Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What accessories should I purchase?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Lets see, don't want to break the bank but I want some optional stuff...

I am thinking all weather floor mats, the center cap kit for the 19" Gemini wheels for when I don't want to run the aero hub caps, perhaps paint protection of some kind since I paid extra for Blue...

I plan to tint the windows, do people generally tint the glass roof when they do the rest of the windows? If so, do you go dark or do you do it like the windshield?

Mud flaps seem to be an attempt to protect the back doors and rear fenders from crap kicked up by the front tires... not needed if I do PPF?

How necessary is a screen protector for the user interface? I didn't need one in my Bolt, but the MY screen is significantly more important to the operation of the vehicle than the screen in the Bolt.

Any ideas welcome :)

Keith

PS: CHAdeMO adapter worth it or not? I do lots of road trips (formerly in the Bolt) and the non Tesla charging network is growing at an astronomical rate.... but CHAdeMO is so slow compared to CCS or Supercharger... I really wish there was a North American market CCS adapter!

These are helpful if you have kids. I’d also get a Tire Kit and Plug Kit. Maybe get some camping adapters from EVSE. I hate the feel of screen protectors and personally wouldn’t bother. The ppf and/or mudflaps for sure. I had the car 2 weeks and had a bunch of chips already. I wouldn’t get the chadmo unless you rely on external charging normally and that’s your only option. I just got back minutes ago from a 2500 mile trip and the supercharger network was perfect (Tesla’s nav routing not so much). We only used a destination charger once at a hotel the rest was supercharging.

Edit: Blind spots are kinda bad.

Reactions: cancoi and Gadget63
  • Tinting is pretty common, and I recommend. The roof has no need to be tinted since its already a fairly tinted/dark. In fact when I tried to tint my previous tesla roof the company refused since any tint (even the lightest) would have made it too dark and caused tint law violations here. it is plenty dark and cool. I would suggest the clear front window tint. Some people dislike it because it can cause distortions near the edges, but Tesla front windshields (and most EVs) are very long and big. They let a significant amount of solar load into the vehicle and I could immediately feel a huge difference in a Texas summer.
  • I would suggest some of the charging cord adapters:
    • 14-50/10-30: useful at campsite and RV parks. If you plan to go camping that has hookups these are really helpful 14-50s are more common but some only have 30 amp hookups
    • 5-20: if you frequently will visit people and need to charge at their home, most garages support the 5-20 (sideways prong). Sometimes that extra mile per hour can mean the difference of stopping to charge on the way home or not.
    • Rest: only if you know or will visit places/people that have those plugs (like a family/friend that has a welding plug you can get ta plug for that
    • Only get a CHAdeMO if you have a lot around and plan to use them. Supercharging is much easier for trip
  • Homelink is nice
  • Floormats are too (and many afterparty options as well)

Reactions: Pacernow
Tint is a MUST, in sunny states like Cali (windshield and roof 70, 20 on front windows, 5 on the back windows, 15 on rear window is what i did..Xpel Prime XR+)
Rear floor AC vent covers
Middle console storage trays
Storage or something to block front to rear seat items lol
Homelink is nice
Floormats are nice
PPF &/or Ceramic is nice but way out of my price range

I just ordered my Y. Here's my current list of things to buy from what I've learned from the model 3...
  1. Taptes floor mats
    1. Cheaper clones of Maxpider
    2. no logo
  2. Nema 14-50 adapter
    1. I already have an outlet
  3. Homelink
    1. I hate using my phone and prefer not to use a tiny fob
    2. the auto open and close is sweet
  4. Matte screen protector?
    1. I want this for anti fingerprint and anti glare properties
    2. This is on my list but I may delay it for tints
      1. I'm not a fan of tint, but I may just tint >70% instead of using a protector
      2. I will only tint the side windows
    3. Glossy protector seemed to add more fingerprints and glare, but that may just be the cheap protector
  5. EVMudflaps or Abstract Ocean mudflaps
    1. EV Mudflaps are more expensive but I think it works better
    2. I like the installation of EVMudflaps more because it has less risk of trapping dirt and scratching the wheel cladding (I will use PPF on Abstract Ocean)
    3. Abstract Ocean is much cheaper
  6. Abstract Ocean PPF on rear door?
    1. I'll buy if I get Abstract Ocean mudflaps
    2. EVMudflaps recommends PPF as well in that area
    3. XPel Ultimate Plus is good quality stuff

Reactions: profdustin
Looking over my options:

I will get an adapter cable so I can use a Bluetooth OBDII scanner for use with scan my Tesla.

Under seat vent grills.

Center caps for wheels when not running aero hub caps. Any aftermarket source less expensive than the Tesla shop?

I know a good tint place locally, so I will have them do the job... no roof tint, 70% windshield, and what ever he recommends on side windows and rear hatch to have them match in darkness. I don't like the look of lighter in front seats than in the back... but I may put 90% on the backs that has good UV / Heat rejection. Anyone have feelings on a roof sun shade since tint seems to not be a thing for the roof?

At minimum I want the PPF for the rear doors, is the abstract Ocean rear door PPF better than the PPF available directly from Tesla? I don't like the look of mud flaps, and will avoid them if possible. Is the hood (or anywhere else) subject to paint damage like the rear doors? I am thinking of PPF for the hood as well but don't want to spend the $$$ if it is not needed.

I already have 32 amp 240V L2 in my Garage set up for my Bolt, I will probably just use the J1772 adapter for home charging and keep the UMC packed up for travel use. I need the 14-50 and 10-30 adapters at minimum. I will research what other adapters I may need.

Are the Taptes mats as good as the 3D Maxpider? I like the price better, that is for sure.

homelink is something I may indulge in at a future date, until then I can use the remote that came with the garage door opener.

I will probably get the matt screen protector for the main display, is a screen swivel kit just a novelty item or do they actually make things more useful?

I was thinking about getting the key fob, but if the "phone as key" works well I don't really need to spend the $$$ on that.

Any recommendations on a mattress for camping in the back?

Thanks guys, your suggestions so far have been very helpful :)

Keith

Reactions: Gadget63
Looking over my options:

I will get an adapter cable so I can use a Bluetooth OBDII scanner for use with scan my Tesla.

Under seat vent grills.

Center caps for wheels when not running aero hub caps. Any aftermarket source less expensive than the Tesla shop?

I know a good tint place locally, so I will have them do the job... no roof tint, 70% windshield, and what ever he recommends on side windows and rear hatch to have them match in darkness. I don't like the look of lighter in front seats than in the back... but I may put 90% on the backs that has good UV / Heat rejection. Anyone have feelings on a roof sun shade since tint seems to not be a thing for the roof?

At minimum I want the PPF for the rear doors, is the abstract Ocean rear door PPF better than the PPF available directly from Tesla? I don't like the look of mud flaps, and will avoid them if possible. Is the hood (or anywhere else) subject to paint damage like the rear doors? I am thinking of PPF for the hood as well but don't want to spend the $$$ if it is not needed.

I already have 32 amp 240V L2 in my Garage set up for my Bolt, I will probably just use the J1772 adapter for home charging and keep the UMC packed up for travel use. I need the 14-50 and 10-30 adapters at minimum. I will research what other adapters I may need.

Are the Taptes mats as good as the 3D Maxpider? I like the price better, that is for sure.

homelink is something I may indulge in at a future date, until then I can use the remote that came with the garage door opener.

I will probably get the matt screen protector for the main display, is a screen swivel kit just a novelty item or do they actually make things more useful?

I was thinking about getting the key fob, but if the "phone as key" works well I don't really need to spend the $$$ on that.

Keith
The home link was a must for me. Nothing like not having to touch anything and the garage door opens as you get close to it, and closes when you leave.

Looking over my options:

Under seat vent grills.

Keith
I dont believe Taptes has a 21 Y set yet....?

Looking over my options:

Under seat vent grills.

Keith
I'm choosing Abstract Ocean over Tesla PPF for the following reasons...
The abstract ocean seems to be more horizontal but less vertical compared to Tesla. The Abstract Ocean is definitely more aesthetically pleasing to me. It is also Xpel ultimate plus which is a pretty good material that has self healing capabilities. Most of the spray does occur below the door crease.

Front end will get damage as well, but I'm less concerned about that. It's more expensive to install and I'm fine with touching up random spots once in a while. Issue with the rear doors is that you're kicking it up to yourself and it's in a much more concentrated area. It will get peppered and sprayed. I also feel like the paint booth gets poor coverage down there.

The Taptes is supposedly a clone or very similar to Maxpider. Whisperingshad is correct and it seems like they don't carry the Model Y yet. It says they have it only for Canada for some reason. I'm probably going to hold off and use the OEM rug for now until I finalize a decision.

Phone as key works like 95% of the time for me (android). I had worse luck in my iPhone. I carry the card in my wallet as a backup. I'd refrain from buying a fob until you've had the car for a couple months.

Mattress wise, I'm planning on just using my SI pad I normally use for camping. I have heard that camp mode kind of sucks because you have a bright display on you all the time.

roof tint is something you gauge after having the car for a while. From my experience with the 3, it's not needed. You may want roof shade or some sort of shade when you're camping for privacy though. Hottest windows will be the windshield, then the drivers.

Reactions: Fourdoor
OK, here is what I have on order:

Cup holder insert
roof shade
Floor vent grills
Tire inflation kit
Center caps with lug nut covers for Gemini wheels
Homelink
10-30 adapter
14-30 adapter
wheel cover storage bag
jack pads
matte screen protector
blind spot mirrors

I was going to order the mud flaps, and rear door PPF, but now I don't know if that will come on the car from the factory or not... I think I will take a roll of blue painters tape with me to pick up the car.

Does anyone make window covers for privacy while camping? Also, can you combine camping mode and sentry mode? I want a Moose that a attacks the car while I am camping to be on camera :D

Keith