Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What Adaptor Do I Need For MY Garage

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks for the reply. I don't intend to remove it because I have access to a charger at work and there are chargers all around the city + 20 super chargers 5 mins from my house.

If you really want to get technical, AND you wanted to carry a 14-50 adapter around with you, it would be cheaper to get a cheap outlet ($10) and dedicated(extra) 14-50 adapter($35) than to buy a HBL9450A($65, even from ebay!) which you could repeatedly plug/unplug your single 14-50 from.

If you really want to get technical, AND you wanted to carry a 14-50 adapter around with you, it would be cheaper to get a cheap outlet ($10) and dedicated(extra) 14-50 adapter($35) than to buy a HBL9450A($65, even from ebay!) which you could repeatedly plug/unplug your single 14-50 from.

The HBL9450A is $120+ in Canada even on ebay. I think for now I'll go with the one I've ordered as I don't intend on plugging it out. Thanks!

The Bryant 14-50 receptacle is $40 on Zorro. Not sure about a Canadian price. It is heavy duty and rated very similar to the Hubbell.

Here are a couple quick links to check out.

Bryant 9450FR $39.58 50A 4W Single Receptacle 125/250VAC 14-50R BK | Zoro.com

How to get a Hubbell 9540a for under $20

If you do get the Bryant, be sure to order their cover plate as well. Other plates may not fit.

Hubbell Wiring Device-Kellems SS701 $7.69 Single Receptacle Plate, 2 Gang, Silver | Zoro.com

Bryant 14-50 from Zorro.jpg

I want to update my 10-30 outlet in the garage to a new (Bryant 9303?) due to the age of the plug (late 60's) and the fact that the back where the wires attach has a large crack.

Problem is whatever is in there now is a narrow outlet in a narrow single gang box, behind plaster.

Thinking it makes since to add add a deep two gang box on the outside of the wall, screw it into the smaller box inside the box for proper grounding, run the wire through and then attach the new plug and dual gang cover plate. Does this seem like the right way to do it?

Opening the wall to replace the box isn't really an option as there are other wires looping through the box and without enough slack to cut and twist cap back together

other wires looping through the box and without enough slack to cut and twist cap back together

Sounds pretty noncompliant already.

10-30 outlets seem to be single-gang anyway. Depending on how narrow that box is, perhaps it would fit.

I am generally against surface mount anything, so I'd do anything I could(within reason) to get it in the wall. Perhaps you could move the box up or down a few inches to get some more slack in the wires looping through the box, or just move the 10-30 to a new box entirely.

The problem is that the new outlets are fractionally bigger than the opening on the electrical box in the wall, and 60's outlet in the wall currently. Of the modern outlets I have they wont fit inside the box. Perhaps if I chisel the existing "mud ring?" out and replace it with something modern I can get the new outlet in.

IMG_0587.jpg IMG_0584.jpg IMG_0576.JPG IMG_0573.jpg

Perhaps if I chisel the existing "mud ring?" out and replace it with something modern I can get the new outlet in.

I'd just take an angle grinder or dremel tool to it, just big enough to get the body of the 10-30 in. Chiseling it out would likely cause tons of drywall damage.

Side note: I'm also averse to having drywall as part of my outlet system(exposed to the innards of the box). I assume that was commonplace in the 60's, but it bugs me anyway.

The problem is that the new outlets are fractionally bigger than the opening on the electrical box in the wall, and 60's outlet in the wall currently. Of the modern outlets I have they wont fit inside the box. Perhaps if I chisel the existing "mud ring?" out and replace it with something modern I can get the new outlet in.
That is not just a mud ring. I see a complete metal box inside the wall with a conduit connector at the bottom. I would either open up the wall and completely remove the box or put a larger surface mount box over it.

I had a 14-50 installed in my garage. The $7.95 home depot plug did experience a melt-down on one wire, but that was because the electrician it seems did not screw it down REALLY tight. Buy the quality plug, and be sure the wires are screwed down really really tight.

I also eventually got this so I could use a Tesla wall charger instead of my portable charger, but not monkey with the plug. So far it's working good; with 50A breaker and charger (Gen2) dialed back to 40A (code max). When working with 40A be sure everything is screwed down really tight.

General Electric WX09X10037 4-Feet 50-Amp 4 Wire Range Cord
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00LQDFOMY

Also - I bought a really expensive Hubell 9450 socket, and it doesn't fit in a standard square box, I had to buy a matching box; then the holes weren't big enough fot the conduit, I ended up doing the Red Green thing and using a rasp end on my drill to widen the hole to accept a 1-1/4" conduit end for the 6Ga wire. Fun times, but I have a 14-50 in the garage; and can use it for the Wall Charger or the mobile charger; or a welder (yeah, like I ever will) or an oven if I choose to start cooking spicy things like the neighbours do...

Oh by the way, the Tesla Wall Charger can handle a LOT of power, be sure to limit it, and also the cable is a lot thicker than a wimpy mobile charger.

When I got my 3 the mobile charger came with the standard 110-15A wall plug *plus* the 14-50. Nowadays, since you may not want that (and to economize) they make you buy the plug you need.

Last edited:
So I installed the breaker and the outlet, but I have another issue now. The outlet is too small to fit in the frame of the gang box that was installed in the garage. Not sure what I can do here? Do I need to change the box or is there something I can install to mount it better?
Screen Shot 2020-12-12 at 3.38.01 PM.png

The center to center of the 2 screws is 2.75 inches.

The dimensions of the box is about 4-11/16 inch x 4-11/16 inch

Looks like this will do what you need, and still allow you to put a decorative cover over top(screwed to the outlet). Not sure how kosher a metal mud ring on a pvc box is. It says its 2 device, but the mounting points for the outlet will fit perfectly on those two device spots.

RACO 4-11/16 in. Square 2-Device Mud Ring, Raised 1/2 in.-841 - The Home Depot

That's a 1/2" raised variety, it looks like your box setback is somewhat less than that, so you might want a 1/4" version, or even the flat version, since your outlet will mount on TOP of the mud ring.

Looks like this will do what you need, and still allow you to put a decorative cover over top(screwed to the outlet). Not sure how kosher a metal mud ring on a pvc box is. It says its 2 device, but the mounting points for the outlet will fit perfectly on those two device spots.

RACO 4-11/16 in. Square 2-Device Mud Ring, Raised 1/2 in.-841 - The Home Depot

That's a 1/2" raised variety, it looks like your box setback is somewhat less than that, so you might want a 1/4" version, or even the flat version, since your outlet will mount on TOP of the mud ring.

Thank you so much! They dont have the one you reccomended at my home depot. Would this one work:

https://www.homedepot.ca/product/iberville-4-in-square-two-device-flat-cover/1000156899

I bought the Hubbel 9450 recepticle at Nedco for $137 and put it in a double 4" box and bought the face plate to go with it. Very clean and attached it to a secondary panel. Was approved by the ESA yesterday. It's connected to a 40A breaker giving me 32A at the recepticle.

I bought the Grizzl-E level 2 charger from Autochargers.ca and it was cheaper than Amazon and the mfg website. They offer Canadians a 25% discount. I pick up my M3 tomorrow and get 1 year Supercharger access, thank to Elon. I don't anticipate using my home charger very much, but I'm ready.

As mentioned above, I bought the 14-50 plug adapter for the charger unit that comes with the car. If anything, gives you flexbility away from your house.

Attachments

• recepticle.jpg
    recepticle.jpg
    448.1 KB · Views: 58
Reactions: Rocky_H
So I installed the breaker and the outlet, but I have another issue now. The outlet is too small to fit in the frame of the gang box that was installed in the garage. Not sure what I can do here? Do I need to change the box or is there something I can install to mount it better? View attachment 617071

That's a US-spec outlet, it will not mount to your Canadian-spec electrical box. I'm not sure why they are different, but here we are. Canadian 14-50 outlets have a metal faceplate that covers the entire box.