TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

What App are you using daily and are you concerned?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by aollivierre, Mar 5, 2018.

Tags:
  1. aollivierre

aollivierre Member

Let’s be honest, the Tesla app is not the best app out there based on the vehicle we have today. There apps out there that do other things our Tesla app will my do. Like....

Better Apple Watch options
    Notify you when your car door is open
    Having the ability to schedule tour cabin temp
    Etc......

Last time I took my vehicle in for service, I got a lesson from service guy stating that downloading new apps to control your car could be potentialially harmful to your car. Meaning, giving outside entities outside of Tesla access to your api was not a good thing.

Are they bring over protective?

What apps are you using to control your car today?

2. emlombardo

emlombardo Member

Until Tesla has a legit third party API I’m not using anything but the official app.

• Like x 3
  3. Langhorne

Langhorne Member

I use Mosaic, primarily so I can preheat the car in the morning using Alexa...but I do always have the nagging concern in the back of my mind that I am giving api keys to a 3rd party.

4. Kanting

Kanting Member

I second that. This also helps minimizing overnight drain and firmware update failure. I also put all IoT smart devices on guest networks.

• Like x 1
  5. jaguar36

jaguar36 Active Member

With any third party app you are basically handing the keys to your car over to the developer. I'm sure they all have good intentions, but you never know.

• Like x 1
  6. luckyj

luckyj Member

I only use Tesla's app (and some scripts that I wrote for custom things). Would never consider using a 3rd party app/site with the way Tesla's API currently works. Especially would never ever use a 3rd party that requires your actual Tesla password - that's just...wow. The 3rd party doesn't have to be nefarious for there to be risk. Since no system is impenatrable, you must accept the risk that it could be stolen from the 3rd party.

IF there wasy a way to use a token that was also locked down to only certain commands that I controlled, I'd consider that.

• Like x 1