Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What a day ....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This will be my first post here.. but I need to vent a tad and figured this would be a good place to do so.

While driving my 8 week old Pearl White fully optioned P85D to work this morning I was T-boned at approximately 45-50 mph on the driver's side by a young lad who blew through a red light without any attempt at slowing down.

The brunt of the impact was taken by the driver's door which, along with the passenger door, are almost entirely crumpled in. The frame has been severely bent, all airbags deployed and the car was shifted laterally along the rode from the force of the impact. I'm not sure if I lost consciousness or not but have since been released from the ER with bruised ribs, a concussion and a severely sprained wrist. Otherwise I walked away unscathed.

I guess the only point I need to make , without sounding preachy, is to cherish what you have for every second...I can't imagine not having coming home to my two girls and think that might have been the case had I not been driving a Model S. I've treated severe MVA trauma and know how many T-bone accidents end and to say I was fortunate is the understatement of the year. I think that thought might linger in my mind for some time.

I guess the real fun now begins finding out if my vehicle ends up a total loss or if it is salvageable.. It is on its way to the closest Tesla certified body shop and I'm not sure when I'll find out how things will proceed.

Anyway.. my vent is completed.. but thanks Elon for building a car that could well have saved my life today..

I am sorry to hear about the accident and that you are without your Tesla now, but am VERY happy you are around to vent about it!!!! Safety was the NUMBER 1 reason I got a Tesla, even being environmentally friendly, getting off gas, and having an amazing drive. I wish you the best of luck in getting a great, safe, working Tesla under your feet again.

How did the other driver turn out?

That gives me chills, and thank God (or divine luck if you prefer) that you're okay! I hope you heal up soon. And I hope that other driver has learned a lesson or is in the process of losing driving privileges.
Heal well and may your future be filled with lots of soft (for now) hugs from your girls!!

Sorry to hear about the accident. Glad to hear you're ok and yes, it's very likely that battery and the other systems helped save your life.

95% chance the car is totalled due to the cost of repairs so prepare for that now. (My first S was totalled for much less).

On the bright side, you're alive and you'll probably get another new Tesla out of this, even if your existing one was already new.

I'm glad you're okay but sorry to hear what you went through. When you say: "I'm not sure if I lost consciousness or not" that's a pretty good indication that you did lose consciousness. Never underestimate the impact a concussion can have on you.

Thanks for the well wishes guys.
Unfortunately I didn't take photos as I was pretty dazed after but will try to get some from the claims adjuster.
Being alive is quite nice :)
I was thinking the same thing Todd.. particularly given that all airbags were deployed which, in and of itself, causes enough damage. I wasn't sure what role a bent frame played in deciding if the vehicle is a total loss. I also wasn't sure if this was a decision made by the insurer ( Geico) or by Tesla itself.

I wasn't sure what role a bent frame played in deciding if the vehicle is a total loss. I also wasn't sure if this was a decision made by the insurer ( Geico) or by Tesla itself.

The authorized body shop will submit an estimate for repairs. The adjuster will consider that estimate and if it is above the insurance company's internal threshold for declaring something a total loss (based on the car's value, policy, etc), it will be totalled.

When my first S was totalled, I was with Geico. The car had what most would consider to be relatively minor to moderate damage, but high repair costs of $42K led the insurance company to total it.

Sorry to hear about your accident. Cars are replaceable; individual people are not. Glad you are -- relatively -- okay. Your Tesla is certainly totaled after being T-boned by another car going at least 45mph.
The other driver was certainly saved by his airbags; you know, those things that car manufacturers resisted installing back in the 80's because they would add to much to the cost of the vehicle.