Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What adapters/plugs come with a MY?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My VIN came in less than 24 hours after ordering on Saturday. Pickup is this week. I thought I'd have several weeks to gather information on charging, but now I am under the gun to bring myself up to speed. Please forgive stupid questions, as I am starting more or less at Square One here.

What charging adapters come with a new MY? Based on me poking around, it seems like the car comes with the standard Tesla plug and the 120V household plug, and that's it. No J-1772, no NEMA, no 220V Wall. Is that correct?

If so, is the standard Tesla plug what I use at both Superchargers and destination chargers? Or do I need a different plug for each?

Please and thanks.

What charging adapters come with a new MY? Based on me poking around, it seems like the car comes with the standard Tesla plug and the 120V household plug, and that's it. No J-1772, no NEMA, no 220V Wall. Is that correct?
Every new Tesla vehicle comes with a Tesla Gen2 Mobile Connector w/NEMA 5-15 power plug adapter,
also comes with a Tesla SAE J1772 adapter

No longer comes with the NEMA 14-50 240V plug adapter (available separately from Tesla)

You do not use a charging adapter when charging using a Tesla Destination Charger, Tesla Gen2 Mobile Connector or a Tesla Supercharger. Just plug in and charge.

Newbie question here, based on my early research, the plug that normally people (in US) will have installed in garage before taking delivery is the 240V NEMA 14-50 as a good balance for speed of charging, But I read above that the adapter is not provided anymore, does it mean I have to ask for one when I take delivery?

Newbie question here, based on my early research, the plug that normally people (in US) will have installed in garage before taking delivery is the 240V NEMA 14-50 as a good balance for speed of charging, But I read above that the adapter is not provided anymore, does it mean I have to ask for one when I take delivery?
You can purchase the NEMA 14-50 plug adapter from the Tesla store at Tesla.com (latest price is $45 US.) If the adapter is out of stock (frequently the case) you can check back regularly or enter your email address and Tesla should contact you when more adapters are available (recently Tesla owners have reported that the email notification did not notify them when the adapter was in stock.)

As you continue your research consider using the Tesla Wall Connector instead of the Tesla Mobile Connector for home charging. The cost difference between the NEMA 14-50 receptacle and installing the Tesla Wall Connector (hard wired, no plug) is less than $200. For the additional expense you get a charging setup that can charge above 32A (the Gen2 Mobile Connector is limited to 32A) for faster charging (40A with the 50A circuit; 48A with a 60A circuit). The Wall Connector is fully weather rated, can be installed inside or outside. The charging cord on the Wall Connector is 24 feet in length. The charging cord on the Gen2 Mobile Connector is ~18 feet in length). There are other features, benefits of the Wall Connector including automatic load balancing when multiple Wall Connectors are installed on the same charging circuit; also direct billing of the Tesla vehicle's Tesla account (if for example you ran a B&B.)

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
As you continue your research consider using the Tesla Wall Connector instead of the Tesla Mobile Connector for home charging. The cost difference between the NEMA 14-50 receptacle and installing the Tesla Wall Connector (hard wired, no plug) is less than $200. For the additional expense you get a charging setup that can charge above 32A (the Gen2 Mobile Connector is limited to 32A) for faster charging (40A with the 50A circuit; 48A with a 60A circuit). The Wall Connector is fully weather rated, can be installed inside or outside. The charging cord on the Wall Connector is 24 feet in length. The charging cord on the Gen2 Mobile Connector is ~18 feet in length). There are other features, benefits of the Wall Connector including automatic load balancing when multiple Wall Connectors are installed on the same charging circuit; also direct billing of the Tesla vehicle's Tesla account (if for example you ran a B&B.)

Thank you very much, this is the type of feedback I was looking for. I am debating between the "14-50 Socket" and wall charger, especially because if one day I will have 2x EVs this my came handy.
I also did a research on Tax credits but I think Texas is not providing breaks or rebates anymore, maybe some of the Electricity companies are, I must look into that space.
Even if my Model Y will be an occasional commuter and I expect to drive not a lot of weekly miles, I am evaluating if the benefit of the Wall charger is going beyond the speed of charge and what you mentioned above, compared to the price for item and installation.
Thank you again!

On a side note my electrician would charge me 450 $ to install the Wall Connector.

Last edited:
Thank you very much, this is the type of feedback I was looking for. I am debating between the "14-50 Socket" and wall charger, especially because if one day I will have 2x EVs this my came handy.
I also did a research on Tax credits but I think Texas is not providing breaks or rebates anymore, maybe some of the Electricity companies are, I must look into that space.
Even if my Model Y will be an occasional commuter and I expect to drive not a lot of weekly miles, I am evaluating if the benefit of the Wall charger is going beyond the speed of charge and what you mentioned above, compared to the price for item and installation.
Thank you again!

On a side note my electrician would charge me 450 $ to install the Wall Connector.
I found the 18 ft charging cord on the Mobile Connector to be too short for my needs, went with a third party EVSE with a 25 foot cord. (At the time the Wall Connector also had an 18 foot charging cord that has since been updated to 24 feet.)

When you install any new electrical circuit for charging a plug-in or fully electric vehicle that has an outlet/receptacle the circuit must have GFCI protection. For a 50A circuit this means a GFCI circuit breaker (about $100.) An industrial grade, quality 14-50 receptacle will cost $50 to $80 plus cost of the receptacle box and face plate, so another $100. You will also want a cable organizer for holding the charging cord and for mounting the Mobile Connector to the wall or stud ($35). When you install the Wall Connector you don't need to use a GFCI circuit breaker as the Wall Connector does not use a plug.) The Wall Connector has built in GFCI protection for the charging cord. There is no receptacle and the charging cord can wrap around the Wall Connector, the charging connector on the charging cord can be stored using a retainer built in to the Wall Connector.

... There are other features, benefits of the Wall Connector including automatic load balancing when multiple Wall Connectors are installed on the same charging circuit; also direct billing of the Tesla vehicle's Tesla account (if for example you ran a B&B.)
I had a question about this ability. I live on a busy-ish street. If a random stranger came and plugged in while I am not in my parking spot, would the Wall Connector provide power? Would Tesla bill the person and remit some payment to me or would Tesla keep that charging fee?