trying to drive 60, I'll find myself varying from 57-63, vs 59-61 or so. The engine note was a form of feedback that is just missing

Reactions: hcdavis3
Dumbest? There was a guy on the Bimmerfest forums insisting that the electrical motors would cause physical ailments due to electromagnetic interference. He claimed that he had health problems when driving a Prius that cleared up when he got back into a BMW.

Now that's pretty dumb. Probably wears one of those magic bracelets to 'balance the ions in his blood using magnetism'.

Dumbest? There was a guy on the Bimmerfest forums insisting that the electrical motors would cause physical ailments due to electromagnetic interference. He claimed that he had health problems when driving a Prius that cleared up when he got back into a BMW.

Now that's pretty dumb. Probably wears one of those magic bracelets to 'balance the ions in his blood using magnetism'.

Wait, did he also say it causes cancer and has secret service around him?

Its funny, I was sort of missing this today. I try to drive very smoothly, and always used engine note as a proxy for engine load (sort of like the load gauge does, but audible). I find my highway speed (when not using TACC) tends to vary more than I like - Say I'm trying to drive 60, I'll find myself varying from 57-63, vs 59-61 or so. The engine note was a form of feedback that is just missing

I think this is why when I drive my Subaru, I gun it a little more than I did before getting an ev.

...I've heard people say that you have to buy a new battery pack for many thousands of dollars every few years.
Sadly, this is partially factual, at least for my 2012 Nissan LEAF. After 7 years it’s range is about half the original EPA range, and about ⅓ of the range for which the car was marketed. The “fix” is a replacement for $8500 plus labor, for a vehicle with a market value of less than half that number.