Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What accessories are people buying?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've ordered:

- Fob Pocket
- Alloygator rim protectors
- My paint protection film installer is doing a matte screen protector
- Aftermarket spoiler

Still picking out:

- All weather mats
- Trunk cover (for dogs or trips to Lowes)
- Trunk organizer
- Debating the Evannex cubby compartment
- Seatbelt pad

I'm planning on doing Spectra Photosync 75 on windshield and pano so I don't intend to use any shades.

If I buy some kayaks or move back to ski country I'll be getting a roof rack
How do you like the rim protectors? I was thinking of getting these but heard they can fall off and damage the car.

I got the Lloyd's car mats (Tesla OEM mats are cheap,cheap,cheap) Maybe i'll put 'em back in for the winter
Cell phone holder
USB ports for rear
Rear storage unit
sunglass holder
Tire Repair Inflator
Blackvue dashcam

Last edited:
My second Model S and pretty much went with the same accessories:
  • Tesla all weather mats (they new ones have a higher footwell so your SO can put their feet higher and not mess things up)
  • Tesla tire repair/compressor
  • Abstract ocean slim magnetic holder
  • Abstract ocean screen protector (the matte one is my favorite)
  • (Abstract ocean silicone key fob holder) - I actually elected not to get another one since the new Tesla ones are pretty nice imo. If you were going for an aftermarket one, these are the best.
  • Chademo adaptor (you may not need this depending on your use case--its sort of an insurance policy really)
  • BlackVue Dashcam DR650S (totally wish I had this when I got into my accident--this is probably the best money I've spent so far)
  • (Abstract ocean LED interior lights) - I haven't ordered these yet, but heard great things about them.
I also did the following aftermarket upgrades on the car, they're not necessarily accessories:
  • Entire car Xpel Ultimate wrap (I did full front on my first Model S and wished I had just wrapped the whole car after a few scratches and tiny dings on the doors on it)
  • Entire car Opticao Pro including lights, windows and rims
  • 3M Crystalline heat rejection tint on front windshield, side windows, and rear hatch (I added a 70% tint on the front windshield this time--regretted not doing it on my first Model S)
What is the Chademo adaptor?

Why do people like the dash cams so much? In case of accidents?

How do you like the rim protectors? I was thinking of getting these but heard they can fall off and damage the car.

I got the Lloyd's car mats (Tesla OEM mats are cheap,cheap,cheap) Maybe i'll put 'em back in for the winter
Cell phone holder
USB ports for rear
Rear storage unit
sunglass holder
Tire Repair Inflator
Blackvue dashcam

They're not on yet because, well, the car hasn't been built. However, from what I could find, Alloygators are the only ones that get sandwiched between the wheel and tire. I would NOT recommend the ones that just stick on to the outside. I attached some photos to give you a better idea.

Attachments

• File_000(1).jpeg
    File_000(1).jpeg
    295.4 KB · Views: 157
  • File_001(1).jpeg
    File_001(1).jpeg
    278.7 KB · Views: 138
What is a wrap and why are people doing it? Any suggestions where I find one?

He's referring to a paint protection film wrap. You need to find a really good installer and pick whatever wrap meets your desired effect. There are widely varying degrees of protection, optical clarity, etc. Many people are happy with Xpel Ultimate. I'm going with ClearGuard after seeing some side by sides. Most people put some sort of chemical coating such as Opticoat, CQuartz or Modesta to protect the film from bugs, sap, etc and make it very easy to clean.

Reactions: RWcarbon
He's referring to a paint protection film wrap. You need to find a really good installer and pick whatever wrap meets your desired effect. There are widely varying degrees of protection, optical clarity, etc. Many people are happy with Xpel Ultimate. I'm going with ClearGuard after seeing some side by sides. Most people put some sort of chemical coating such as Opticoat, CQuartz or Modesta to protect the film from bugs, sap, etc and make it very easy to clean.
Thanks! Any idea roughly how much people are paying to get something like Xpel installed? I have a Pearl White MS on order. Is it necessary for white as well?

Thanks! Any idea roughly how much people are paying to get something like Xpel installed? I have a Pearl White MS on order. Is it necessary for white as well?

I wouldn't call it a necessity. It just depends what level of chips/scratches you're comfortable with and how long you plan to own. I've never spent this much on a car and I plan to own for 10+ years so I'm wrapping the whole thing. Some opt for front only.

Price is location and installer dependent. I was quoted $5k in Baton Rouge. Someone in Houston quoted me $4.4k but Xpel's shop in Houston wanted $5.8k. If it's something you want to do and you are able - visit the shop and check the quality of work. You shouldn't see visible edges.

Color doesn't matter as the intent is to protect the paint from damage. Consider it a wear item that if you took too much damage you'd replace the wrap instead of re-painting and devaluing the car and potentially ruining appearance. What I will say about white is that it's important to get a quality wrap that won't yellow.

Combined with a coating your car will be very easy to maintain a show quality appearance. I'm lazy and vain so to me the cost is justified.

• Informative
Reactions: BBB4000
Price is location and installer dependent. I was quoted $5k in Baton Rouge. Someone in Houston quoted me $4.4k but Xpel's shop in Houston wanted $5.8k. If it's something you want to do and you are able - visit the shop and check the quality of work. You shouldn't see visible edges.
Wow. I really want to wrap it but honestly that is probably outside of my budget. That's really fantastic information though. Thanks for the help!

Wow. I really want to wrap it but honestly that is probably outside of my budget. That's really fantastic information though. Thanks for the help!

No problem! Front only is far more cost effective. Probably like $1500-$2k. Some people just prefer to repair the damage as it occurs or they plan to trade in before it gets bad.

If you do it you'll probably want to do paint correction either way so if you decide to do it later it probably won't be more expensive unless you need some big repairs.

The only things I've bought have been the NEMA 5-20 adapter since I charge off a 20A outlet at home (I rent and can't justify putting in a bigger circuit/outlet), and a magnetic cellphone holder ("Fosman Universal Magnetic" from Amazon, which came with the mount and three magnetic discs so I can put one on each of my phones and my iPad, and has worked even better than I'd hoped).

I'm always on the lookout for fun new stuff but in reality the car does everything I've asked it to, so I really don't need much!

Don't worry about wrapping unless you've got plenty of money to spare. It's nice, and can reduce damage from small debris, but basically should be fine. Pearl white is one of the more forgiving colours too.

Reactions: NicB72 and BBB4000
Right now I am considering the all weather mats and panoramic roof sunshade. Any recommendations from people on what they found useful and not useful?

What about where you bought it? I see Amazon has some off brand alternatives to the weather and the sun shade.

From what I've heard, skip the sunshade, really not needed.

I've bought:
Blackvue camera
Magnetic ball phone holder from abstractocean
Center screen protector
All weather tesla branded matts (they cost less than the weathertec sold ones, but ARE weathertec, and have the Tesla logo)
Tesla tire patch kit
LED light kit switch out for interior lights from abstractocean

Probably a few other things because I've bought way more for this car than any car before :)

Reactions: BBB4000
Also put tint on, 5% for back window, 20% for sides, whatever the absolute lightest (50%?) on the front windshield (for UV blocking).

Bought the Tesla Wall charger with extra long cord as I'm typically parked in the driveway and not the garage. Also somebody on the forums was selling a custom holder for the cord and plug but I haven't gotten it put up yet.

Blue tesla "T" stickers for the center wheel caps which I also have yet to put on because I'm a lazy *sugar*.

What is the Chademo adaptor?

Why do people like the dash cams so much? In case of accidents?

The CHAdeMO adapter allows you to charge your car relatively fast when you are either outside of the Supercharger network or otherwise need a fast charge on your vehicle (such as when you are out of town and have no access to destination charging and need a quick charge on your car). CHAdeMO DC charging stations can charge up to 50 kW I believe, which equates to up to 150 mi/hour. Tesla superchargers are about 120 kW with up to 350 mi/hour or so. I've honestly only used my CHAdeMO adaptor once in a about a year of Tesla ownership. Its nice to have just in case, but definitely not a necessity. Here is the link to buy it (its pretty expensive at $450): Tesla — CHAdeMO Adapter

Dashcams will definitely help if you get into an accident, hit and run in a parking lot, break ins, etc. The HD cameras can record license plate numbers very well and they have a very wide angle of view. Tesla's are unique since you can not only record while you are driving, but you can get your Dashcam wired into your 12V battery so that it is always active (if your 12V runs low, it will be recharged by your humungous 60-100 kWh battery). The Blackvue dashcams can go into parking mode when the car is stationary for 5 minutes, and they'll start recording if there is motion or an impact detected. There is a group buy discount code somewhere on the forums, if you do a search you can probably find it. It will be the best~$300 you spend.

Reactions: Akikiki

Cell phone holder
USB ports for rear
Rear storage unit
sunglass holder
Tire Repair Inflator
Blackvue dashcam

Do you have a link to the cell phone holder? I would like to see what you got.