Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What’s your solution for skiing?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not too early to fantasize about winter ski vacations. I hope this will be possible!

We have two teens and a model Y with a hitch receiver. We also have a Thule roof box, a Model Y roof rack (not installed) and a hitch. My concern is winter range on a 350 mile trip with the box on top. Will that be a nightmare? Would a rear hitch ski rack be better? I hate the constant beeping on backup and the difficulties at Superchargers hitch mounted items create.

What is your solution?

I have a Thule box also. I have to imagine the range reduction would be significant, coupled with colder temps. The middle seat does allow for a rear passthru, could that be an option?

My problem is my wife loves to bring the whole house with, so having a carrier up top helps.

Downhill? For 4 people that's a lotta gear to stuff inside. But that would be my choice (packing light and putting the skis in bags). Either that or install the roof racks and put the skis (again in bags) direct on the racks without a roof carrier. I wouldn't want to deal with loading/unloading a carrier in snowy/icy conditions on top of my fragile Y, or the winter road debris that'll get on a hitch mounted setup.

p.s. - that profile pic cat is awesome, looks similar to mine. Does he like the music though?

Reactions: Catbiscuits
Downhill? For 4 people that's a lotta gear to stuff inside. But that would be my choice (packing light and putting the skis in bags). Either that or install the roof racks and put the skis (again in bags) direct on the racks without a roof carrier. I wouldn't want to deal with loading/unloading a carrier in snowy/icy conditions on top of my fragile Y, or the winter road debris that'll get on a hitch mounted setup.

p.s. - that profile pic cat is awesome, looks similar to mine. Does he like the music though?

My experience is that once the box is on top, it's pretty safe up there. Putting skis on top of the rack (unless they were in bags) seems more likely to damage the car. I'll probably keep the box. Good point about road crud on the skis in the back.

Roxy is an awesome cat. She always seems to come when I have the modular synth cranked up, but I think it might be because she likes to gnaw on cables to express dissatisfaction.

Reactions: scissorfighter