Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What Acceleration Mode is everyone using?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sure but who is better at modulating acceleration you or computer? My bet it is computer 99% of the time.
100% computer is better at modulating acceleration. I'm just saying the power delivery of each mode is adjusted accordingly. If I baby the throttle in plaid mode, I bet my range won't go that much further than chill mode. Earlier I posted about getting 91% efficiency on my short 8.5 mile drive in plaid + autopilot mode so it was the computer modulating the plaid power curve.

Mmm no. Read manual range section or how to extend your range. It is recommended to drive in chill mode to get most efficiency!
Of course it is! Because the temptation to accelerate is hard to resist, and your ability to modulate the throttle requires more finesse, too. If you don’t want to think about it, use Chill mode. It actively makes it harder to use energy since the throttle mapping is changed. If you’re cruising at 60mph you’ll see no range difference between Chill and Plaid modes.

Of course it is! Because the temptation to accelerate is hard to resist, and your ability to modulate the throttle requires more finesse, too. If you don’t want to think about it, use Chill mode. It actively makes it harder to use energy since the throttle mapping is changed. If you’re cruising at 60mph you’ll see no range difference between Chill and Plaid modes.
I would think plaid mode uses more energy. The manual notes that in plaid mode the battery is maintained within certain temperatures.

I would think plaid mode uses more energy. The manual notes that in plaid mode the battery is maintained within certain temperatures.
The manual does state this, but I hear no battery conditioning like I do immediately when enabling Drag Strip mode. This may be a factor when driving aggressively, but under “normal” driving conditions I can’t see there being any difference between Chill and Plaid in terms of range that aren’t due to driver pedal application. But…maybe someone else can run some plug-in-device tests to see power usage.

Mmm no. Read manual range section or how to extend your range. It is recommended to drive in chill mode to get most efficiency!
you only have the possibility to get better efficiency in chill mode because the car cant draw as much power therefore using less every time you accelerate.
If you keep it in insane/ludacris/plaid all the time you still have the ability to baby the throttle and keep your efficiency low.
However, the WHOLE reason i bought my tesla is to go fast, so its been on insane mode since i drove it off the lot in Fremont the day i picked it up. i have a lifetime average of 341 wh/mi and that is partly from my lead foot and partly from the fact i live in CA so there are so many mountains and hills even when i manage to get down to the speed limit I'm still pulling a lot of juice due to the angle of the road.

Ludicrous all the time. Ludicrous Plus ( Not that I need to though ) whenever I get the opportunity to embarrass a charger, challenger, mustang, camaro etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc. Never understood why someone would buy a car with Ludicrous and not use it.

Reactions: Propofoln
No range effect. Only drag-strip mode affects the range as that heats/cools the battery pack as necessary.

Plaid all the time. Your foot is the modulator. No reason not to have that power when you want it/need it.
Do you feel the difference between Sport and Plaid around town? I thought you might not see it unless you were in drag-strip mode. Does Plaid affect tip in or is it only affecting full throttle response? Do you think Plaid mode would make it too easy get out of control for the average driver stop light accelerating.

Do you feel the difference between Sport and Plaid around town? I thought you might not see it unless you were in drag-strip mode. Does Plaid affect tip in or is it only affecting full throttle response? Do you think Plaid mode would make it too easy get out of control for the average driver stop light accelerating.
It only gives you the power your foot requests. You can put around in Plaid all day long

Reactions: WilliamG
I kinda agree with William here. Sure for most ppl the easiest way to get the most range out of their Tesla is by putting it in range mode - but what does that actually do other than moderating the acceleration and reduce peak power output? Unless there's real world evidence that a Tesla traveling at 70 mph in insane mode uses more battery than the same Tesla traveling at 70 mph in range mode that I am not aware of.

I mean, another way to look at it is the Plaid has roughly the same range as LR, even with all the extra 400 horsepower. I see that as pretty good evidence that Tesla knows to mange efficiency effectively and apply power only as necessary by default.