Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What a Difference betw. 19” Sport vs. 18” Aero Wheels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
1991B0B4-D942-4BA9-BEBD-53904FE7F007.jpeg
D27BD0B0-1631-4722-A5C9-EAF3D96E9319.jpeg
82EC01D6-84FC-4EC9-B6E6-DE701CE3A345.jpeg
I originally ordered my car with the 19” Sport wheels, but they were not in stock when I took delivery. Today, the wheels finally came in and were mounted. Gives the Model 3 such a more premium look

View attachment 431070 View attachment 431071 View attachment 431072 I originally ordered my car with the 19” Sport wheels, but they were not in stock when I took delivery. Today, the wheels finally came in and were mounted. Gives the Model 3 such a more premium look

I did the same upgrade. Night and day. Looks great on the Blue. Oh and on the Red. And on Midnight Silver while your at it. Oh and .... ;)

BTW There are tires you can get for the 19” that will get you very close to Aero’s (with covers) on efficiency.

Pirelli P7+ (which I can vouch for) and very possibly the Bridgestone QuietTrack too. They quieter too. You won’t get as much “Summer tire” sticky grip though.

Reactions: phaheem
18s are lighter and smaller, so the car is more efficient, faster and allows one set of wheels for winter/summer tires. You can also get lighter and more unique 19s aftermarket. Why spend more for basic wheels from the factory?

When you combine tire and RIM and include the cover the difference in OEM 28” vs 19” weight is small (2-3 lbs). When you put a tire on the 19” as efficient as what comes on the 18”, The 19” will be very close to the same efficiency.

My 19” OEM setup without the watt eating OEM Continental tires are getting exactly the same efficiency as I got with 18” OEM with covers. Continentals are noisier and don’t last that long either.

It’s the tire compound that matters most. Put any wheel you like. Folks keep attributing the bulk of efficiency to weight, rim size, covers. When primarily it’s the tires you run.

• Informative
Reactions: Snow Drift
Because they look better and I’m not 18 anymore so I’m not gonna put on some aftermarket wheels
Must have had a good job at 18 to afford aftermarket rims haha. I get the OEM look, but I wouldn't knock the 18s, especially without the covers. Yes, the 19s/20s design is better, but I don't know if $1500 is worth it, considering the weight and tires you get.

When you combine tire and RIM and include the cover the difference in OEM 28” vs 19” weight is small (2-3 lbs). When you put a tire on the 19” as efficient as what comes on the 18”, The 19” will be very close to the same efficiency.

My 19” OEM setup without the watt eating OEM Continental tires are getting exactly the same efficiency as I got with 18” OEM with covers. Continentals are noisier and don’t last that long either.

It’s the tire compound that matters most. Put any wheel you like. Folks keep attributing the bulk of efficiency to weight, rim size, covers. When primarily it’s the tires you run.

What specific tire and tire model are you using

18s are lighter and smaller, so the car is more efficient, faster and allows one set of wheels for winter/summer tires. You can also get lighter and more unique 19s aftermarket. Why spend more for basic wheels from the factory?
My commute is relatively short, so the efficiency from the 18” wheels really won’t make a noticeable difference for me.

Also, I’m a firm believer that OEM wheels, even the upgraded ones, were designed to match the specific vehicle’s aesthetics; whereas aftermarket wheels are not. There’s no denying that the turbine-look of these 19” were designed to compliment the look of the Model3.

And like someone else said, I prefer the OEM look to aftermarket, anyway, unlike my preferences when I was a teen/20’s

FWIW pop off the aero covers and put on the $50 cap kit from Tesla, and IMHO the 18s look way better than the 19s in addition to being lighter
I’ve noticed that this is what plenty of Model3 owners have done. But I prefer the look of aluminum/silver wheels > blacked out or darker wheels because of the contrast it creates. Also, darker wheels just look like they’re dirty lol