Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What a waste

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Before you guys switch it over for your own use, you might want to make sure that the Roadster owners who likely donated it to the current location are somehow notified and have an adapter.

There were some Roadster owners stranded last year when the HPCs at Rabobanks were converted unexpectedly to J1772. They were counting on it for their trip and had no way to charge.

better to make an adapter available to Model S owners, IMO. Then everyone is happy.

+1000

Being a Wisconsin resident, I too would like to see this station be of use to more than just the roadster. I wanted to participate in the Kettle-Call event in Elkhart Lake a few weeks ago, but couldn't find adequate charging. Also TRACK DAYS!! At Road America would be fun. I would help pitch in for a roadster to Model S adapter, Nema 14-50 outlet, or possibly J1772 EVSE. Perhaps we should also consult the folks at Road America to see how they feel about us doing this stuff.

Before you go too far down the path of anything but the adapter, remember that the 14-50 outlet and the J1772 mean a good bit of legwork, permits, breaker work, wire runs, and the current charger will charge almost twice as fast as a 14-50 outlet, and almost as fast as the fastest J1772. The adapter cable is just a simple click (and credit card) away. I've gotten plenty of use out of mine, and am quite happy to see the old style chargers stay while there is no adapter and software change to allow the roadsters to charge at an S HPWC.

Peter

Shop Tesla Gear Roadster High Power Wall Connector to Model S Adapter

I was at Road America in Elkhart Lake, WI this weekend. I drove my Model S. There is a TESLA labeled charger, but guess what? Only works with a Roadster :cursing:.

Oh cry me a river....

1. How about we consider that if it wasn't for Roadster owners, Tesla probably wouldn't exist in it's form today and Model S might not exist at all?

2. Ever heard of Superchargers? Roadster owners haven't.

3. Model S J1772 Adapter = $95.00; Roadster J1772 Adapter = $600.00

4. Model S Mobile Charging Bundle = $655.00; Roadster Mobile Charger = $1,500.00 plus $100.00 for adapters

Maybe we can let the Roadster owners keep their chargers?

....[/rant]

- - - Updated - - -

That post now reads more aggressive than I intended. Nothing personal, but the thread title of "What a waste" is going to elicit some reaction.

I was at Road America in Elkhart Lake, WI this weekend. I drove my Model S. There is a TESLA labeled charger, but guess what? Only works with a Roadster :cursing:. I have never seen a Roadster in Southeastern Wisconsin. I am sure they exist. There were two Model S autos at Road America this weekend. Neither one of us could use the 70 kW charger! I wonder how many other Roadster only chargers exist that never get used anymore?

View attachment 33621
Have you confirmed this with a purchasable-from-Tesla Model S adapter for the Roadster HPC? If not, your statement is incorrect.

Furthermore, if you were to make this observation in reverse (Roadster attempting to charge at a Model S HPWC) then you'd have a point -- because Tesla does not offer such an adapter.

So, if anything, you should be really happy that you're "A Model S trying to use Roadster tech" rather than the reverse.

Before you go too far down the path of anything but the adapter, remember that the 14-50 outlet and the J1772 mean a good bit of legwork, permits, breaker work, wire runs, and the current charger will charge almost twice as fast as a 14-50 outlet, and almost as fast as the fastest J1772. The adapter cable is just a simple click (and credit card) away. I've gotten plenty of use out of mine, and am quite happy to see the old style chargers stay while there is no adapter and software change to allow the roadsters to charge at an S HPWC.

Peter

Shop Tesla Gear Roadster High Power Wall Connector to Model S Adapter

Peter,

I agree. The adapter route is really the way to go. I certainly would not want to do anything that would make the roadster unable to charge. I would simply buy an adapter for my personal use, but I am not aware of any other publicly accessible Roadster HPC anywhere else in southern Wisconsin. So if I did buy one I guess I just might as well leave it there for others to use. If I did that I would need a way to allow other Model S owners access without them being able to steal the adapter.

Before you guys switch it over for your own use, you might want to make sure that the Roadster owners who likely donated it to the current location are somehow notified and have an adapter.

There were some Roadster owners stranded last year when the HPCs at Rabobanks were converted unexpectedly to J1772. They were counting on it for their trip and had no way to charge.

better to make an adapter available to Model S owners, IMO. Then everyone is happy.
Agree.

I belong to an adapter share group, but since have purchased my own. With the really rapid progress on the I 5 superchargers, I've toyed with selling it, but I'll probably hang on to it as I know a couple of places I might find good use for it.

I understand most of the HPCs were donated by individuals - thank you - but who pays for the electricity? The one in Centralia WA is surely funded by the restaurant. The HPC in Ellensburg, WA - perhaps the city provides the electricity?

At $650 for the adapter + shipping, a 14-50 outlet or multiple could be installed for that price. I would personally rather have more then one outlet, the roadster, + 2x14-50's. Potentially could have 3 vehicles charging. Building I have found is fairly open and should be fairly easy to run the conduit and install the outlets. Plus, their is more then plenty of electrical capacity in the building. I am going to try and contact the building owner and discuss some options with them.

At $650 for the adapter + shipping, a 14-50 outlet or multiple could be installed for that price. I would personally rather have more then one outlet, the roadster, + 2x14-50's. Potentially could have 3 vehicles charging. Building I have found is fairly open and should be fairly easy to run the conduit and install the outlets. Plus, their is more then plenty of electrical capacity in the building. I am going to try and contact the building owner and discuss some options with them.

And remember that a Model S HPC is only $1,200 if you are going to do a new install....

Is that an "official" Tesla banner plate in the background? :

Tesla HPC at Road America
attachment.php?attachmentid=2624&d=1316550407.jpg

Road America - Elkhart Lake, Wisconsin

and 1200 I could potentially have 3-4. 14-50 outlets and charge 5 vehicles :)

Yes, but this is a track, and if you are doing track driving, you are burning rated miles from the battery while on the track at 100-200 mph. Having an HPC with 56 mph charging will help keep the day going a lot better between track sessions, and help you charge up a lot more quickly at the end of the day to get home...

Yes, but this is a track, and if you are doing track driving, you are burning rated miles from the battery while on the track at 100-200 mph. Having an HPC with 56 mph charging will help keep the day going a lot better between track sessions, and help you charge up a lot more quickly at the end of the day to get home...
An example:
20 minutes on track, 60 minutes off track, repeat
240V/40A can only get back (in 80min) about 1/2 of what you spend (in the 20min)

These are rough numbers. I can look up the logs, if we really want to get into the numbers.

An example:
20 minutes on track, 60 minutes off track, repeat
240V/40A can only get back (in 80min) about 1/2 of what you spend (in the 20min)

These are rough numbers. I can look up the logs, if we really want to get into the numbers.

Thats only good if you have the dual chargers, and it seems most people I meet do not. I know Mongom doesn't, I dont, and 3 other MS owners I know in S/E WI do not. My Idea is to have capability of as many charging as possible. And with the Supercharger Roll-out, a supercharger is/should be going in only about 40 miles away. Would also make more sense, that way if someone does need longer charging anyways, people would generally then plug in and go enjoy the festivities and events, your not going to walk back to the car just to move it after say, 60 or 80 minutes. That way you are not blocking a charging station. So for $1,200 let 1 car charge, despite it drawing 40 or 80 amps, or for $1,200, let 4 cars charge, all at 40 amps.
Just trying to rationalize what would be more convenient.

Track without dual chargers is generally going to be unpleasant on "duration" anyway. IMO.

Have you been to Road America? It's not just about racing your own car. It's major events. Watching races, swap meets, Beer & Fun. http://www.roadamerica.com/ Check it out.
Problem with Road America, is that it is in the middle of nowhere. Even as a spectator (which most are), your going to need a charge for the round trip.

Have you been to Road America? It's not just about racing your own car. It's major events. Watching races, swap meets, Beer & Fun. http://www.roadamerica.com/ Check it out.
Problem with Road America, is that it is in the middle of nowhere. Even as a spectator (which most are), your going to need a charge for the round trip.
Roll back the thread and observe the portion I was replying to (and that I quoted): "if you are doing track driving".

That's the context of my comment, not "everything ever said about anything involving a track". ;)