Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What about the tow hitch?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Seems a lot of norwegians are disappointed by the lack of tow hitch. Towing trailers is important to a lot of norwegians. Many don't need tons of range for camping, but most people use small trailers to dump gardening trash etc...

If there is no such possibility, you still need a second IC car, or rent one to do that.

I also believe being the first EV with that possibility in the lower price range would be a huge sales argument compared to the other EVs being sold I Norway.

Any idea if/why the tow hitch was ditched?

It's a bit disappointing to me too. I may do it aftermarket and just remove the ball between inspections, like I do with my pickup today ;) Assuming the options don't change by then.

Hitches are very useful. 3 has abundant power and regen + brakes is significant for stopping. Only concerns are about load on the tongue being too much for the rear suspension; if you load it properly (10-15% of the tongue) it should be no more weight than having a few passengers in the backseat.

It's really surprising. Already read about 15-20 people in the norwegian forum considering cancelling just because of the tow hitch. It's apparently really important.

It's not like you buy a car to have to borrow someone else's car on a regular basis to pick up something or get the gardening trash away.

If the trailer hitch doesn't materialize, or if I get my car before it's available and it can't be retrofitted, it'd be very disappointed. The ability to tow a trailer is what's kept me ok with losing the utility of a lift back / hatch.
If you'd be very disappointed by lack of a tow hitch, why on earth would you order a car without it. Continue waiting until the option is available, or you HAVE to purchase a car and then go a get something that meets your needs.

If you'd be very disappointed by lack of a tow hitch, why on earth would you order a car without it. Continue waiting until the option is available, or you HAVE to purchase a car and then go a get something that meets your needs.

Because if I wait I'll miss the tax credit, depending on the spec I order and the how the ramp up goes I'll be close anyway. I'm disappointed but I'm not sure I"m $7500 disappointed. There is no "something else that meets my needs" because those needs include a DC charging network, and where I live that's Tesla and Tesla alone.

• Informative
Reactions: Vitold

The 3, with an accessory hitch, is pretty close to perfection for me. Without a hitch it’s utterly useless and I will not buy it. That’s Tesla’s decision, whether they care to have me as a customer or not.

The 3, with an accessory hitch, is pretty close to perfection for me. Without a hitch it’s utterly useless and I will not buy it. That’s Tesla’s decision, whether they care to have me as a customer or not.
It's your decision how useless/disappointed you would be. In your case, you absolutely want the tow hitch, or not have the car at all. It also sounded like that was @thelastdeadmouse 's view as well, but then he clarified he would only be disappointed to the tune of $7,500. I'm simply trying to make the point that no car is perfect (though it sounds like a Model 3 with a tow hitch is pretty close for you) -- including Teslas. and everyone has different trade offs they are willing to make. If a Model 3 doesn't work for you, it doesn't work. Don't be bitter at Tesla. They're trying to make a vehicle that will satisfy as many people as possible, and there's nothing wrong with you not being in that group. Hopefully you are though (when they add a tie hitch option), causing driving a Tesla is pretty much a dream come true!

As long as there are sufficiently large bolt holes in the frame rails for a hitch, I'm OK. Sooner or later someone will make an aftermarket hitch for $100-$200. If there isn't a place to mount a hitch, then I'm not so sure.
Unfortunately the fine if stopped by the police in Norway with a non-certified hitch is ~1500-2000$. I believe most people would want an approved one :).

• Informative
Reactions: GSP and gambit48
Unfortunately the fine if stopped by the police in Norway with a non-certified hitch is ~1500-2000$. I believe most people would want an approved one :).
I do understand what you're saying, but aren't 3rd party certified hitches allowed at all in Norway?

Towing hitches here have a compliance plate (since 1988 - according to our auto club website) stating their trailer weight capacity and a trailer ball weight capacity. So long as Tesla publishes the maximum towing capacity for the vehicle (isn't that mandatory - need to research more) it appears a 3rd party can manufacture legal towing hitches to suit their cars without the car manufacturer being involved. I'm hoping a similar set of rules would apply on your side of the planet too...

Reactions: SageBrush
I too would like a stock hitch receiver on my upcoming Model 3. I have an aftermarket Ecohitch installed on my Model S and love it, but it would be nice if this feature came from the Tesla factory, obviously. Then again, I'm also thrilled that I will be able to get my Model 3 many months or even a year earlier than I'd originally anticipated when I put in my reservation on March 31, 2016. Let's be honest, reeling in the launch date was huge on Tesla's part - and it's obviously driving the prioritization of available features! Like life, project management is all about tradeoffs. So, when you feel bummed about not getting everything you wanted earlier than you'd originally anticipated (been told), ask yourself if you'd rather just get all those things on the original timeline. (?) Because that's the fair thought exercise to have with yourself. Me? I love the option/ability of getting any Model 3 earlier. If you aren't in agreement, I think it's a reasonable wager that you can wait for all those bells and whistles and you'll probably end up pretty close to the original timeline.