Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What 12v battary do in tesla ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The 12 volt system powers all the cabin electronics, lights, power windows, etc. just like in a ICE car. Then the main battery charges the 12v battery.

In theory, you could do away with the 12v battery by just using the DC/DC converter. The 12v battery allows the systems to boot when the main battery (aka Traction Battery) is disconnected. IIRC, Hyundai has an EV with no 12v battery.

Reactions: oliver4ever
Hi Oliver,

Your traction battery charges the 12 volt battery when the 12 volt battery needs charging.
It charges the 12 volt whether the car is parked or in motion...

The only exception is when the traction battery is severely low on charge...

Shawn

that mean if i park the car and stay inside it ? that mean will lost charge of 12v or it's charging from big battary

Hi Oliver,

If you park and stay inside the car the 12 volt will still charge from the big battery when it needs to charge.

Shawn

Hello Mr Shawn :)))

if i keep my car for 1 month off ? the battary will deat ?
or using like this device to charge battary ?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-01-22 at 4.45.42 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-01-22 at 4.45.42 PM.png
    404.9 KB · Views: 90
Hello Mr Shawn :)))

if i keep my car for 1 month off ? the battary will deat ?

As long as the big battery stays charged, the car will charge the 12V battery from it when needed, assuming everything is working as designed.

You shouldn’t need a 12V battery tender when putting the car in storage, but it would be wise to plug the standard cord in and set the charge level to ~50%.

Probably not entirely necessary for one month off, but if it ran longer it could be important.

When charge the battary? When car open or driving?

Tesla Owner's Manual wants you to plug in when you are not driving your car.

The wall outlet power source recharges the main battery as needed.

That main battery, in turn, recharges your 12V battery as needed.

It's all automatic and fine as long as you keep your car plug in.

Your 12V is recharged from the main battery as needed and it doesn't matter whether you turn on the car or turn off the car, open the door or close the door, plug or unplug, driving or parking. It's around the clock as needed.

Last edited:
...if i keep my car for 1 month off ? the battary will deat ?...

It would be fine as long as your car is plug in because the process is automatic.

It's only a problem when you don't plug in for a while and the main battery will be depleted. When the main battery is low, it will no longer charge your 12V and your 12V will be dead.

Your plan of saving your 12V battery by injecting a 12V source outside of the car's automatic system which is called BMS--Battery Management System is not approved.

Since it is outside of the BMS, it might harm your 12V battery instead of saving it.

Tesla Owner's Manual wants you to plug in when you are not driving your car.

The wall outlet power source recharges the main battery as needed.

That main battery, in turn, recharges your 12V battery as needed.

It's all automatic and fine as long as you keep your car plug in.

Your 12V is recharged from the main battery as needed and it doesn't matter whether you turn on the car or turn off the car, open the door or close the door, plug or unplug, driving or parking. It's around the clock as needed.

that mean if i left car with out charge will lost 12v charge for long time . ?

It would be fine as long as your car is plug in because the process is automatic.

It's only a problem when you don't plug in for a while and the main battery will be depleted. When the main battery is low, it will no longer charge your 12V and your 12V will be dead.

Your plan of saving your 12V battery by injecting a 12V source outside of the car's automatic system which is called BMS--Battery Management System is not approved.

Since it is outside of the BMS, it might harm your 12V battery instead of saving it.

that is bad ? too i using this device to bmw battary ? to save life it in winter or only bad on tesla ?

thank you

The original Roadster did not have a 12V battery until 2.0
Correct. The first 500 Roadsters did not have a 12V battery.
that mean if i left car with out charge will lost 12v charge for long time . ?
As others have stated, the 400V main pack in your Tesla keeps the separate 12V battery charged. And it is important to keep your Tesla plugged in, even to a 12V power outlet if that is all you have available.

If your main pack is fully charged and you leave your Tesla unplugged for a month it will probably be okay, unless it is outside in very low temperatures and/or you leave the internet connectivity on, or Sentry Mode on (which I suspect your car does not have) or you are constantly checking on the car through the Tesla app.

Plug it in.

Last edited: