TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

What a day ....

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Cato1974, Dec 9, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Discoducky

Discoducky Active Member

So happy you are ok as T-bones don't usually end that way especially with this much energy transfer.

I hope you end up with a brand spanking new car soon!

There is future enhanced sensor suite that could further mitigate this type of crash and it is side front radar with an application (not implemented in any car yet, but has been demonstrated by Volvo I believe) on top of the data.

Coupled with the other sensors in the car, like front and rear cameras and radars could mitigate or even avoid this type of crash all together by sensing that an imminent collision (T-bone is going to occur due to the speed, acceleration and path of vehicles) and making a decision to speed up the car (if sensors believe it is safe to do so) or stop the car (if safer to do so). While this application on top of sensors isn't implemented in any car yet, it could have mitigated or even avoided this type of collision.

Here's to the future!

2. ModelX

ModelX Active Member

Sorry about the accident, but glad you are safe!

3. Cyclone

Cyclone Cyclonic Member ((.oO))

Discoducky,

While I like the idea of the sensor Volvo is testing out, please remember that for the 2017 Model Year (I think, or was it 2018) Automatic Emergency Braking will be mandatory in all new cars in the U.S. As such, the idiot driver's car would have tries to slow/stop to minimize/mitigate this crash as well. IMO, this change will likely be in cars on the road far sooner than the enhanced sensor.

That said, I look forward to Volvo (and Tesla) pushing out what it means to be the safest and we continue to get help protecting ourselves from idiot drivers.

4. Max*

Max* Charging

The problem with that is that the average cars lifespan is about 8 years. So that would mean that only in about a decade would be 95% safe from being T-boned like the OP (where the 5% would be the remaining older cars on the road)

5. UnpluggedP

UnpluggedP Vendor

Sorry to hear. Glad you're ok

6. Cyclone

Cyclone Cyclonic Member ((.oO))

Like I said, I am NOT objecting to the new type of sensor and the programming that goes with it. I just think we will end up seeing widespread AEB-enabled cars before we see side-impact-mitigation-enabled cars.

7. MorrisonHiker

MorrisonHiker S 100D 2019.20.4.2

Hopefully by then I won't be driving a 27 year old CR-V, still waiting for my non-P90D production X to be built.

8. Branzo90D

Branzo90D Salt and Pepper

You can always get a new car. Glad your injuries are relatively minor. Thank Tesla for that extra side impact protection they use. Given what happened, you were in the safest car possible. Good luck on getting yours fixed or replaced.

9. vitaliy

vitaliy Member

Wow, glad you are ok!

Did you do insane launch on green?

10. S'toon

S'toon Knows where his towel is

Glad you're OK Cato. Cars are replaceable. Lives aren't.

11. Cato1974

Cato1974 Member

No sir.. The light was green for some time and I never aggressively accelerate in traffic. I firmly believe that there is a time and place to enjoy what power the car has and on the road with other drivers is usually ( not always) the right place for it.

12. Spidy

Spidy Active Member

#32 Spidy, Dec 9, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2015
    Good to hear you are ok.

Can anybody elaborate on this? I would have expected to be T-boned on the passenger side would not end that badly without a passenger.

So the risk is Whiplash?

Edit: Ok, I can't read. Hit was driver side.

13. davidc18

davidc18 Active Member

Glad you are okay.

14. dhanson865

dhanson865 Active Member

Good thought but that average is increasing or at least has increased. It's up around 11 years now.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jimhenry/2014/06/30/average-car-on-the-road-still-getting-older-but-for-the-right-reasons/
    Average age of cars on U.S. roads breaks record
    Average age of cars on U.S. roads -- 11.5 years -- breaks record

Pick your link, they all talk of 11.x years average. Though some predictions expect it to drop below 11 in 5 years or so.

15. wk057

wk057 Senior Tinkerer

Glad you're ok, first off.

Probably will be totaled by the insurance company once they get the estimate. It's far easier to do that than to repair these cars in a lot of cases, especially with major damage. I'll keep an eye out for a white P85D salvage auction....

16. mikeash

mikeash Active Member

The hit was on the driver's side.

17. StephenM

StephenM Active Member

Wow! That accident happens 8 weeks sooner and you might not be around to write this post. It's a pity, but a blessing at the same time. Happy Holidays to you and your family that you will be around to share it with them :smile:

18. freeewilly

freeewilly Member

Good to hear you are okay. Hopefully her insurance is able to cover everything.

19. sundoc

sundoc Member

Glad to hear you're ok... and totally hear ya regarding the coming home to kids thought.
    Recover well!

20. California Roll

Very happy to know you are ok, I have been T-boned before (10 year anniversary in January) and consider myself extremely lucky. Still have some lingering phantom aches...