Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What Advantage Does the Wall Connector Give?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not unless you want to, and what you want is the appropriate adapter to plug the mobile connector that comes with the car into whatever socket your 240V dedicated circuit is on.

The only adapter that comes with the mobile connector is one for the regular 5-15 (standard wall plug). You will want to purchase the adapter for the mobile connector for your 240v outlet. I think the various adapters cost around $35-40 or so, unless you have a non standard one.
Thanks JJ

Reactions: jjrandorin
If you have a 14-50 outlet installed, you only need the mobile connector adapter for that outlet and can then just use the included cable. The advantage of the wall connector is that it's attached to the wall leaving your mobile connector free to live in your car for trips, and that it can charge at up to 48A vs the 32A limit of the included cable if installed on a 60A circuit.

Whether that's worth the added cost to you is debatable (and has been debated here ad nauseum).
Thanks👍

Instead of paying $500 for a wall connector, I bought a used V1 UMC like what comes with your car but V1 can to up to 40A on the correct 40A outlet. I have a Model 3 and Model Y now and both have v1 UMC's that live in the garage so I can take the UMC that came with the car with me.
I've seen them for $350 on ebay and also some here on the forum.