Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What about stockholder priority?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The only way we would make money is by selling the stock, and I'm not about to do that. It seems to me that it would be fair to say that if someone has held the stock at least a year, that should qualify for some sort of priority.

Why? What benefit is there to Tesla that you (or someone else) is a stockholder?

If you have bought a vehicle from them in the past, you've helped meet quarterly goals (which also helps with the stock price). If you buy stock on the market, you're buying from another stockholder. Tesla sees no benefit in that.

But you DO get to attend the annual stockholders' meeting. And the only way to get into that meeting is to own some stock. :)

Reactions: MitchMitch and Jaff
Stockholders get the benefit of having made $ on TSLA. I see absolutely zero reason a stockholder should get priority on a Model 3.

Since I've made enough off my stock to cover the cost of a Model 3, I'll wait my turn. Actually, I have no intention of ordering until after production begins; with the Gigafactory online and the Model 3s rolling out, my stock might be worth enough to get a few options.

I Disagree. We are not at an all time high. Some people have supported the company but NOT made money. If you bought in July 2015 you have made double digit losses. I actually think this is a reasonable idea, albeit maybe impossible to put into action.

Yes, roadster, S, And X owners are early adopters, and the 3 would not be possible without them, but to completely disregard (even in hypothetical theory such as this thread) where Tesla would be without investors is very exclusionary and ellitist appearing.

Whats more valuable, one S owner or a 500 000 dollar investment? Its all hypothetical, and there are two sides, no right or wrong.

Good food for thought RedModel3.

Why? What benefit is there to Tesla that you (or someone else) is a stockholder?

If you have bought a vehicle from them in the past, you've helped meet quarterly goals (which also helps with the stock price). If you buy stock on the market, you're buying from another stockholder. Tesla sees no benefit in that.

But you DO get to attend the annual stockholders' meeting. And the only way to get into that meeting is to own some stock. :)

The only slight benefit to Tesla is supporting the share price for raising cash through offerings. But I agree that stockholders shouldn't get any priority, we are doing it to make money, not out of altruism for the company.

Yes, roadster, S, And X owners are early adopters, and the 3 would not be possible without them, but to completely disregard (even in hypothetical theory such as this thread) where Tesla would be without investors is very exclusionary and ellitist appearing.

I'm trying to come to grips as to how excluding stockholders from anything is elitist. :)

The only slight benefit to Tesla is supporting the share price for raising cash through offerings. But I agree that stockholders shouldn't get any priority, we are doing it to make money, not out of altruism for the company.

I absolutely agree. I should have been more clear that there is no direct benefit to Tesla's bottom line.

Realistically, how in the world would Tesla determine how to give stockholder priority? Own since the beginning? Took a loss? More than 10,000 shares? Would you be bound to hold the stock during the entire reservation period? No selling?

It just gets nuts.

People who took an early bet on Tesla by buying the stock have been well rewarded. As investors, (hopefully) they did their due diligence research before buying. But there are a lot of people who bought vehicles from Tesla without a test drive/ride, without seeing the vehicle. Heck, there are some Roadster owners who paid for their Roadster not even knowing if there would be a company (mad props to them).

Reactions: Jaff and GLDYLX
It appears users here feel everyone who owns Tesla stock has made a lot of money. This is not the case. As with any stock the price goes up and down and depending on when you purchase decides how much money you have made if any. You make nothing until you sell the stock. Yes those who were early investors may have made a good bit. Those who were the original founders of the company have possibly made even more. But they invested in the vision and took the most risk and therefore they deserve the most.

There would be no Tesla without investors. Investors who risk their money on Elon Musk and his vision. It may be 10 shares, 100 shares, 1000 shares, 10,000 shares etc. Why wouldn't Tesla reward these people. As of yet Tesla has not made a profit and paid no dividends. Tesla has invested the stockholder's money in buying and developing the factory in Fremont, buying the latest equipment for the factory in Fremont, building a factory in Europe, building the Gigafactory factory in Neveda, building out the supercharger network and much more.

When you make a reservation for a Tesla, whether it is $1,000, $5,000 or $40,000 you take on little to no risk . At anytime you want you can ask for your money back and it is retuned. When you buy Tesla stock there is no guarantee you will make money or even get back what you invested. I can see giving employees the ability to make an early reservation. Most employees are partial owners of the company through the purchase of stock through an employee investment program where Tesla matches their money. For officers there are stock incentives for performance. Many employers give their employees various benefits.

Other companies give benefits. For example Norwegian Cruise Line gives any investor who owns 200 shares a discount off of every cruise they take on a Norwegian Cruise Line ship.

With letting investors reserve early it just shows Tesla appreciates its investors. It's not like you are giving them a discount you are just letting them to get in line early. The majority of investors may not even want a Tesla M3 but some may want one. I would like to here why they shouldn't be allowed to reserve ahead of others. Just because they may be rich should not be a factor.

As a stockholder... I don't really think my owning stock makes me deserving of a jump ahead in line. Nice though that may be. TSLA is the only individual stock I own, but it's just a tiny amount anyway. It was kind of a way to show my support even though I can't afford to buy one of their cars. But more ways to give people priority just seems like a big mess waiting to happen.

Stockholders get the benefit of having made $ on TSLA. I see absolutely zero reason a stockholder should get priority on a Model 3.

I would just add that if you happened to have bought TSLA on a recent upswing and are not yet enjoying the benefits of being a Tesla shareholder, be patient. Just consider what it means to your investment that you, and so many others, want to scratch, claw, kick and bite to get to the front of line just to get your/their hands on the Model 3. :)

I'm trying to come to grips as to how excluding stockholders from anything is elitist. :)
I just laughed so hard I spit out my breakfast coffee. :D

To the OP: "nothing has been said" because Tesla will not be doing what you are requesting. Nor should they. Get in line like everyone else.

That said, I am pleased that Tesla is allowing some employees (but not all, and we don't know the criteria they are using) to reserve a Model 3 before March 31st. I am quite pleased that Tesla is doing that.

I'm a shareholder who owns two Teslas. I do not expect any special treatment when it comes to Model 3 reservations.

I'm a TSLA stockholder myself and also interested in getting a Model 3. But even though it might therefor be beneficial for me, I agree that stockholders should not get priority. Because if they did, all you would need to do to get priority for Model 3 would be to order one share and that's it.

I would support Bonnie's idea that Tesla workers should get priority, then everyone else. I'm even ok with Tesla's decision to give priority to exisiting owners, because without them there probably wouldn't even be a Model 3 in the first place.

Reactions: GLDYLX