Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What about the tow hitch?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I'm gathering that using a 4-door sedan to tow stuff is big in Europe, and maybe Canada? I can't imagine ever using a Model 3, or any sedan, to tow anything. I'd rather just borrow a pick-up or rent a moving truck/van for a few hours/days and spare the car completely.

FWIW, I've been driving for well over 20 years and have never used anything other than a pickup truck to tow anything.
And I pulled a 5000#boat with a Pontiac Grand Prix. Different people look at things differently.

Reactions: Topher and Tedkidd
People keep mentioning bolt holes. What's with that? The hitches I've seen and used fit under the existing bumper, which bolts to the frame. That makes the hitch bolted to the frame. It may not be class II or III, but it tows my 1500 lb-rated trailer. Not living in Norway, I have never had a problem with it.
On unibody cars there are usually nuts welded to the rails that can be used to attach a hitch.

https://www.carid.com/images/curt/trailer-hitches/pdf/curt-11276-installation-instructions.pdf

Reactions: DR61
So I'm gathering that using a 4-door sedan to tow stuff is big in Europe, and maybe Canada? I can't imagine ever using a Model 3, or any sedan, to tow anything. I'd rather just borrow a pick-up or rent a moving truck/van for a few hours/days and spare the car completely.

Can't speak for others, but I just need to attach a hitch mounted bicycle rack. I've never towed anything and I doubt I ever will, but a bicycle rack is on my vehicle all summer, and occasionally in winter.

Reactions: Tedkidd and DR61

FWIW, I've been driving for well over 20 years and have never used anything other than a pickup truck to tow anything.

Well that's a choice, I guess.
IMG_20160902_154937.jpg

I literally don't know anybody with a pickup truck.

But I see from OCDetailing's latest video that it has a lot of space in the back. So next time I have a pile of wet autumn leaves to take to the local dump, I'll just pop them in there!

• Funny
Reactions: GSP, DR61 and T34ME

Pretty much every kind of car is used for towing in Norway. Even cars like the Toyota Yaris.

But sedans aren't that popular for towing, from the simple fact that hardly any sedans are sold. Same with pickups - hardly any are sold.

The two types of cars that are most popular for towing are SUVs and station wagons. Then hatchbacks in third place. Then probably vans in forth, and maybe pickups in fifth.

Sedans are probably sixth, but sadly the Model 3 isn't available as a hatchback or station wagon. You take what you can get.

I have also never towed with a sedan, but in Europe caravans are a lot more popular for holiday than they are on the US.
Our use case for a hitch receiver is for a hitch mounted bike rack.

Reactions: Tedkidd
For me the trailer hitch is all about replacing functionality lost by not having a hatch.

Things I've put in my Volt in the last 5 years that wouldn't fit in the 3's trunk opening:
  • Pellet stove
  • Sand blasting cabinet
  • Industrial metal cabinet
  • Antique wooden 4 drawer filing cabinet
  • Table saw
  • Drum sander
  • 2 hp canister dust collector
  • Water heaters
  • Kitchen table and 4 chairs
  • 2 dressers
I'm sure there's more than I just can't think of at the moment. I live a lifestyle that would warrant a pickup truck in many people's mind, but if you have a hatch or trailer they're really not necessary, and worse than a car in almost every respect, in addition to the fact that we're a long way away from Model 3 price and range in an electric pickup.

Even if I drive every day 15 miles in to Sweden’s third biggest city for a month I maybe see a pickup one or two times, that’s how unusual pick ups is here in Sweden. If you want to get something to the junk yard you tow it even with you SUV or your station wagon or maybe in a few cases hire a smal truck.

Pickup trucks are good for transporting stuff, but useless for about anything else (vacation, comfort, family trip etc.. ). I don't see any reason to own a pickup, or rent a pickup, just to drive my gardening garbage 5 kilometers to deposit.

That's why almost any car sold in Norway has a hitch. Even VW Golf cars occasionally tows.

The first EV sold in Norway with a hitch will sell a lot. I can't believe why this is down-prioritized so much when it's that big of a sales argument.

Pickup trucks are good for transporting stuff, but useless for about anything else (vacation, comfort, family trip etc.. ).
Apparently you haven't been in a pickup sold in North America within the last 10-15 years. A very versatile, comfortable, family road trip vacation machine. Love mine, most comfortable vehicle I have ever driven, hoping the M3 has even 75% of the seat time I can get in on the truck on long trips before the back/legs give out.

But I would never own one in Europe. Everytime I drive there I am glad I am not in my full size American truck (narrow streets and fuel prices).

I have a crappy harbor freight utility trailer for my Leaf (like in the picture above). I went to Home Depot recently with my dad to pick up about 6" thick of pressure treated 4x8 sheets of plywood. If you're towing a small load like that, you can barely tell that you're pulling a trailer. There's a little bit of bump when you come to a complete stop. I was surprised when my dad commented that having a car and a trailer was more convenient than using a truck; it's much easier to load lumber on a low utility trailer than into a truck bed. As a bit of perspective, my dad has an F-250 with a fifth wheel hitch and a giant ass trailer that can haul 1 or 2 cars. He also has an F-150.

• Informative
Reactions: dhanson865 and DR61
I have not towed a lot, but the times I did were so convenient and inexpensive.

Car: Prius v(agon)

1. Long wood for a project. I rented a trailer from U-haul for ~ $30
2. State to state move. I rented a closed trailer from U-haul for ~ $100
3. I brought my LEAF home (outside of its range). I rented a tow-dolly from U-haul for $50
4. Trencher, rented from a local place for $60. That is the way to install ground PV cheaply

Reactions: 206er and DR61