Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What about License Plates? SnapPlate

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I bought the Snap plate and really liked the design .... BUT ... just had it snap off in a car wash!! Got home and noticed it was gone!! Fortunately the car wash found my newly refurbished 1982 California speciality plate so I was very relieved!!!
I sent Snap plate an email and hope it might be covered??! If not I’ll probably check out the bandit2.

• Helpful
Reactions: KenYoung1
I bought the Snap plate and really liked the design .... BUT ... just had it snap off in a car wash!! Got home and noticed it was gone!! Fortunately the car wash found my newly refurbished 1982 California speciality plate so I was very relieved!!!
I sent Snap plate an email and hope it might be covered??! If not I’ll probably check out the bandit2.

I'm likely to get the bandit. My MY is still in parts unknown but I'm thinking I'll probably just wait to see how the car shows up. If the stick-on holder is there, I"ll use it. Otherwise I'll go for the bandit (like the clamp behind the bumper idea better). But I'd always take either off before going to a car wash. Either looks so quick, that I'd just get out at the car wash and pop it in to the trunk.

Bu also sounds like you didn't go to a contact-less wash.

I watched a few videos on both products. I also don't want to spend $100+ on a plate holder, but if and when I do, I'll probably go with Quick Bandit 2. Both seem super easy to install and take off. I do like the concept of Snap Plate so it doesn't damage the grill, but I think it "snaps" off too easily (hence losing your actual plate in the process), especially if you go through a car wash. With Quick Bandit 2, I emailed the owner of the company (1975 Creations) and he said the Bandit 2 doesn't break as easily....and if it ever does, it's covered under warranty (at least that's what he replied with in the email).

After seeing grille damage on the forums from some of the other license plate mounts, one of our top priorities in designing SnapPlate for ourselves was to protect that grille. There's nothing to stop a person or car wash from pulling on it until something breaks, so we made sure the plate mount would break first since that's the easiest and least expensive thing to replace.

To date, with thousands of them on the roads, we've not had any damage to vehicles from car washes pulling on them or even minor parking accidents that push on them. We've gotten around a dozen emails with photos of parking accidents where the cars were, thankfully, not damaged. We're pretty proud of that.

Not being car wash safe has definitely been our biggest complaint though, so at the end of August we quietly introduced a new plate mount design. It's about twice as strong as the first generation, but still breaks away cleanly if it really needs to.

We could make make these as strong as anything else available, but we feel like we've found the balance we want for our personal vehicles in a modern, minimal design that blends in well with the front end aesthetic.

I purchased the SnapPlate for my Model Y in June 2020. So far the SnapPlate has performed flawlessly. If I ever run my Model Y through an automated car wash, something I have not yet done, I will first remove the SnapPlate and reattach afterwards. SnapPlate can be easily removed by loosening 1 security screw (if installed) and then pressing on the large round release toggle button located on the left side of the SnapPlate bracket. SnapPlate is an excellent example of a product that addresses the use case of when systems fail (usually bad things can happen.) In the case of SnapPlate, the license plate bracket will break off when pulled away from the vehicle. Your Tesla's grill will hopefully not be damaged. Replacement parts are available from SnapPlate and are much less expensive than purchasing a new SnapPlate or replacing the front grill.

I bought a bandit in case NJ ever issues me license plates. I've tried it out and it's pretty easy and seems well attached. Instead of the snapplate round release, this has a lever you push/pull. Also has a screw to lock it in. That uses a T27 security screw. Not foolproof but I guess will slow down the casual thief long enough.to move on to easier pickings.

I bought a bandit in case NJ ever issues me license plates. I've tried it out and it's pretty easy and seems well attached. Instead of the snapplate round release, this has a lever you push/pull. Also has a screw to lock it in. That uses a T27 security screw. Not foolproof but I guess will slow down the casual thief long enough.to move on to easier pickings.

Both SnapPlate and Quick Bandit are great options with very similar features. You can't go wrong either IMHO.

Just for clarification, the SnapPlate does include an optional security screw and driver to prevent someone from removing your plate. But the way the actuator works is not obvious to anyone plus they are dead center with sentry cam. Don't think front plate theft is a real world issue.
Y-Security-Screw.jpg

I originally was going to get the snapplate but decided that gripping the bumper was a better idea then gripping the grill. But yes, both seem OK. I would have bought the snapplate otherwise. If that is the actual screwdriver you get I do like that better. Thinking of buying one that looks the same from amazon. The bandit comes with an 'L' allen wrench type.

An odd option. Never heard of it before. Looks like you're unique with that $50 sticker but a couple states are optional if no front mount supplied which appears to be your case. But none seem to have a sticker or charge for it. I consider myself lucky that NJ doesn't make me pop rivet one to my forehead.

An odd option. Never heard of it before. Looks like you're unique with that $50 sticker but a couple states are optional if no front mount supplied which appears to be your case. But none seem to have a sticker or charge for it. I consider myself lucky that NJ doesn't make me pop rivet one to my forehead.

Good ol NJ. Was hoping for a good solution here as well.

I originally was going to get the snapplate but decided that gripping the bumper was a better idea then gripping the grill. But yes, both seem OK. I would have bought the snapplate otherwise. If that is the actual screwdriver you get I do like that better. Thinking of buying one that looks the same from amazon. The bandit comes with an 'L' allen wrench type.
Yes that is the screwdriver we provide with the SnapPlate as well as silver and black screws for optional plate mounting. SnapPlate Spare Parts

Last edited: