Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What a day ....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Being alive is quite nice :)

So happy you are ok as T-bones don't usually end that way especially with this much energy transfer.

I hope you end up with a brand spanking new car soon!

There is future enhanced sensor suite that could further mitigate this type of crash and it is side front radar with an application (not implemented in any car yet, but has been demonstrated by Volvo I believe) on top of the data.

Coupled with the other sensors in the car, like front and rear cameras and radars could mitigate or even avoid this type of crash all together by sensing that an imminent collision (T-bone is going to occur due to the speed, acceleration and path of vehicles) and making a decision to speed up the car (if sensors believe it is safe to do so) or stop the car (if safer to do so). While this application on top of sensors isn't implemented in any car yet, it could have mitigated or even avoided this type of collision.

Here's to the future!

Discoducky,

While I like the idea of the sensor Volvo is testing out, please remember that for the 2017 Model Year (I think, or was it 2018) Automatic Emergency Braking will be mandatory in all new cars in the U.S. As such, the idiot driver's car would have tries to slow/stop to minimize/mitigate this crash as well. IMO, this change will likely be in cars on the road far sooner than the enhanced sensor.

That said, I look forward to Volvo (and Tesla) pushing out what it means to be the safest and we continue to get help protecting ourselves from idiot drivers.

Discoducky,

While I like the idea of the sensor Volvo is testing out, please remember that for the 2017 Model Year (I think, or was it 2018) Automatic Emergency Braking will be mandatory in all new cars in the U.S. As such, the idiot driver's car would have tries to slow/stop to minimize/mitigate this crash as well. IMO, this change will likely be in cars on the road far sooner than the enhanced sensor.

That said, I look forward to Volvo (and Tesla) pushing out what it means to be the safest and we continue to get help protecting ourselves from idiot drivers.

The problem with that is that the average cars lifespan is about 8 years. So that would mean that only in about a decade would be 95% safe from being T-boned like the OP (where the 5% would be the remaining older cars on the road)

The problem with that is that the average cars lifespan is about 8 years. So that would mean that only in about a decade would be 95% safe from being T-boned like the OP (where the 5% would be the remaining older cars on the road)

Like I said, I am NOT objecting to the new type of sensor and the programming that goes with it. I just think we will end up seeing widespread AEB-enabled cars before we see side-impact-mitigation-enabled cars.

Hopefully by then I won't be driving a 27 year old CR-V, still waiting for my non-P90D production X to be built.

You can always get a new car. Glad your injuries are relatively minor. Thank Tesla for that extra side impact protection they use. Given what happened, you were in the safest car possible. Good luck on getting yours fixed or replaced.

Good to hear you are ok.

Wow, Glad you are OK! Not many accidents of that type end up as well as you indicated.
Can anybody elaborate on this? I would have expected to be T-boned on the passenger side would not end that badly without a passenger.

So happy you are ok as T-bones don't usually end that way especially with this much energy transfer.
So the risk is Whiplash?

Edit: Ok, I can't read. Hit was driver side.

Last edited:

Good thought but that average is increasing or at least has increased. It's up around 11 years now.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jimhenr...till-getting-older-but-for-the-right-reasons/
Average age of cars on U.S. roads breaks record
Average age of cars on U.S. roads -- 11.5 years -- breaks record

Pick your link, they all talk of 11.x years average. Though some predictions expect it to drop below 11 in 5 years or so.

Glad you're ok, first off.

Probably will be totaled by the insurance company once they get the estimate. It's far easier to do that than to repair these cars in a lot of cases, especially with major damage. I'll keep an eye out for a white P85D salvage auction....

Wow! That accident happens 8 weeks sooner and you might not be around to write this post. It's a pity, but a blessing at the same time. Happy Holidays to you and your family that you will be around to share it with them :smile: