Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What are Autopilot "Safety features"?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes and no. To have the "Autopilot safety features" you have to have the Autopilot hardware. So it's a short way of saying "has Autopilot hardware, and the safety features that the hardware is capable of are enabled without an extra fee".

I get the part about the convience features, the hardware, and the fees. Just curious what ARE the safety features. Plain and simple, what features does the Model 3 have to actively assist the driver avoid an accident while not engaging in Autopilot? Example, does the vehicle brake to avoid running into a wall?

I get the part about the convience features, the hardware, and the fees. Just curious what ARE the safety features. Plain and simple, what features does the Model 3 have to actively assist the driver avoid an accident while not engaging in Autopilot? Example, does the vehicle brake to avoid running into a wall?

Current safety features are: AEB (advanced/autonomous emergency braking), lane centering, side collision avoidance.

Current convenience features are things like parking assistance and automatic lane changing.

These might get more advanced in the Model 3.

Correct. Most cars turn on a light in your mirror, and perhaps beep at you. Tesla doesn't have the mirror lights
God I sure hope this doesn't change for the Model 3.

Blindspot detection is utterly pointless and ends up being more of a distraction than a help. Beeping? Is this for real? Do people seriously drive around cars that beep whenever somebody drives by you?

And a light on the side mirror to indicate somebody is there? What's the point? You should be able to look in the side mirror to see if a car is there! That is why side mirrors exist.

It's your own damn fault if you point your side mirrors at your car. Gotta make sure that gas cover is closed! Gotta make sure my car is still there! Gotta make sure I effectively have three rearview mirrors, two of which don't do much because half of the mirror is taken up by my car! I feel much more comfortable like that because you never know if your mirror is lying to you. Better have three pointed the same direction just to be sure. What's that? You mean doing this creates two enormous blindspots on either side of my car? Blindspots that can be avoided by pointing the mirrors at said blindspots, effectively creating a continuous image of what's behind you as your peripheral seamlessly transitions into the side mirror which seamlessly transitions into the rearview mirror which seamlessly transitions into the other side mirror which seamlessly transitions into your other peripheral? No. That makes far too much sense and is far too safe. I'm a safe driver. My mirrors are adjusted just fine and don't you dare tell me otherwise. Also, it's your fault if I sideswipe you. Get out of my lane.

So because 99% of drivers are idiots, you're telling me I have to put up with constantly flashing lights, vibrating steering wheels, and beeping in the comfort of my own goddamn car? Doesn't seem very comfortable. That's almost as bad as the side mirror turn signals that are visible from inside the car.

I mean, I guess I'm okay with all that if my car doesn't have any of those annoying "features", because apparently it helps all those other idiot drivers out there.

Current safety features are: AEB (advanced/autonomous emergency braking), lane centering, side collision avoidance.

Current convenience features are things like parking assistance and automatic lane changing.

These might get more advanced in the Model 3.

Thanks for the reply. Very informative.

Curious though, I wonder how some senior drivers are running into buildings & walls with AEB ?

Curious though, I wonder how some senior drivers are running into buildings & walls with AEB ?

It's difficult to brake when on grass or flying through the air...

Also the feature didn't come out that long ago. The picture going around this forum the guy slammed the accelerator thinking it was the brake, jumped the curb, and hit a restaurant. No AEB on earth is going to prevent that once the event has already been set in motion.

It's difficult to brake when on grass or flying through the air...

Also the feature didn't come out that long ago. The picture going around this forum the guy slammed the accelerator thinking it was the brake, jumped the curb, and hit a restaurant. No AEB on earth is going to prevent that once the event has already been set in motion.

Thanks for the answers, makes sense.

AEB slows the car, to prevent a more serious crash, but is not intended to save the car from a crash. Here's the section from the Model X manual:
Automatic Emergency Braking
The forward looking camera and the radar sensor are designed to determine the distance from any object (vehicle, motorcycle, bicycle, or pedestrian) traveling in front of Model X. When a frontal collision is considered unavoidable, Automatic Emergency Braking is designed to automatically apply the brakes to reduce the severity of the impact.
When Automatic Emergency Braking applies the brakes, the instrument panel displays a visual warning and you'll hear a chime. You may also notice abrupt downward movement of the brake pedal. The brake lights turn on to alert other road users that you are slowing down.
When Automatic Emergency Braking has reduced the driving speed by 25 mph (40 km/h), the brakes are released. For example, if Automatic Emergency Braking applies braking when driving at 56 mph (90 km/h), it releases the brakes when the speed has been reduced to 31 mph (50 km/h).
Automatic Emergency Braking operates only when driving between 8 km/h and 140 km/h.
Automatic Emergency Braking does not apply the brakes, or stops applying the brakes, in situations where you are taking action to avoid a potential collision. For example:
  • You turn the steering wheel sharply.
  • You press the accelerator pedal.
  • You press and release the brake pedal.
  • A vehicle, motorcycle, bicycle, or pedestrian, is no longer detected ahead.
Automatic Emergency Braking is always enabled when you start Model X. To disable it for your current drive, touch Controls > Settings > Driver Assistance > Automatic Emergency Braking > Disable.​

This is followed by another full column of warnings and disclaimers that the driver is still to be alert and in control of the car at all times.

Reactions: nd4spd569
Very few cars on the road today feature automated safety features as standard equipment. Automatic braking, adaptive cruise control, rear collision avoidance, side collision avoidance, etc... some of these are offered as upgrades on some models, but they are not standard equipment by any stretch of the imagination.

By the time the 3 is actually out and easily available, these sorts of things may be more common as standard equipment. 20 manufacturers have committed to including at least AEB as standard by 2022. I would imagine some of those may already be headed that way by the time 2018 rolls around.

U.S. DOT and IIHS announce historic commitment of 20 automakers to make automatic emergency braking standard on new vehicles | National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA)

Can you cite a source?

Well, the website for the S lists the following as "convenience features" vs safety features.

Autopilot Convenience Features add
  • Automatic steering and summon
  • Traffic-aware cruise control
  • Automatic lane centering and changing
  • Parking space detection
  • Self parallel parking
  • Automatic high/low beam headlights
The rest of the safety features are:
Safety
  • Front and side collision avoidance
  • Blind spot warning
  • Lane departure warning