Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What a difference four years make

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 12/ 2014 Model S and have been contemplating trading in for a newer Model S for multiple reasons. I had wondered besides the obvious such as AP HW2 hardware improvements if there were any improvements in fit and finish. I remember Elon reportedly making the comment of continual improvements that are continually being done, but wondered if any would be noticeable.

I have had a 2017 Model S as a loaner for the last couple of days. The loaner was made 3/2017 and to me the improvements in fit and finish are subtle, but very noticeable. Firstly the 2017 is much more quiet. My motors have always made whining noises when accelerating or decelerating, which are very audible, as well as at 77mph make a constant whirring noise. In the 2017 motor noise is barely audible. Secondly, the 2017 is much more air tight, and sealed with very little wind noise intruding on the highway. In my car, the doors have always closed and seemed slightly off kilter, like it closes and hits at two points not perfectly lined up. With the 2017 the doors almost, (I said almost) have a germanic precision, but without the weight or heft of a more solid door. It isn't that my 2014 is performing abnormally, I have had all the above issues in my car checked and were told they were within specs. The subtle part is that driving and sitting in the 2017, just feels more solid and better put together. I was wondering if anyone has experienced this?

IMHO the newer builds are far superior to the older versions, the fit and finish is better, the ride was improved by awd which to me was a massive improvement.
AP1 for me was the reason that I upgraded to a newer car 15 months ago.
the current fiasco with AP2 and the chronic reports of poor QC of the cars currently being made would make me wary of doing an upgrade anytime soon.

Reactions: gabeincal
My wife has one of the first 2012s. Last September I bought a P90DL, so now we have two we can compare.

The newer car, obviously, has more features.

But fit and finish appears identical to me, and the older car is quieter even when both are on the same tires.

This sounds more like an individual fit and finish issue. I've heard of some recent 2017 cars that have much worse fit and finish than our 2014. I've never noticed anything significant in the newer loaners I've driven. Personally I think the quality improvement over time think is way overblown. Any engineering changes that may have been made seem to have been overshadowed by a decrease in quality control as they ramped up production.

Reactions: ChadS
My motors have always made whining noises when accelerating or decelerating, which are very audible, as well as at 77mph make a constant whirring noise. In the 2017 motor noise is barely audible. Secondly, the 2017 is much more air tight, and sealed with very little wind noise intruding on the highway. In my car, the doors have always closed and seemed slightly off kilter, like it closes and hits at two points not perfectly lined up. ...
Visit Service Center for the motor swap and seals' check if you can.

It's actually my second motor. First had a leak and was replaced. This front one makes a lot of high pitched noises, and when you hit 77 MPH makes a distinct oscillating whirring noise which my lead tech took to the visiting Tesla regional problem solver who said it was normal.

I have a 12/ 2014 Model S and have been contemplating trading in for a newer Model S for multiple reasons. I had wondered besides the obvious such as AP HW2 hardware improvements if there were any improvements in fit and finish. I remember Elon reportedly making the comment of continual improvements that are continually being done, but wondered if any would be noticeable.

I have had a 2017 Model S as a loaner for the last couple of days. The loaner was made 3/2017 and to me the improvements in fit and finish are subtle, but very noticeable. Firstly the 2017 is much more quiet. My motors have always made whining noises when accelerating or decelerating, which are very audible, as well as at 77mph make a constant whirring noise. In the 2017 motor noise is barely audible. Secondly, the 2017 is much more air tight, and sealed with very little wind noise intruding on the highway. In my car, the doors have always closed and seemed slightly off kilter, like it closes and hits at two points not perfectly lined up. With the 2017 the doors almost, (I said almost) have a germanic precision, but without the weight or heft of a more solid door. It isn't that my 2014 is performing abnormally, I have had all the above issues in my car checked and were told they were within specs. The subtle part is that driving and sitting in the 2017, just feels more solid and better put together. I was wondering if anyone has experienced this?

That is so funny. My 2015 85D made the exact same noise you described but at 76mph. Do you happen to have 19" wheels. I have 21" and think that might be the subtle difference. Not a 75, most of my commute speed thank goodness, and not at 77 but exactly and only at 76mph.

Mine has a whirring sound at exactly 15. Not below, not above. Haha
do a forum search on milling sound or drive unit replacement, I think you'll find your issues discussed there.
If I were you I'd get to the service center and have it checked out and don't buy their initial of assessment that it is operating in normal parameters. it isn't and if I understand the issue you've described you need a drive unit replacement, sooner than later.

do a forum search on milling sound or drive unit replacement, I think you'll find your issues discussed there.
If I were you I'd get to the service center and have it checked out and don't buy their initial of assessment that it is operating in normal parameters. it isn't and if I understand the issue you've described you need a drive unit replacement, sooner than later.

I will look around. To be honest it's not bad at all, but I might just live with it for 2 more years and then ask for a replacement 1 year bef warranty expires.. But thank you!!

I've had an early P85 loaner (VIN under 300) with 50k miles for the last week while Tesla continues to dismantle the entire front end of my 2016 P90DL trying to fix an odd heavy thunk that's heard at low speeds on moderate to rough pavement. First, the 2012 P85 is definitely quieter when it comes to air/road noise despite having 21" wheels and mine having 19s.

But then there's everything else...the pano roof only opens to 21% with a loud metal on metal grinding/scraping noise and then closes on its own. That brings my loaner car with pano roof failure rate to 5 out of 5. Everything rattles, squeaks, groans, etc when driving. Beign such an early build, I'm not surprised by this. The rear-facing kid's seat (which I've never had in a loaner before) is broken and lying in the sub-trunk in two pieces. I would have definitely crammed myself into that seat otherwise! Oh, and the air/fan noise from the HVAC is SOOO much quieter in the old cars. You cannot even hear it running.