Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What am i doing wrong? [help request with scheduled charging]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What are you talking about, the whole departure time charging thing was confusing from the start and everyone complained about it yet Tesla has done nothing to simplify it. Just like how the Dashcam Viewer has never worked correctly and Tesla still hasn't fixed it.
I have no problem charging during off-peak hours and ready to depart when I schedule. I took the time to understand how the current system works. It will cover most normal off-peak hours if you know how to set it up.

I have no problem charging during off-peak hours and ready to depart when I schedule. I took the time to understand how the current system works. It will cover most normal off-peak hours if you know how to set it up.
Well, the owners manual isn't very clear on how to use it. Plus, it should be intuitive without having to read the manual. Besides not everyone is on a Time of Use plan.

On the app, I get two choices
1-Departure(Precondition)
2-Off Peak (All Week)

I opted to have both on thinking it would charge before my departure time during off peak being after 4 pm but did not? Am really confused.

Last night i just decided to charge manually after 9 pm. I guess i will be doing this from now on, can't afford to be left with low charge before leaving to work. It's too bad because i thought the way i was trying to do it would have made sense to not have to always manually charge.

This is very confusing, I have read many post on this and still doesn't make sense??
Read the manual. It's explicit. One or the other. Either Departure or off_Peak--not both. If you select off-peak it only allows you to select when off-peak expires. My experience it if you plug in it will start charging even if you are at a peak time.

There lies your problem. You don’t want to take the time to understand how to use it. You would rather complain about it.
Hi Rocky harsh response. The manual says I can select either departure mode or off-peak mode--not both. Off-peak mode only lets me set the time off-peak expires but not when it starts. So when I plug it in it'll start charging even if it's peak time.

Reactions: Resist
Tesla listens to the majority of their customers, not everybody’s wish list. The current charging program works for the vast majority of customers.

If there is enough request for changes, they will most likely make some change, depending on order of importance.

It would be extremely simple to let users simply set the start and stop time for charging every day of the week. I can do this on my $100 thermostat. It's a bit enfuriating that I can't do it on a $70,000 car.

I am confused about charging, what I want to do is charge off peak hours and set a departure time.
Ex. Departure at 4:30 am which I set
Should I enable off peak as well?
I put off peak time at 4 pm in southern ca.

I had it set this way for all week with off peak on and it didn’t charge? What am I doing wrong?

Thanks
I checked with our electric provider and was told that between midnight ant 6AM is the cheapest electric so I set for those times. Has worked out fine . Usually charge to 60 t0 70 percent on a daily basis and 100 for trips.