Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What about a Model 3 estate?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
s10yvjlbg29y_800.jpg

gzryom2b4aud_800.jpg

Sugardesign came up with these impressions. What do you think?

Estate cars are definitely not popular in the US. They are more popular internationally. Those dont look bad to me, but I am not an estate car type of person in general. In the US, this niche is filled by the model Y because people here do not want estate cars, but do want small SUV type vehicles.

Reactions: SalisburySam
If the Model 3 have been designed as a hatch back, this would have been so great.

The Model Y sales overpassed the Model 3 just because the Model Y trunk is more practical,
but the Model Y is more heavy, less efficient, and not as nimble to drive than the Model 3.

The Model 3 is already a big car to drive and park, especially in Europe and Asia.
I can't wait to see a smaller version of the Model 3, but I doubt that there will be ever one sol;d in US.

Anyway, a Model 2 / Q will certainly out-sell any other Tesla Model.

Last edited:
You have to remember that aero drag is the most significant impact to range on the vehicle and abrupt cross section changes at the rear of the vehicle creates large amounts of drag. The model Y already covers this space well while minimizing the drag with a taper at the rear. I don't see this happening, it's just a lower efficiency model Y.

>> You have to remember that aero drag is the most significant impact to range on the vehicle
>> and abrupt cross section changes at the rear of the vehicle creates large amounts of drag.

I agree that a smooth line would be more efficient.

I still can't understand why Tesla decided not making the Model 3 as a hatch back.
Here is a picture of the older Ionic, which was even smaller than the Model 3, but had a hatch back.

JDPA_2020 Hyundai Ioniq Plug-in Hybrid White Rear View.jpg

2018-Tesla-Model-3-Tri-White-4-AMD.jpg

Reactions: OxBrew
Only reason people don’t like this design is because it’s reminiscent of the word *station wagon*, a somewhat derogatory term that brings up memories like National Lampoon’s vacation.

Americans just can’t mentally process a sporty station wagon, no matter how hard companies try. It would take a lot to ditch that mentality, unfortunately.

Otherwise, they’re an awesome blend of practicality and fun- the lower weight, aerodynamics of the 3 with the trunk of a Y.

Yes, this may possibly happen in a post-Elon Tesla resulting in modifications of production lines for variant models rather than complete new models introduced. Think Cyber-SUV for example or model 3 hatchback.

It will all depend on the big boss‘s strategy, which means currently, not going to happen.

Personally I like the look of this. However, questions of efficiency aside, would I have gone for this over a Model Y? No, because the Y has so much more backseat space and comfort for my teenage kids over a Model 3.

In a general sense, here in Europe the sales of estate cars have been decimated by sales of SUVs and CUVs in the last decade. Therefore, I doubt that there would be sufficient market for a Model 3 estate; in this category making the existing Model 3 a proper hatchback would likely be sufficient. Besides, I would think more important for the European market is to roll out a smaller, "Model 2" platform...