Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What about the tow hitch?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm still skeptical myself but I asked "If I buy the 2" receiver option and later decide I wanted the 1.25", can I just buy the replacement 1.25" insert and swap it out?" and he said "Yes, no problem".

Regardless, I'd hate to install my 2" kit and find out that wasn't the case though. My driveway has a pretty aggressive transition and I'm a bit nervous the 2" is going to bottom out. Anyone have feedback on how the ground clearance is?

I suppose I could YOLO order one and return it on grounds that I was lied to by customer service if it doesn't fit.

Well Elon did say that the Model 3 would have a hitch. And the manual does say: "Caution: Using Model 3 for towing before Tesla-approved towing components and accessories are available may void the warranty." Which sort of says they plan to supply something.
I thought he said that many years ago, then said more recently that there wouldn't be one. Don't get me wrong, I really hope it is available, and covered by warranty. I'm wondering if that line in the manual is there for European purposes. There are tons of vehicles that are sold in the US that say "do not tow with it" but they have a tow rating in Europe. I'm wondering if this is what they are testing for. It would just shock me if the 3 gets a tow rating before the S. Why would they have a huge feature available in a cheaper vehicle that's not in the more expensive?

I thought he said that many years ago, then said more recently that there wouldn't be one. Don't get me wrong, I really hope it is available, and covered by warranty. I'm wondering if that line in the manual is there for European purposes. There are tons of vehicles that are sold in the US that say "do not tow with it" but they have a tow rating in Europe. I'm wondering if this is what they are testing for. It would just shock me if the 3 gets a tow rating before the S. Why would they have a huge feature available in a cheaper vehicle that's not in the more expensive?
Not saying this is the reason but sometimes it's because of things like the Model 3 is more of a "normal" mass market car while the S is more of a luxury item and sometimes utilitarian things like tow hitches would be aimed at the mass market. Of course the X is hardly mass market but that's an SUVish vehicle so it makes sense. Also, maybe it's simply a case of later design. The Model 3 has a console because Tesla learned some practical considerations along the way and decided to incorporate them.

Reactions: HyperionMark
I suppose I could YOLO order one and return it on grounds that I was lied to by customer service if it doesn't fit.
FWIW - I was wondering the same thing. I've installed two Ecohitches on two different Model Ss. I too decided that I preferred the profile of the 1.25" vs. the 2". I ordered the 1.25" receiver attachment after the fact and it worked no problem for my latest Model S. I figured Torklift would do the same with the Model 3s (make them universal), but was puzzled by their website not being very clear about that - as I'd personally like the option of having both, despite the 1.25" being used 99% of the time when I get my Model 3. My personal bet is that it will work. Hope I'm right.

In Copenhagen Zac and Jesse find out that European cities seem to work a little differently. One of the things is the distinct lack of pickup trucks, because everyone uses trailers with their cars [at 6:58]. Whilst travelling throughout the whole of their trip in Denmark and Sweden they counted only 9 pickups compared to 189 cars with trailers.

Here in the UK pickups are perhaps a little more common, but mostly only with outdoorsy types or farmers (and those come with tow bars too). Vans also always come with a tow bar for additional storage. However, lots and LOTS of people use their regular hatchback or sedan in order to tow a caravan; or a small trailer for taking rubbish to the tip, or moving furniture; or for various mounting racks for sports equipment.

I've had tow bars on or added tow bars to nearly all of my cars and rarely consider purchasing a car without a tow bar (or the possibility of adding one) or roof rack fixing points. Does the Model 3 even have roof rack fixing points?

I've towed car-carrying trailers, canoeing trailers, farm animal trailers and small household trailers with my car. I imagine that I'd struggle owning a vehicle that I couldn't tow with when needed (and it would need the electrics plug). If Tesla is really marketing the Model 3 to a mass market audience in Europe then this certainly does need addressing. Hopefully the post with the pictures of the U-HAUL trailer is them testing this out.

• Informative
Reactions: SageBrush
And here's the pertinent image, just in case that's pulled. **It says Trailer, not Towing.

Screen Shot 2018-08-01 at 9.04.07 PM.png

And here's the pertinent image, just in case that's pulled. **It says Trailer, not Towing.

View attachment 322352

Oops, totally right. Got it mixed up in my excitement. :D

It seems to me this means that one of the following has to be true:
A) They expect to add towing for Model 3.
B) They didn't know if they were going to add towing, so they put it on the board to future proof.
C) They plan to use the exact same board for Model Y, which will have towing but 3 will not.
D) They had planned to release towing, but abandoned it after the board design had been finalized.

For someone that has a more knowledge on the inner workings of circuit boards, if you plan a board like this to have a socket and chip for a feature that you later abandon, would it cause problems elsewhere to not include that chip? Seems to me that if we were looking at scenario C or D that socket would possibly be left empty for cost and ease of manufacturing.

I picked up my hitch yesterday and installed it in the evening in about 2 hours with my son helping. I thought it was pretty straight forward to install. They might have updated the instructions as I felt they were pretty clear. I also watched the video from torklift and a 2nd one showing how to install it.

I did find that I was missing a bolt on the Tesla that held up the bumper. There are 3 bolts in a line furthest under the car and I was missing the middle one. In light of the recent reports of bumpers coming off in heavy rain, I wonder if bolts are missing on all Model 3's, and that piece of the underbelly is acting as a scoop once it hits a bit of water? What I did is I used one of the bolts from another, easier to reach hole to replace the missing bolt, and then I can easily replace the missing one if I ever get around to it.

I also had water behind the bumper mount. I took spray paint and gave the bare metal a coat of paint before I reinstalled the bumper. I think going forward the nylon washers will create gap so water will not collect any more.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tedkidd
Anyone got any info on other tow hitch options in the pipeline for the Model 3? I don't want a removable one and I'd like it to exit in the black trim right below the painted bumper cover. I'm thinking I'll probably have to weld up my own but it would be nice to modify an existing hitch instead of doing it from scratch.
I sent a message to Draw-Tite to see if they were planning on one. They do make one for the Model S.

I did find that I was missing a bolt on the Tesla that held up the bumper. There are 3 bolts in a line furthest under the car and I was missing the middle one. In light of the recent reports of bumpers coming off in heavy rain, I wonder if bolts are missing on all Model 3's, and that piece of the underbelly is acting as a scoop once it hits a bit of water? What I did is I used one of the bolts from another, easier to reach hole to replace the missing bolt, and then I can easily replace the missing one if I ever get around to it.

Funny you mention this; I started the hitch install, and found I was missing this same middle bolt as well. I had to bail on the hitch install because something came up, but when I get back around to it, I should probably steal a bolt from another more accessible location and make sure it is installed there since it's hard to get to later.

Weird about this bolt and also the frequency of missing clips in the wheel wells. It's like they just were short on these parts at some point in production (seems like a June build thing) and someone gave the go ahead to continue assembly without them....