Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What accessories are people buying?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Several folks mentioned they were considering the brighter LED bulbs by Abstract Ocean. I did not get the lighting package on my 90D. My back hatch had a single dim bulb in the top of the hatch. No bulbs were present inside the back wall of the vehicle. I replaced the dim bulb with the replacement LED from Abstract Ocean. In addition, I added two more inside the vehicle, one on either side of the hatch opening. The liner was precut to hold the bulbs and the sockets were prewired. Abstract Ocean provided excellent directions and it was EXTREMELY easy. Now, the lighting is wonderful, with three very bright lights versus one dim one.

Who here has this dash cam and how well does the front camera "hide" behind the rearview mirror?

https://www.amazon.com/Blackvue-channel-dr650gw-2ch-recorder-support/dp/B00MC4XL2G
That's the camera I have, and it hides pretty well, I can't see it at all from the driver's seat, and it's not really noticeable from the passenger seat either. The rear camera is almost invisible too. It's unobtrusive from outside the vehicle as well, though doesn't hide as well as the Tesla specific one advertised various places, but it's cheaper, and does way more. (The tesla specific one is one channel with no GPS, and no parking mode)

Other items I've added to the vehicle:
- tire patch kit and 12v air compressor
- folding shovel for winter
- 4" wide velcro strips to hold the above 2 items in place in the cubbys on the sides of the frunk
- a piece of that drawer liner no skid stuff cut to fit the centre console area to stop stuff sliding around
- 2 sets of Rial Luggano 19" wheels, one with winter tires, the other with all season tires.
- various custom electrical adapters, including one that allows me to charge at 240v from 2 120v outlets if they're properly wired, and ones to charge from 20A 120V outlets, 30A RV outlets, and motel air-conditioner outlets.

As for what else I've done to the car, I'm not sure where "accessories" end and "modifications" begin:
- trunk parcel shelf lifter
- additional LED lighting in both the frunk and the trunk wired to come on with the existing lights
- 1000w 120v inverter wired straight to the 12v battery and with 2 outlets, one in the frunk, the other one beside the 12v outlet in the cabin
- 12v 2 prong trailer connector under the 17" screen. This is always on, and capable of up to 30A. I have many accessories that can connect to this depending on the situation, from extra cigarette outlets to a power cooler, or my amateur radios among others.
- modified the 12v outlet in the cabin to be always on instead of only when the car is on
- Raspberry Pi 3 single board computer and a 3 port switch under the dash connected to the internal vehicle network for diagnostic logging and to send custom commands to the car's onboard computers.

Pending items that I still want to do but haven't yet:
- Window tint
- probably another 12v 2 prong trailer wire in the trunk
- trailer hitch
- adapter to mount amateur radio antennas to the existing roof rack mounting points for special events

While the pano roof is tinted and you don't really need sunshades for it, you will find that the un-tinted rear liftgate window allows a lot of heat into the car when summer comes. If you don't want to get the window tinted, the rear liftgate sunshade that Tesla sells works quite well. I leave it in the window all the time, year-round. You can see through it just fine (it's a bit like looking through a screen door), and as a bonus, it really cuts down headlight glare at night.

You'll find that you have to do something about the trunk lighting, because it's just too dim to see anything in your trunk at night without a flashlight or an extra light of some sort. People have recommended the Abstract Ocean replacement lights, and I would look into those first. They weren't available when I got my car, so I went with a different solution that's still working great for me.

A tire compressor is also a must-have accessory. You can regularly maintain your tire pressure at the correct level in the comfort of your garage or driveway, and never have to visit a gas station (or dig for quarters to use it.) Note that the one Tesla sells is also a "repair kit" with tire slime, but I've fortunately never had to use that part of it.

And finally, if you tote bikes or other gear that requires folding down the back seats, here's an inexpensive alternative to trunk mats.

• Informative
Reactions: SMAlset and Reekdog
What is the Chademo adaptor?

Why do people like the dash cams so much? In case of accidents?

My Chevy Volt got the dise creamed while my wife had it parked at her work. No note left, hit and run. Cost us $750 deductible to fix. Within 5 months my Nissan Leaf was hit in College parking lot. No note left, hit and run. Haven't fixed it yet, but damage not as bad as the Volt. Got my Tesla in August and had Johnny of Calibred customs install 4 channel Blackvue dash cams with 128GB SD cards. Total cost is $1500. I will now put dashcams in all my vehicles and consider it a one time insurance cost.

My Chevy Volt got the dise creamed while my wife had it parked at her work. No note left, hit and run. Cost us $750 deductible to fix. Within 5 months my Nissan Leaf was hit in College parking lot. No note left, hit and run. Haven't fixed it yet, but damage not as bad as the Volt. Got my Tesla in August and had Johnny of Calibred customs install 4 channel Blackvue dash cams with 128GB SD cards. Total cost is $1500. I will now put dashcams in all my vehicles and consider it a one time insurance cost.

4 channel? You have 360 degree coverage? I can't think of an instance that 2-ch with as wide angle the lens are wouldn't have you covered. Where did they mount the side cameras?

Thanks! Any idea roughly how much people are paying to get something like Xpel installed? I have a Pearl White MS on order. Is it necessary for white as well?

I don't know about the other guy up the thread getting ripped off because he said a Model S. But I took mine to get Xpel for the first 24" of the hood, bumpers, fenders, mirrors, door jambs and trunk deck. And suntek carbon 35% all around tint job, and it was only $945 at my local shop, which happens to be the highest rated in all of the PNW. Same day I was there, someone from seattle was dropping off his new Ferrari, and another guy from Portland was dropping off his new 911 R. Needless to say, happy with the work.

Attachments

• Fleta.jpg
    Fleta.jpg
    717.3 KB · Views: 84
I don't know about the other guy up the thread getting ripped off because he said a Model S. But I took mine to get Xpel for the first 24" of the hood, bumpers, fenders, mirrors, door jambs and trunk deck. And suntek carbon 35% all around tint job, and it was only $945 at my local shop, which happens to be the highest rated in all of the PNW. Same day I was there, someone from seattle was dropping off his new Ferrari, and another guy from Portland was dropping off his new 911 R. Needless to say, happy with the work.

35 in the PNW? It looks good but will you be able to see outside of the two month summer?

I have the following:

Frunk organizer from Target (hey, it works)
Rear seat console (From Tesla so expensive but it looks good and great for road trips with passengers)
Rear window shade (also from Tesla and really helps reduce solar gain in the summer)
TSW forged wheels with Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires for the summer (also expensive but oh so fun on winding roads!!!)

I have the following:

Frunk organizer from Target (hey, it works)
Rear seat console (From Tesla so expensive but it looks good and great for road trips with passengers)
Rear window shade (also from Tesla and really helps reduce solar gain in the summer)
TSW forged wheels with Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires for the summer (also expensive but oh so fun on winding roads!!!)

Did they discontinue the rear seat console? I was reading somewhere that they weren't compatible with the refreshed MS.

Items I've bought in the last two days just from reading this thread:
Tesla - tire repair kit
Tesla - rear window shade
Amazon - Back seat cover for taking my two dogs on rides

Thanks for all the suggestions! I have a new-to-me P85 CPO and I am just figuring out what I need.

Holy cow! Didn't know we could do that! :)
The car is pretty versatile, it's mostly about making the proper physical connections, and telling the car what current to use.

It's not necessarily for everyone as some knowledge of electricity is required though.

There's some good information on the Tesla Home Charging FAQ
and on this home made adapter guide
The 240v from 2 120v outlets thing is much more controversial, but information can be found here on how to do it safely.

• Informative
Reactions: mikevbf and HebrHmr