TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

What 12v battary do in tesla ?

Discussion in 'Model X' started by oliver4ever, Jan 21, 2020.

1. oliver4ever

oliver4ever Member

Hello
    What 12v battary do ? And how deat ?
    And really that monitor work from 12v ?
    If I stay stop car in parking and I stay inside it for some hours ? Did battary will deat ?
    And if I keep car for one month the battary will deat?

2. CrayZ1

CrayZ1 Banned

With one exception all EVs have 12v batteries. This allows the car to disconnect the main 350-400 volt battery so it can be serviced.
    There is a 12v solenoid that connects the traction battery so you can drive.

3. RRM998

RRM998 Supporting Member

The 12 volt system powers all the cabin electronics, lights, power windows, etc. just like in a ICE car. Then the main battery charges the 12v battery.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  4. CrayZ1

CrayZ1 Banned

In theory, you could do away with the 12v battery by just using the DC/DC converter. The 12v battery allows the systems to boot when the main battery (aka Traction Battery) is disconnected. IIRC, Hyundai has an EV with no 12v battery.

• Like x 1
  5. Saghost

Saghost Well-Known Member

One exception? Now I’m curious...

• Like x 1
  6. CrayZ1

CrayZ1 Banned

IIRC, one or more of the Hyundai/Kia cars uses a segment of it's traction battery for its 12v service.
    Not sure that's a good design or everybody would be doing it to save money.

• Like x 1
  7. ilyak

ilyak Member

The original Roadster did not have a 12V battery until 2.0. I think some versions of Ioniq PHEV and EV also didn’t have them.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  8. oliver4ever

oliver4ever Member

When charge the battary? When car open or driving?

9. oliver4ever

oliver4ever Member

Really cant understand

10. ShawnA

ShawnA Supporting Member

Hi Oliver,

Your traction battery charges the 12 volt battery when the 12 volt battery needs charging.
    It charges the 12 volt whether the car is parked or in motion...

The only exception is when the traction battery is severely low on charge...

Shawn

• Like x 1
  11. 17MXWHITE

17MXWHITE Member

The main battery sleeps when not use. 12v stay up all the time and it wakes the main battery up when needed.

• Like x 1
  12. oliver4ever

oliver4ever Member

that mean if i park the car and stay inside it ? that mean will lost charge of 12v or it's charging from big battary

13. ShawnA

ShawnA Supporting Member

Hi Oliver,

If you park and stay inside the car the 12 volt will still charge from the big battery when it needs to charge.

Shawn

• Like x 1
  14. oliver4ever

oliver4ever Member

Hello Mr Shawn :)))

if i keep my car for 1 month off ? the battary will deat ?
    or using like this device to charge battary ?

Attached Files:

15. Saghost

Saghost Well-Known Member

As long as the big battery stays charged, the car will charge the 12V battery from it when needed, assuming everything is working as designed.

You shouldn’t need a 12V battery tender when putting the car in storage, but it would be wise to plug the standard cord in and set the charge level to ~50%.

Probably not entirely necessary for one month off, but if it ran longer it could be important.

• Like x 1
  16. Tam

Tam Well-Known Member

#16 Tam, Jan 22, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2020
    Tesla Owner's Manual wants you to plug in when you are not driving your car.

The wall outlet power source recharges the main battery as needed.

That main battery, in turn, recharges your 12V battery as needed.

It's all automatic and fine as long as you keep your car plug in.

Your 12V is recharged from the main battery as needed and it doesn't matter whether you turn on the car or turn off the car, open the door or close the door, plug or unplug, driving or parking. It's around the clock as needed.

17. Tam

Tam Well-Known Member

It would be fine as long as your car is plug in because the process is automatic.

It's only a problem when you don't plug in for a while and the main battery will be depleted. When the main battery is low, it will no longer charge your 12V and your 12V will be dead.

Your plan of saving your 12V battery by injecting a 12V source outside of the car's automatic system which is called BMS--Battery Management System is not approved.

Since it is outside of the BMS, it might harm your 12V battery instead of saving it.

• Like x 1
  18. oliver4ever

oliver4ever Member

that mean if i left car with out charge will lost 12v charge for long time . ?

19. oliver4ever

oliver4ever Member

that is bad ? too i using this device to bmw battary ? to save life it in winter or only bad on tesla ?

thank you

20. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

#20 ecarfan, Jan 22, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2020
    Correct. The first 500 Roadsters did not have a 12V battery.
    As others have stated, the 400V main pack in your Tesla keeps the separate 12V battery charged. And it is important to keep your Tesla plugged in, even to a 12V power outlet if that is all you have available.

If your main pack is fully charged and you leave your Tesla unplugged for a month it will probably be okay, unless it is outside in very low temperatures and/or you leave the internet connectivity on, or Sentry Mode on (which I suspect your car does not have) or you are constantly checking on the car through the Tesla app.

Plug it in.