Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What Am I Doing Wrong?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve had my X for 3 weeks. Still learning. Two vexing issues. 1. I have a attached garage that has exterior windows. I keep observing that the Xs lights are on when parked in that garage. I’m 40 feet away. Seems like I’m getting a lot of battery drain overnight. Issue # 2. I keep getting “Key is not in Car” warnings. The key is in my pocket. I wave it around in the cabin and finally it recognizes the fob. Today at the carwash i was embarrassed because no one including me could get the car to move. Is this something I’m doing? Again, X is new.

• Informative
Reactions: Mumper
I’ve had my X for 3 weeks. Still learning. Two vexing issues. 1. I have a attached garage that has exterior windows. I keep observing that the Xs lights are on when parked in that garage. I’m 40 feet away. Seems like I’m getting a lot of battery drain overnight. Issue # 2. I keep getting “Key is not in Car” warnings. The key is in my pocket. I wave it around in the cabin and finally it recognizes the fob. Today at the carwash i was embarrassed because no one including me could get the car to move. Is this something I’m doing? Again, X is new.
The "Key not in car" issue is one that I and several others have dealt with. Visit your Tesla Service Center and tell them about the problem. They'll either flash or (possibly) replace your key fob. Be sure to bring both fobs.

Reactions: JHWJR
1. Lock via your FOB, your MX, as you go into the house. (that will turn off your lights)

2. Leave your MX plugged in while in your garage. 120v if no 240v. (vampire drain) ....set charge level to what you need for the next day or the minimum. I leave my S at 126 all the time unless I know I'll need more ....or I am on a road trip. Daily I drive about < 50 miles.

3. Place the key fob in your cup holder. (should solve the {'key not in car' warnings}) Also, you MAY need a new key FOB battery?

>>>>>>4.7 years of MS ownership etc.<<<<<<<<<

Last edited:
Thanks for the information and ideas. I’ll try some of this. On issue #1--I am about 30 feet away when I see the light. Closed doors. Think that is not far enough distance? Issue #2. When I get the error message I’m in the car with keys and fob in my pocket. I take it out and position it in cupholder, by usb port and steering wheel. After spending about a minute something triggers it. Today I was just driving along and the warning appears. withe the dire subtext “if you turn the Car off it will not start again” . Another possible fob related issue. 60% of the time when I go in the garage to drive my car the door presents properly. The other 40% of the time the car is Dark, Locked and takes a while to wake up. I exit the car after pushing the “Park” button every time. What is making the difference? Fob again? BTW they only gave me one fob when I picked up the car. JB

Thanks for the information and ideas. I’ll try some of this. On issue #1--I am about 30 feet away when I see the light. Closed doors. Think that is not far enough distance? Issue #2. When I get the error message I’m in the car with keys and fob in my pocket. I take it out and position it in cupholder, by usb port and steering wheel. After spending about a minute something triggers it. Today I was just driving along and the warning appears. withe the dire subtext “if you turn the Car off it will not start again” . Another possible fob related issue. 60% of the time when I go in the garage to drive my car the door presents properly. The other 40% of the time the car is Dark, Locked and takes a while to wake up. I exit the car after pushing the “Park” button every time. What is making the difference? Fob again? BTW they only gave me one fob when I picked up the car. JB
I've had the key dob issue with all three MS I've had. We finally figured out that the easiest thing to do is open the door/roll down window, put the FOB outside the door/windows, pull fob back in and wah lah!

My spare X fob is 8 feet away in the kitchen and my new X doesn’t see it. When I walk into the garage it wakes up.

Those issues all sound broken to me. You don’t need to take it out of your pocket but perhaps do need to have it in one that is not the one with your cell phone.

As suggested I’d have the SC look at both fobs and the car. Either the fobs or the fob batteries are bad or the receiver (but the mix of car waking up early and then not working when you are in the car is weird).

Also remember S and X’s are different. S fobs work at a lot further range that X ones and do need a faraday bag to contain them. X ones are Bluetooth and aren’t so ‘radiating’.

Bluetooth radiates. It's a radio signal. If the car sends out a signal that the fob receives, the fob will respond. Both are radio waives. A Faraday bag solves both issues. The Fob can't receive and it can't respond even if it did.
Yes, I know. That's what I said. The X fob isn't as strong as an S fob. :D

What I meant was that being ten feet away with an X fob is sufficient. An S fob has to be 25 feet away unless it's in a bag. The X fobs don't need to be too far away, is the point. And this thread was about X's.

BTW they only gave me one fob when I picked up the car. JB
You are entitled to two key fobs (that's why the profile software lets you link different profiles to different fobs). Tesla has had a supplier issue lately and seems to have a key fob shortage. Ask your service center for your second fob. If they don't have any to spare at least you'll be on record to get one when they're available (you don't want to have to buy one - they're expensive).

Reactions: boaterva
Getting pretty desperate. The fob has totally packed it in. The only way I can use the car is with the phone--and you have to go through the process every time you get in and out. Nice feature but not as good as a working fob by a mile. Be 69 in a month. Wife is totally disabled. In hospice. Part of the reason I got the X was that I can muscle her into the rear seat with the FWD--so much easier. Still I have been bugging Tesla Service since Thursday and not even a call back. I live in a rural area 2+ hours from the closest service center. This is embarrassing. Paid over twice as much for the X as any other car I have ever owned and I don’t even have a working key. Label me EMBARRASSED AND STRANDED IN THE DESERT.

@Big John , really sorry to hear about these unacceptable issues. Log onto your My Tesla account and scroll down to where you can click on Elevate Issue. You at least deserve the courtesy of getting a response to your critical problem. Driving the car with only the app is not a solution, and creates its own risks if you ever park somewhere with no cell service.
Good luck. Please keep us updated.

Getting pretty desperate. The fob has totally packed it in. The only way I can use the car is with the phone--and you have to go through the process every time you get in and out. Nice feature but not as good as a working fob by a mile. Be 69 in a month. Wife is totally disabled. In hospice. Part of the reason I got the X was that I can muscle her into the rear seat with the FWD--so much easier. Still I have been bugging Tesla Service since Thursday and not even a call back. I live in a rural area 2+ hours from the closest service center. This is embarrassing. Paid over twice as much for the X as any other car I have ever owned and I don’t even have a working key. Label me EMBARRASSED AND STRANDED IN THE DESERT.
Not a call back? Who are you calling? I'd call Customer Support at HQ, not the Service Center. I've always talked to real people there and they should be able to solve at least the fob issue. Unacceptable to not be able to access the car directly.

I'm not sure email escalation will be quick enough in this case, no matter how it's supposed to work...

@Big John - more specific instructions to my above message. When logged into your My Tesla account, scroll down to the "Support" section. Click the drop down menu under "Select Subject Line." From the menu choose "Escalate this Concern for Executive Review" then type your message and send.
Good luck.

Sorry to hear about all your issues. Some of my "key not recognized" went away when I replaced the battery in the FOB (car was only a few months old). Definitely try not to keep your key in your pocket with anything else in it even if it is just to make sure you don't cause false fob clicks. Also, strange enough, it seemed to help when you get your butt out of the seat for a second (it turns the car off). You can get out of the car or just lift yourself above the seat. Stupid but it seemed to work. I haven't really seen the message anymore after the new batteries.

Definitely ask for the second Fob. You should receive two with the car. Especially important as your other Fob is not working correctly.

I also called the General CS line. As always, the person tried to be helpful and suggested I try a new battery. He ended by saying the exact thing that was said with my other 5-6 calls. He will pass the issue along and I should get a call from CS soon. Using the App I took my wife and went into town (20 miles each way). I shopped 3 stores, one was battery specialty store. All had tons of batteries but non like the X uses. The battery store only had a cross reference for a slightly different battery. They did check my existing Fob battery and said it is reading 100% exactly like a new one. We replaced it carefully, making sure it was seated properly and nothing. Tomorrow will be day 5 since I first contacted CS. BTW using the app is like this 1. Unlock the car. 2.Manually open the door. 3. Using the App again, Start the car. you only have two minutes. 4. Put in gear and go. You must repeat this process every time you exit as the car locks each time you exit. Good if you get locked out for emergency, but no one would want to do this routinely. My advice is to get some spare batteries on Amazon. But since my issue is likely the fob, I must wait until it is convenient for CS to help me. This just is not my fault. A nicely equipped 100D and no key. Brother!!

Reactions: boaterva
Also remember S and X’s are different. S fobs work at a lot further range that X ones and do need a faraday bag to contain them. X ones are Bluetooth and aren’t so ‘radiating’...being ten feet away with an X fob is sufficient. An S fob has to be 25 feet away unless it's in a bag. The X fobs don't need to be too far away
My experience is the opposite of yours.

My S fob had to be within about 10 ft of the car or less for the car to unlock (that was the case during my 3 1/2 years of ownership and over multiple fob battery changes). My X fob unlocks the car from a much greater distance, at least twice as far away. I noticed the difference immediately after taking delivery of my X a few months ago.

And Bluetooth technology uses radio waves; they “radiate”. Both the S and the X fob use Bluetooth.