Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What’s your 90% in Rated Range on an 85KWH Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

meloccom

Moderator Aus/NZ
Feb 11, 2008
Sydney Australia
My Model S 85 is now 3.5 years old and I have watched the rated range slowly fall at each charge.
Some of the change is battery degradation and some is likely changes to the calculation algorithm during updates. Currently when I charge it stops at 90% with 423Km rated range.
How does this compare to other 85KWH Model S owners?
Should I be charging to 80% for less degradation?

In a perfect world the battery lasts longest if left at around 50%.
So if you use 20% a day, you can charge to 60% then get home at 40%.

But anywhere between 10 and 90% is almost as good. It's only the extremes that really move the needle. The worst is to leave it at 100% when the weather is hot.

Actually the very worst is to run it to 0% then leave it for a few weeks without charging. Tesla has a fake 0% with a few percent spare, but if the vampire drain drops it below the true 0% the battery is catastrophically degraded very quickly.

Should I be charging to 80% for less degradation?

I think the simple, most correct answer is yes. If you limit your SOC to 50% or 60% for everyday running & increase it as required, you’ll see even less degradation, over several years the difference will be considerable, depending on your point of view & how many kilometres you actually travel in an average day. It’s no less convenient than the quant legacy of filling ‘er up regardless.

BTW I have a 90 so can’t help with relevent data.

@brewster are you really only get 342km on a P85D after just under 3 years? My Model S70 will be 3 years old this December (so similar age to yours) and I have done just under 60,000km's and a 90% charge still yields me 323km's.....I would have thought you would be getting easily 375-380km's.....you are you're only getting 342km's?

@brewster are you really only get 342km on a P85D after just under 3 years? My Model S70 will be 3 years old this December (so similar age to yours) and I have done just under 60,000km's and a 90% charge still yields me 323km's.....I would have thought you would be getting easily 375-380km's.....you are you're only getting 342km's?
The maximum range that I recall, just after getting the car, was 404 km with 100% charge.

@brewster that equals a 6% drop...pretty considerable I would have thought....I'm at less than 2%.....am I missing something?
It’s difficult to really compare because Tesla changed some of the algorithms around calculating range sometime in 2015 in an update. I have seen the 90% charge vary a little as well depending on just how accurately you dropped let go of the slider when setting it. Overall I think that my car has lost about 2-3km in 60,000 km at 90%, but has been stable for the last 2+ years.

This is in line with what we have seen globally where the degradation starts off a little faster and then levels out.

I never use rated, just typical. 90% charge on my 60,000km 3.5 year S85 is 347km typical range.
Mine is exactly the same- car is 3.5 years old as well. And doesn’t seem to have changed since new. However my average ‘consumption’ is coming down slowly so that my compensate for degradation?
As an aside I had a 75D as a loaner recently and it was reporting 90% charge as 348km on typical.
I can only assume that the Dual motor extra efficiency is real.

Mine is exactly the same- car is 3.5 years old as well. And doesn’t seem to have changed since new. However my average ‘consumption’ is coming down slowly so that my compensate for degradation?
As an aside I had a 75D as a loaner recently and it was reporting 90% charge as 348km on typical.
Yeah my 75D gets 374km typical at 100%, so 337km at 90%.
Used to be about 5km more.

The average consumption has no bearing on typical range shown when charged to 70/80/90% but as you say your average driving consumption drops compensating for battery degrading over time, basically the battery doesn't hold as much charge but drivers make better use of the charge available.
At 5000kms my lifetime average was 188wh/km, at 127,000kms it's now down to 170wh/km.

image.jpg
Yeah my 75D gets 374km typical at 100%, so 337km at 90%.
Used to be about 5km more.

The 75D gets good value from a new battery pack.

• Informative
Reactions: Canuck