Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What accident avoidance functions are active when not using AP?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m pretty sure that the automatic braking can be active with or without AP being engaged, but what about auto steer? Will the car try to swerve if somebody merges into me if I’m not using AP? I don’t really use AP very much but I’m wondering if I’m actually missing out on some safety features without it being engaged.

• Love
Reactions: youngmcdonald
SR+ I’ve experienced the car taking over and veering right around a car that was stopped and waiting to make a left turn, I had plenty of room to go around him but the Model 3 figured I was going to ram it. Was pretty cool as you can feel the wheel take over just like when the LDA pulls you back into the lane. I don’t have Auto Pilot and have never had the automatic braking system engaged even thou it is turned on, but I do get the red car and loud beeping sound indicating I’m about to hit something in front of me.

Fred

While driving totally manually, I've had the message, "Potential Collision Detected: Corrective Steering Applied" come up twice now (both times were phantom messages), so collision avoidance steering is also always active along with braking.

Please correct me if I am wrong but thought I read the automatic braking will not stop the car, it just slows it down to reduce the impact?
A good safety feature for sure, just good to know it's limitations. Some of the infamous Telsa AP crashes recently where the driver was not paying attention the emergency braking did apply but very last minute and only to slow the car down. Cars still totaled in these cases and death to the driver in at least one of them.

I also have had corrective steering apply when not in AP. Curious if you steering the wheel overrides that or not? I assume it does.

Similar question with emergency braking if the driver presses the brake pedal, does that override any auto emergency braking?
If you are in AP and press the brake pedal does that override the car from slowing itself down/stopping?

Please correct me if I am wrong but thought I read the automatic braking will not stop the car, it just slows it down to reduce the impact?
A good safety feature for sure, just good to know it's limitations. Some of the infamous Telsa AP crashes recently where the driver was not paying attention the emergency braking did apply but very last minute and only to slow the car down. Cars still totaled in these cases and death to the driver in at least one of them.

I also have had corrective steering apply when not in AP. Curious if you steering the wheel overrides that or not? I assume it does.

Similar question with emergency braking if the driver presses the brake pedal, does that override any auto emergency braking?
If you are in AP and press the brake pedal does that override the car from slowing itself down/stopping?

Auto braking hasn’t worked for me yet, not even slow me down.

While driving totally manually, I've had the message, "Potential Collision Detected: Corrective Steering Applied" come up twice now (both times were phantom messages), so collision avoidance steering is also always active along with braking.
I got that message when the car took over and veered right around the stopped car.

Fred

Auto braking definitely brings the car to a full stop when in AP. I use it all the time and the car will come to a full stop in traffic at red lights and then accelerate back up to speed once the light turns green and traffic starts to move.

Auto braking definitely brings the car to a full stop when in AP. I use it all the time and the car will come to a full stop in traffic at red lights and then accelerate back up to speed once the light turns green and traffic starts to move.

yeah of course, but that is not Emergency Automatic Braking that is just regular AP / adaptive cruise control. I use that feature daily.
OP was asking for when not using AP.

And I was further asking if you were to press the brake pedal at all yourself would AP or emergency braking still stop you.

Reactions: rlb4
yeah of course, but that is not Emergency Automatic Braking that is just regular AP / adaptive cruise control. I use that feature daily.
OP was asking for when not using AP.

And I was further asking if you were to press the brake pedal at all yourself would AP or emergency braking still stop you.

Right, I’m the OP too :) but I was responding to the person above who cited that some of the fatal accidents were due to AP not being setup to brake to a complete stop and only slows the car down. We know AP is actually setup for full stop braking so that’s not correct regarding it only slowing the car down.

Reactions: rlb4 and Nocturnal
Keep in mind you need to turn on the active lane departure assistance. (I can't recall the exact name) I didn't think it worked until I found the setting. Now if I drift or move to close to the line with no blink the car pushes me back to center lane.
Auto braking hasn’t worked for me yet, not even slow me down.
It happens later than you might suspect.
Yes, but it's close to a stop. I had it trigger on me once, I guess I was braking too late for it. It's not realistic to have the car even be able to stop if you are that close to hitting something.

Right, I’m the OP too :) but I was responding to the person above who cited that some of the fatal accidents were due to AP not being setup to brake to a complete stop and only slows the car down. We know AP is actually setup for full stop braking so that’s not correct regarding it only slowing the car down.

But I am saying,
Emergency Braking is completely separate from AP.

Every day I have AP brake me to a complete stop in traffic and not had any issues personally.

The well publicized accidents I am referencing were with AP on but it did not work as the driver expected when they dosed off or whatever they did.
The objects hit were stationary like a Fire Truck in a couple of examples where AP was going to hit them directly at full speed.
The AP's radar does not realize it is there if it is not moving I guess.

Emergency Braking (non-AP) kicked in at the last second to reduce their speed down to 40 or so instead of 65 so is something that may have saved lives but in those cases was not saving the car.