Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What Am I Doing Wrong?

Godsense

Mar 5, 2020
UK
Can you just type in the first line of your address?

There's a specific oddity I find with Tesla's nav which is that using postcode is generally a bad idea. It often finds the right street but I think it's only using the first half of postcode (or possibly first half plus first number). Which means it often plonks you in the wrong place.

So my method when using nav for a new destination is always to type in the road inc. number - e.g. 123 Church Drive instead of the postcode, unless it's taking you to an actual specific named place.

Just a thought, if you share a destination from your phone, it might also work correctly?

reynirb

Oct 16, 2016
Coral Springs, FL
Yes mate main page

Yeh it says the car is 2 doors down. Know it’s not a huge deal. Just trying to work out why this iPhone key business is rubbish

For what it's worth, the intermittent unlock issue on the Model 3 appears to be an Iphone issue. It is hit or miss. My sister in law has a Model 3 and had similar issues with her Iphone. My brothers Samsung Galaxy Android phone would instantly unlock the car, every single time, no issues. Her Iphone X would always be hit or miss, no matter what they did.

This was reported in some other forums months back, especially on the Iphone X and higher. Some people ended up ordering a keyfob for the Model 3 to fix the issue. I haven't asked my brother about the issue for awhile, but will check with him to see what he did to fix it, if anything.

Drew57

Apr 4, 2020
Chester UK
Using an iPhone 11 since getting the car early April - walk away lock & handle touch unlock have never failed, whether the phone is in my hand or in a front/side pocket.

• Funny
Reactions: mpandrew

darkNstormy

May 1, 2020
North East
Since deleting and reinstalling the app I've found this works much better now. Although I do sometimes have to moonwalk backwards to the door handle if my phone is in a back pocket for the car to pick it up. Wonder if these bluetooth issues are why some people have been having trouble with summon.

bhav

Feb 24, 2020
London, UK
This must be an issue with iPhones and Bluetooth - given that's also what killed the first attempt at the UK's contact tracing app because it wouldn't allow Bluetooth to run in the background properly without the corresponding app open/screen on.

In which case there's probably no perfect fix and it's out of Tesla's control...

I'm pretty sure the BMW(?) implementation of keyless entry with iPhones that's coming soon still requires face ID unlock so that would be consistent with having to have your screen on...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC