Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

what’s your range now after 1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A month away from 7 years with my 2015 85D.

At Delivery: 274 mi rated at 100%
Present Day: 234 mi rated at 100%, highway
Present Day: 200 mi effective at 100%, stop-n-go
Present Day: <<200 mi effective at 100%, parked in sun during daytime hours (losing roughly 10% daily to battery tending)

Last weekend, we used my 2015 S 70D for a trip, so I charged it to 98% before hitting the road. Briefly switched to show miles, and it said 220, which implies 224 miles at 100%. This was only the 2nd or third time I had ever charged that car so high, and usually I do not use the SOC indicator to show miles. I was pleasantly surprised to see that much range. My car just passed 60K miles and is almost 7 years old.

Having said that, I am skeptical of the value of that data point. From everything I have read, you can't really use that indicator to judge the battery health. What I understand one should do, but which I have not done, is to charge up to 100% and then drive it down to less than 10% and then charge it up again to determine how much energy (how many kWh) the battery can store and deliver. The battery's capacity in kWh is what matters, not miles, because the calculated/displayed miles indication is only an indirect indication of the battery.

On the trip last weekend, I actually could have had a valid test if I had made better notes from the trip gauge and from our charging stops, because we reached one of our charging stops with about 10%. But I screwed up and did not keep all the data so I could not do a complete calculation of what the battery delivered. But for what it is worth, using data for a portion of the trip between two charging stops, I calculated that the battery capacity was 66 kWh. With the EPA rating of 292 Wh/mile, that implies a range of 226 miles, amazingly close to what the SOC indicator showed! If that is valid, my range loss over 6+ years is about 6%, not bad.

So take that with a grain of salt, but that is the closest I can come without doing the full capacity test....