TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

What advantage does the tech package offer?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by LeeMiller, Jul 10, 2014.

1. LeeMiller

LeeMiller New Member

what are all the various advantages of the tech package?

2. liuping

liuping Active Member

Onboard maps and navigation for North America with free updates for 7 years

Daytime LED running lights

LED cornering lights

Automatic keyless entry

Lighted door handles

Electrochromatic mirrors

Power folding, heated side mirrors

Power lifgate

GPS enabled Homelink

Memory seats, mirrors and drive profile

:)

3. karmamule

karmamule Member

And if you want the Smart Air Suspension or Parking Sensors options you have to get the Tech Package.

4. iffatall

iffatall Member

Just wondering - has the navigation map data ever been updated yet? Do we know for certain?

5. nrcooled

nrcooled P#8946 VIN 03225

I can't say for certain if/when they were updated but there was a highway interchange that was opened a few months back. Initially the nav was confused about where I was and what I was doing but now it routes me properly through the interchange.

My .02

As for the tech package, I opted for it primarily for the nav. Having the maps/traffic data/cell service has been a great thing. I live in one of the worst areas for traffic congestion (Northern Virginia/DC Metro) and being able to check the traffic via the maps is awesome. Not to mention that I use it atleast twice a day.

6. LeeMiller

LeeMiller New Member

Motor wise does it have more power?

7. ltreasure

ltreasure Member

No, if you need more power you need to head for the performance option

8. Kermit

Kermit Member

base car comes with tracking and location maps and traffic. $3750 gets u turn-by-turn voice activated route nav.

9. iffatall

iffatall Member

That makes it certain enough for me. Anyway, I would get the Tech Package without any hesitation even if they didn't say it included Nav-Map data updates.

10. golfski

golfski Member

Even without the tech-package, you still have maps and traffic with GPS plotting of your current position. What you don't have is the turn-by-turn directions and the ability to get directions to things. You essentially have google-maps with your current location plotted on the screen.

11. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

A partial answer to your question:
    To my knowledge there has been no formally announced "navigation map data update" in any version of the firmware since I took delivery in November 2012.

- - - Updated - - -

Note that when you go out of 3G coverage areas it's a bit more complicated.

12. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

Just having the Nav system on the dash, where its easily visible, is enough to justify the tech package. The main google map is likely to be at the wrong zoom level anyway. And if you're out of 3G range (many places in Kansas), the Nav system still operates.

13. Al Sherman

Al Sherman It's about THIS car.

The cornering lights are pretty handy too when you're coming home from bowling league at night and have to avoid Possums. Plus the woman that gives the voice commands seems to really like me. :smile:

14. jerry33

Maybe you're cornering lights are different than mine, but mine are pretty much useless. I have the Nav Lady's sound off--there's too many times when I don't want to go the using the suggested route. I sure hope routing options come soon.

15. Al Sherman

Al Sherman It's about THIS car.

^^^Yes. I've had to turn her off quite a few times when she gets all panicked about me taking a different (re: correct) route. Routing options are definitely needed. One of the worst in my neck of the woods is the route she gives the Rangers. It's a godawful tangle of county roads that takes forever and almost always gets them lost and is somewhat dangerous pulling a trailer. I always tell them to use my emailed directions but some of them are young and figure "she" knows better.

16. ken830

ken830 Model S (Res#P12,447)

If you have multiple drivers that are of significantly different heights/build, then the driver profiles is a big selling-point for the tech package.

17. wycolo

wycolo Active Member

NONE. Avoid like the plague. :wink:
    --

18. kjl

kjl Member

Yeah, they light up nothing, and they turn on after I've already committed to turning.

19. jerry33

I wish they would have looked at this video which shows it done right. No car I've had since has had better lights.

20. tga

tga Active Member

For a while now, I've been convinced that all GPS/Nav systems only give you a "pretty good" route, but not necessarily the optimal one, since finding th optimal route is pretty computationally intensive.

If I had paid more attention in Computational Theory classes way back when, I might even go so far as to suggest it's NP-hard, or NP-complete. But then I've mostly forgotten what those mean...