Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What about the tow hitch?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Love to see so many "Gotta Have It" folks!!

SmartEbikes.jpg
BoltSmartHitches.jpg

Reactions: DR61
I have a tow hitch installed for a couple of reasons,
Pulling a utility trailer for gardening & transporting building material for the house, etc.

One other more important reason...For where we live -
I like having a sold place to attach a towing strap to get pulled out when stuck in deep snow or a snow bank ,
or to help pull some one out that is stuck in a similar situation.

Excellent. I reviewed the installation PDF they provided me and it looks pretty straightforward. Per usual, unwrapping the plastic to get the the crash bumper is the trickiest part.
We will have Saris SuperClamp Freedom 2/4 racks mounted to this thing. Will report back with pictures when the rack (and CAR) are delivered.

Reactions: mekberg and DR61
Got mine too! Pre-reveal on my cell phone.

In the design studio the AWD availability is mid-2018 but in my delivery estimator the AWD is late-2018. I am guessing that design studio availability is general-- first to employees and owners and the delivery estimator is specific to me.

What I really want is the tow hitch. I need AWD once or twice a year only. From the guesses on this forum, it seems like AWD is more likely to include hitch as option than the first production.

The hand wringing begins...

Got mine too! Pre-reveal on my cell phone.

In the design studio the AWD availability is mid-2018 but in my delivery estimator the AWD is late-2018. I am guessing that design studio availability is general-- first to employees and owners and the delivery estimator is specific to me.

What I really want is the tow hitch. I need AWD once or twice a year only. From the guesses on this forum, it seems like AWD is more likely to include hitch as option than the first production.

The hand wringing begins...
One is already available aftermarket and sure there will be other manufacturers will offer them as well.

2018 Tesla Model 3 Stealth EcoHitch

• Helpful
Reactions: piercebot
I think it is accurate to say that those are “guesses”. I don’t see why AWD would be tied to the tow hitch option being available, if a Model 3 factory tow hitch option is ever available, which I would not assume, even though Elon did tweet back in 2016 that it would be available. He also later tweeted this:

05D7247A-964C-4B21-91C7-AE9CDFC9194C.png

I interpret that as “Tow Hitch?” Elon: “No.”

One is already available aftermarket and sure there will be other manufacturers will offer them as well.
I’m glad to see that but the capability isn’t adequate for my needs. Quote: ‘Rated for 200 pounds tongue weight and 2,000 pounds towing weight,“. I am hoping to see Tesla offer a 300 lb tongue weight / 3,500 lb towing weight hitch for the 3. Hoping...

Last edited:

Quote from that page: “Your vehicle may have a lower tow rating than this trailer hitch. If your vehicle's tow rating is less than the rated towing capacity on your Torklift Central trailer hitch, your trailer hitch capacity is limited to your vehicle's factory rated towing capacity.”

But the Model 3 currently has no “factory rated towing capacity”. That hitch is being marketed as specifically for the Model 3. So what is the point of that statement?

Quote from that page: “Your vehicle may have a lower tow rating than this trailer hitch. If your vehicle's tow rating is less than the rated towing capacity on your Torklift Central trailer hitch, your trailer hitch capacity is limited to your vehicle's factory rated towing capacity.”

But the Model 3 currently has no “factory rated towing capacity”. That hitch is being marketed as specifically for the Model 3. So what is the point of that statement?
Likely just standard verbiage to cover their butts of any liability in the event something happens. Probably similar verbiage as any other manufacturer who makes hitches.