Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What am I missing? Serious question.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just want to say first that considering my current needs, the Model 3 is the best car. I wanted an electric vehicle with AWD that wasn’t as expensive or as big as the X or S.

Saying that, I’d like to understand what am I missing. Everybody says that the Model 3 is the best car they’ve ever had. But is it, though?

I just got my Model 3 AWD non-P this weekend. I’m used to high quality cars like Lexus and Toyota. The fit and finish of my Lexus is just perfect. I can move the steering wheel with my pinky. The ride comfort is perfectly smooth. The transmission and the engine are just perfect. The doors close with a weak pull – they just click into place.

Here’s a list of pros and cons I have for the Model 3.

Pros:
- It’s beautiful. No other Lexus, BMW, Audi, etc., gets even close to it.
- The white interior is awesome.
- The acceleration is a thrill.
- The ability to charge at home is priceless.
- The glass is also beautiful.
- Regen and one pedal driving is great.

Cons:
- Bad fit and finish. Gaps. Wind noise. I need to really jam the doors for they to close. And other small problems here and there.
- The ride is not comfortable. I can really feel the road with the 3.
- I need to apply a lot of force to engage the blinkers, otherwise I just get the quick one.
- The steering wheel is stiff even when in comfort.

What I’m saying is that, while it’s a great car and I love it, it’s far from the perfect vision that my friends sold to me. I’ve had Chrysler cars in the past, and some of these problems remind me of that car. And yet, the other features remind me of luxury cars.

The question is – what am I missing? Are the other people drinking the kool aid, or do I just have unrealistic expectations?

I just got my Model 3 AWD non-P this weekend. I’m used to high quality cars like Lexus and Toyota. The fit and finish of my Lexus is just perfect. I can move the steering wheel with my pinky. The ride comfort is perfectly smooth. The transmission and the engine are just perfect. The doors close with a weak pull – they just click into place.

I’m sorry what you just described is not high quality car.

Toyota is very cheap. An appliance car. Point A to point B. Lexus is just dressed a little better.

Being able to move the steering wheel with your pinky is not good. No precision at all. No feed back, no road feel. It’s like driving a sponge. Not high quality.

Same with ride quality. Toyota ride quality is just isolated. Again. No road feel, no feedback nothing. Isolated.

Doors close with a weak pull!?!? That’s light weight cheap material. Thin doors. Try some German cars. A nice thud close.

I’ve owned plenty of Toyota’s and Lexus. So I can say what I said.

You need to try driving a real luxury car. Try the BMW 6 series grand coupe. Best car all around yet.

What you’re missing is an actual drivers car. You prefer the old, man old school “Cadillac” rides. Not the sporty car. You don’t appreciate a sporty car.

Last edited:
The doors close fine, you will get used to the amount of force needed to close them; in a few weeks you won't even notice how they close. Gaps smaps, I've compared my Model 3 to other cars and just think people are being silly, every car has gaps. The ride is sporty, just like my BMW... you don't get good handling from a mush ball. I keep my steering in Sport Mode, because it's sooooo awesome. This ain't no Camry.

The only one of the cons listed that's objective is fit and finish - wish it was better but the overall subjective experience >>> IMO. Agree on the turn signal, but that's also subjective.

I actually don't understand why people like floaty rides, but they obviously prefer it because BMW has made their suspensions softer. Same with loose steering - don't know why folks like anything but sport. If you want to feel a door with a great closing feel, close a Mercedes door. I find it amazing.

Reactions: P85_DA and Arpe
-The ride is not comfortable. I can really feel the road with the 3.
- I need to apply a lot of force to engage the blinkers, otherwise I just get the quick one.

Sounds like you need to get yourself a Prius. It has nice easy steering force (for old people), comfortable suspension (for old people), gas pedal has no resistance (for old people). You need an old person EV. lol.

Sounds like you need to get yourself a Prius. It has nice easy steering force (for old people), comfortable suspension (for old people), gas pedal has no resistance (for old people). You need an old person EV. lol.
Hey the new Prius is a lot better!!! LoL

Oh my word. The previous version of the Prius was utterly crap. I can say that too cuz my wife had the old one and now “upgraded” to the Prius Prime.

You aren’t missing anything and they aren’t drinking any kool aid. Your expectations aren’t unrealistic - they are just different. The Model 3 is a sports sedan with tight steering and plenty of road feel. You are used to a softer ride and looser steering. Unfortunately this was probably not the perfect car for you.

Not sure what to say about the doors or blinkers as I have no issues with those. I agree about the fit and finish although I don’t think the Model 3’s fit and finish is as poor as others make it out to be. I’m okay with it but you may not be.

I love love love this car. You probably just like it.

The designers of Tesla cars, including Elon are fans of European sports cars. Feel for the road is a big deal with sports cars, so the steering and feel is going to feel differently from a cushy luxury car.

Tesla is behind other car makers in fit and finish.

I just want to say first that considering my current needs, the Model 3 is the best car. I wanted an electric vehicle with AWD that wasn’t as expensive or as big as the X or S.

Saying that, I’d like to understand what am I missing. Everybody says that the Model 3 is the best car they’ve ever had. But is it, though?

Here’s a list of pros and cons I have for the Model 3.

Pros:
- It’s beautiful. No other Lexus, BMW, Audi, etc., gets even close to it.
- The white interior is awesome.
- The acceleration is a thrill.
- The ability to charge at home is priceless.
- The glass is also beautiful.
- Regen and one pedal driving is great.

Cons:
- Bad fit and finish. Gaps. Wind noise. I need to really jam the doors for they to close. And other small problems here and there.
- The ride is not comfortable. I can really feel the road with the 3.

What I’m saying is that, while it’s a great car and I love it, it’s far from the perfect vision that my friends sold to me. I’ve had Chrysler cars in the past, and some of these problems remind me of that car. And yet, the other features remind me of luxury cars.

The question is – what am I missing? Are the other people drinking the kool aid, or do I just have unrealistic expectations?

A lot of things simply come down to what you're looking for.

Like I love the feeling of the ride in my P3D+, but I've always liked sports cars versus mushy old peoples cars. :)

I don't really have any issues with the doors, but I'm used to heavy German like doors.

The steering wheel isn't stiff enough even in sport. I thought that was a bit odd as it was perfect in the Model S that I traded in.

The blinkers just suck. I'm not sure what Tesla was thinking with that design. It's kinda funny how I heard all kinds of complaints about various things in the Model 3, but one thing I dislike more than anything else is the blinker stalk.

I don't think you have unrealistic expectations. It's just that it's hard to have a hard that fits so many needs. There just isn't a lot of choice right now with EV's, and especially with EV's that you can road trip with hardly any issues.

I'm sure you'll see a huge ramp up in fit/finish/luxury when Audi/Porsche gets into the game.

Reactions: P85_DA
....really jam the doors for they to close...

My Model X can open its driver door and close on its own. I hated manual opening and closing so I paid $118,000 for that automatic feature!

...I can really feel the road with the 3...

If you could just pay a little bit more for Model S or X, you'll get air suspension to alleviate some of those feeling!

...a lot of force to engage the blinkers, otherwise I just get the quick one...

I don't think it is about force but it is about DURATION.

A quick flipping of the stalk would result in 3 flashes.

If you just hold it a little bit longer, it would continue to flash until canceled.

I wouldn't persuade you to purchase Model S or X for turn signals because you have to manually cancel the signal after each automatic-lane change maneuver while Model 3 turn signal would AUTOMATICALLY turn off after your car successfully maneuver and automatic-lane change.

In this topic, Model 3 is more modern and cheaper than Model S or X! I love Model 3 blinkers!!!!

Might be unrealistic expectations, but it also depends what car you had before. I came from a last-gen BMW and my P3D+ rides softer and quieter by quite a noticeable amount, which surprised me after months of reading posts like yours.

Steering in Normal mode is somewhere between the BMW's normal and sport modes (I'm sure the sticky tires are part of that equation). Should be lighter on the non-P. Steering is reasonably light in comfort mode, but I hated the light feel.

Turn indicators are maybe a bit stiffer which IMO adds to the quality feel. Otherwise they are designed in the same way as on the BMW. If yours don't continue blinking after that "bump" in the action, you may need to visit a service center - mine required extra force for right turns, and the service center is fixing it now (new steering control module? not sure yet).

Overall much less road noise; there's a tiny bit of wind noise at 65+ mph but overall the car is whisper quiet to the point that it still feels weird to drive a car this quiet.

Also, I read that the doors/trunk will require less effort to close as the seals break in. Give it a few thousand miles?

• Informative
Reactions: Arpe
Curious what wheels you ordered.

So I've been driving a full size Toyota Avalon for a number of years. Just picked up our Model 3 this past weekend and have had a little time to compare to the 2001 Toyota Avalon XLE that I was driving before and to our Model S. Yes, the doors do need to be closed more solidly. We've had a few instances already when we didn't have them closed all the way and got the beeping. Just think that will take a bit of getting use to.

The Avalon rode like a smooth tank. I really did like our car. Thick solid cushioned smooth leather seats with no real bolstering, comfortable and easy to slide in on. So far find the Model 3 seats to be comfortable. Different from our Avalon and our Model S. We got new tires about a year ago on the Avalon and the ones I had prior were great on the road if you didn't like to feel the road. They discontinued those and the last set we bought I immediately noticed how much more of the road feel I had with them. Kind of reminds me of the Model 3 now. Personally really liked the softer feel I had and found it to be more quiet too. But then again I was also getting motor noise with the Avalon so hard to quantify the cabin noise. I think our Model S has a smoother road feel than our Model 3 and the tires are quieter. The road feel is probably the biggest difference I notice in this car.

I love the steering wheel. Not the same as our Model S (Benz wheel) but close enough. Feels good in my hands. Haven't found the turn signals to be an issue. I feel right at home with our Model 3 dash area. My Avalon didn't have the cockpit of buttons and displays that you find today on some of the newer Toyota models. Our fit and finish I thought was quite good on our Model 3. Similar trunk operation as my old Avalon. I do miss the sunroof on my Avalon and would have ordered one on my Model 3 if available. I like the clean lines and great visibility in the new car. I was afraid moving from a full size sedan to the Model 3 I'd feel cramped but can't say I do. Definitely have less cargo/trunk space. It definitely is a sportier car feel than my Avalon and would just describe it over all as different. I'm very happy with the car. It operates very much like our Model S which I love driving and which I would consider a more luxury sedan than the Model 3. Haven't decided yet if I like the Model 3 better than the Model S, but while the Avalon was an old vehicle that was starting to show it's age it was still a well built car that held up very well with regular maintenace.

I can say I don't miss the fumes, pumping gas, oil leaks, or smog checks so that's a big plus over the Avalon. While the Model 3 doesn't have the mileage range as the Avalon it feels like a good amount and with plugging in at home as needed range really is not something I think about.

My VIN is 41XX, delivered in January, so I probably have the worst fit/finish, and the original seats. After 10,000 miles in the car, I can say you pretty much forget about everything negative. The longer you own it, the harder it will be to get into gas-cars. Pumping gas is super weird after you stop doing. Everything is sticky, it smells weird, etc. The vibration of an engine at stop lights seems crazy once you get used to not having it.

If you really want to convince yourself, I would go test drive a bunch of brand new cars. And pretend like you own them, and scrutinize them the same way. When I first got the 3 I was pretty hard on it and then I realized compared to what else you can actually buy, it really is an amazing car. If you compare anything to your trusty/familiar old car, it'll never win.

That said, I am on the side of comfort. I hope that Tesla eventually makes a 'comfort package'. I personally would love a soft suspension and ultra quiet cabin with sound dampening material. As much as I enjoy driving the model 3 like its stolen, some days when I'm commuting in traffic, I want to be isolated from all the stuff around me... trucks, road noise, bumps, old minivans burning oil, etc.

Most important for me and the Kool Aide I drink is that I trust Tesla engineering. If you look at iihs crash test reports you'll see a few makes of cars where the airbags don't go off on the first test so they have to do a second test and then report that one, or seatbelts that fail. Tesla really tries to be good at engineering to avoid problems, not put bandaids on their cars.

The blinkers just suck. I'm not sure what Tesla was thinking with that design. It's kinda funny how I heard all kinds of complaints about various things in the Model 3, but one thing I dislike more than anything else is the blinker stalk.

I'm sure you'll see a huge ramp up in fit/finish/luxury when Audi/Porsche gets into the game.

What’s wrong with the blinkers?
You do know these are the same blinkers used in a BMW for a long long time now right?

These are the best blinkers so easy to use.

Light tap 3 blinks. Harder tap, past the resistance, continuous blink till you stop it. To cancel just light tap again. I find light tap in the same direction works best.

I’m sooooooo happy with these blinkers. I hate the old scroll Blinkers where it has the mechanical click lock in place.

• Disagree
Reactions: Ludatik and cwerdna
I keep my steering on sport and for shits and giggles out it on comfort and I’m sure I could have turned the steering wheel using mind bullets, it was that easy. The ride comfort feels the same as my Subaru, and Ford Edge... I also compared the panel gaps on the 3 to the edge.... the edge was worse than the 3.

What’s wrong with the blinkers?
You do know these are the same blinkers used in a BMW for a long long time now right?

These are the best blinkers so easy to use.

Light tap 3 blinks. Harder tap, past the resistance, continuous blink till you stop it. To cancel just light tap again. I find light tap in the same direction works best.

I’m sooooooo happy with these blinkers. I hate the old scroll Blinkers where it has the mechanical click lock in place.
I dislike the design that you mention BMW uses/used to use.

Oddly, I was at a BMW Ultimate Drive Event earlier this year and of the cars I test drove on the open road, only the i3 still has the design I dislike (which you consider "best"). I recall test driving a 3-series PHEV and maybe a 2-series and a 5-series. For those, they've gone back to the traditional design where the lever snaps into place and stays there. It only snaps back to center once you've turned completed a turn.

Reactions: P85_DA
It has nice easy steering force (for old people), comfortable suspension (for old people), gas pedal has no resistance (for old people).

I hope to be old some day and none of those things mentioned sound like something I would want and more so, perhaps insulting? My dad is old and he doesn't like any of those things.. he insists on a manual etc.

Folks have different needs and priorities. I've always leaned towards smaller, lighter, quick, sporty handling in a car. Turbos and sticky tires and firmer riding. Used to do some track racing even so decidedly a specific kind of experience bias here.

The 3 is not small compared to my history of cars but it is sporty, is very quick (P3), handles great for it's size (and actually on roads like 17 going to Santa Cruz in Ca quite confidently at elevated speeds) and is also safe, comfortable, carries a bunch of stuff and dogs and the seats are great <- personal opinion. The sound system in the cars as currently optioned is also pretty d@mn good to my ears. And I'm a tech geek so that works too, the giant iPad up front and all.

It's also not creating CO2 and noise or too much attention when briskly (uh hmm) moving away from a stop light. All good things and why it is one of the best cars I've owned and there are a bunch in no particular order

Honda/Acruas - not super quick but small light and tossable
Many Audi/VWs turbos w/tweaks and go fast bits
Mini Cooper S supercharged flavor, tweaked and really fun at Thunderhill
Fiat Abarth (don't laugh) small, turbo, tweaked, faster than expected for an econo-midget

It's true the 3 does not have the same quality as defined by panel gaps and paint but mechanically nothing has been amiss and the car is a bit of a triumph (to me) when considering the scrappy young company producing it.. I've not tweaked it at all (can't really compared to the others in my history) and yet it is certainly the quickest (if stuff like that matters) and the best handling for it's size w/zero changes needed from me - yet ;)

Edit

I forgot something really important, from my point of view anyway, not a single car I've owned that I personally picked out was built by an American manufacturer - for those that know me, that's a very telling bit..

Last edited:
Steak has to be medium, at least. Well done steak has no taste. Oh... is that the analogy? But what if the taste is stiff? :)

Agree with MsJulie regarding the old thing.

But I do like things on the softer side. Like, I'd take a couch instead of a wooden chair. I don't want to feel the road :)

I don't like the X and S due to the size. Too big.

I have the 19" wheels at 41 psi.

And you guys are all right. I've never driven a sports car and never wanted to. My best friend was complaining yesterday that I'm suddenly liking stepping on the pedal on my 3, and I was never like that. She doesn't want me doing it anymore while she's in the car. Oh well.

Maybe the Y will be my best ever car. Will see.

Saying all that, I love my 3, despite everything.

Reactions: gavine and McCaesar