Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What am I missing - EV pushback in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They are nearly all bored boomers who have a lot of time on their hands - who else reads the old fashioned media such as them?

Nearly all the doubters I have come across are 50+ years old, and very set in their ways .. Not all obviously, but that is a large group
No thats a terrible generalisation. Any publication can be read in print or online. I know plenty of younger generation that are very anti ev, and I know plenty of boomers who own one.

Humans do not like change. The same behaviour is evident across all technology change, but australian’s are just typically more passionate about their car. As more are purchased, and people try their ‘stupid’ mates ev, attitudes will change. Pressure will be applied by younger children and grandchildren who dont have the silly petrol hangups yet, so its going to take a generation but the days of petrol cars are limited. As for all the ridiculous arguments, I just say to people “its fast, I fuel it for free at home from my solar, I dont ever service it, and I certainly dont waste time like you at a petrol station”

No thats a terrible generalisation
Totally agree (from this 75 year old who has driven well over a million kilometres, had a heavy vehicle licence for many years, done heaps of off-roading- both professionally and personally- owns two EVs and doesn't want a fossil car). The Tesla towbar works well. Most of my acquaintances are pro-EV. Even some for whom an EV is really not yet realistic; they realise the time will come for them at some stage.

My grandkids love spotting cars without exhaust pipes.

That article is OK considering it is from News Ltd.

As to “electric car owners have also been known to attach chargers to nearby street light poles that have spots for them” - I have no idea what they mean by that. Who would be mad enough to try to tap into live overhead powerlines? Is there any evidence this has ever happened?

And if you’re going to use a cable trip protector on the footpath, please use one long enough to span the entire width of the footpath. I’m not sure it would save you from being sued though if someone tripped over it.

Reactions: moa999
I noticed that a couple of years ago, subtle to the point of being hidden exhaust pipes started to become the fashion. I can only hope that if people are starting to be subconsciously embarrassed by obvious exhaust pipes, that portends well for the switch to EVs.

Yes I’ve noticed that too - I can only assume this trend was triggered by EVs. Fossil cars trying to hide the fact they are fossil cars. Clearly they are embarrassed by it.

I don’t know how dispersion of the exhaust pollutants is affected by not having a ‘clean’ exit out the back, but potentially trapping these gases in pockets underneath.

As to “electric car owners have also been known to attach chargers to nearby street light poles that have spots for them” - I have no idea what they mean by that
Maybe they read about this trial: Local street side power poles will be turned into electric vehicle (EV) charging stations under an Australian first trial being rolled out across the Sydney and Hunter regions of NSW.
It looks like the company rolling them out owns EVs so they're technically correct.

Reactions: Benzz
Some people:

a) Dont like change
b) Don't like the culture around EV's (ie. the stigma that its for inner city hippies), think older country folk.
c) Cant afford one
b) Jealous
e) Sometimes a mixture of c&d
"e" doesnt exist because you dont have a "d".
Actually I have found "older country folk" to be very interested in EV's. They are the ones who are likely to come and chat while I'm plugging/unplugging at the shopping centre charger. It's young/middle aged men who have a chip on their shoulder and dreams of someday owning a traditional V8 muscle car.

It's young/middle aged men who have a chip on their shoulder and dreams of someday owning a traditional V8 muscle car.

Or a large diesel guzzling truck.
Some of these people seem personally offended by your EV driving presence on the road.
The arrival of large electron guzzling trucks cannot come soon enough challenge this mindset.

They are nearly all bored boomers who have a lot of time on their hands - who else reads the old fashioned media such as them?

Nearly all the doubters I have come across are 50+ years old, and very set in their ways .. Not all obviously, but that is a large group
I'm a bored boomer 👵 and now own an SR+ (2021) and MY 22. Personally as a boomer, I'm relieved to get into a car without buttons everywhere that I'll never figure out what they do!

I see a lot of anti EV information in the media and from friends which I mostly ignore as I'm not in the business of trying to convince everyone what a brilliant and fun car these are! Their loss. I will point out that they are driving 19th century technology while I drive 21st century - all while saving money on petrol and services!

I was involved in IT during 80's and 90's and heard the same old story how the computer or internet would never take off - can only just roll your eyes at this point! :rolleyes:

Came across a reddit post on r/Australia today discussing ICE SUVs swamping EV sales. A lot of commenters are saying how they won't buy an EV for a myriad of reasons including purchase price, practicality, towing ability, range and charging.
I tried debunking these with reasonable arguments, but for example some people are hellbent on comparing a new Model 3 to a second hand Mazda 3 for some reason.

What am I missing here? Why is there a huge backlash against EVs in Australia?

Reddit post in question:
Mods, please remove if this post is not appropriate for this forum.
why do you even care?

• Disagree
Reactions: Maximillan