Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What about railroad tracks and FSD?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I hope Tesla is giving some thought to rail crossings.

FSD should be able to detect oncoming train alarms, such as when the gate comes down and signals are pulsing red lights.

And some places still probably have those old-fashioned crossed boards to warn of the tracks. Would FSD recognize those? How would it determine whether a train is coming?

In my city, we have tracks running parallel to a major road, set probably 20 feet from the road. There is room for a couple cars between the tracks and the intersection, then the track area has the usual crossing gates and signals, then the road continues away from the tracks. Let's assume the traffic signal is red and you're in FSD mode. One car is stopped at the intersection. Your car stops one car length behind the stopped car, which leaves you right on the tracks.

Would FSD notify you to take over? Or would FSD figure out what to do -- and not do -- at such an intersection/RR crossing? What about a crossing marked only with that X sign?

1.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: APotatoGod
I have not heard anything from Tesla about railroad crossings. But I would imagine it is something they have at least thought about since it is so important to FSD.

As long as the driver is expected to supervise, Tesla may just leave it to the driver to take over. But obviously, to get to true FSD, Tesla will need to implement crossings where AP can handle it on its own.