Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What’s this sound every time I accelerate? Service has no idea so far and says it’s not normal.

bbell

Sep 14, 2018
Niagara
I have that exact tone when I go full throttle, particularly the first high accel during a drive, I don't think it happens every time. This is a 2018 M3 LR RWD.

It's hard to tell the exact volume from the recording but it isn't super loud but I can definitely hear it, and it sounds like it is coming from the back of the car.

SolarRoofs

Feb 29, 2020
California
I have that exact tone when I go full throttle, particularly the first high accel during a drive, I don't think it happens every time. This is a 2018 M3 LR RWD.

It's hard to tell the exact volume from the recording but it isn't super loud but I can definitely hear it, and it sounds like it is coming from the back of the car.
You do? I’m somewhat relieved to hear that, and yeah mine does this on full throttle. It sticks around tho for 15 throttles and then sort of disappears.

bbell

Sep 14, 2018
Niagara
You do? I’m somewhat relieved to hear that, and yeah mine does this on full throttle. It sticks around tho for 15 throttles and then sort of disappears.

Yes I have always had it. If service figures it out let me know, I will be curious, especially if they think it is a problem.

Reactions: SolarRoofs

techzelle

Jan 14, 2021
Sunnyvale, CA
Sounds like there is some part that is vibrating at resonance during acceleration.
Would try to see if you can find a way to make the tone last longer. Like reducing speed when tone begins, trying different acceleration speeds, etc.

Reactions: android04

KenC

Sep 4, 2018
Maine
Strange. It almost sounds like an intentional tone that comes from the speakers. Have you tried accelerating during an MCU reboot? Just to rule out the possibility that it's somehow being done in software (highly unlikely, but maybe still worth doing).
If it's coming thru the speakers then it could be bad grounding of the motor/inverter.

Pyre

Apr 10, 2021
Syracuse, NY
Thats the mysterious "elon note." It is meant to be at just the right frequency to make you want to sell the car and then buy another tesla the day after you sell yours.

Sneaky Elon....

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC