Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What are Autopilot "Safety features"?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
During the Model 3 launch event, Elon stated Autopilot "Safety Features" will be standard.

Experts and S&X Owners: What specific features is he referring to?

I spent an hour digging around Google but haven't found any useful article describing what Autopilot "Safety Features" are available currently for example.

uh...that sounds like any other car on road?? So it's just a marketing gimmick for a set of generic safety features branded under "Autopilot"?

I was hoping to see actual "Autopilot" unique features.

Very few cars on the road today feature automated safety features as standard equipment. Automatic braking, adaptive cruise control, rear collision avoidance, side collision avoidance, etc... some of these are offered as upgrades on some models, but they are not standard equipment by any stretch of the imagination.

uh...that sounds like any other car on road?? So it's just a marketing gimmick for a set of generic safety features branded under "Autopilot"?

You CAN see autopilot features...if you purchase autopilot. Tesla has been pretty clear about this.

Is any other car at the $35K and under price point offering those safety features on a BASE model?

The difference is that the Tesla will actually steer the car to avoid the collision instead of just providing an audible warning.

Correct. Most cars turn on a light in your mirror, and perhaps beep at you. Tesla doesn't have the mirror lights, but can potentially steer away from collisions.

Sort of. Most other manufacturers think of these as separate features. For Tesla, they are components of one feature: Autopilot. Tesla's view is that they aren't just discrete, separate features, but required elements of a greater whole. That is probably why a Mercedes S Class, which has considerably more sensors than a Model S, has much less self driving ability. All those features aren't thought of and integrated together in the same way.

Correct. Most cars turn on a light in your mirror, and perhaps beep at you. Tesla doesn't have the mirror lights, but can potentially steer away from collisions.
My 3-year old BMW would simply activate the mirror light in the collision case. If the turn signal was on, it would also vibrate the steering wheel to indicate unsafe lane change. However, the BMW's sensors are not always reliable, often mistaking a stationary median wall for a vehicle.

Yes and no. To have the "Autopilot safety features" you have to have the Autopilot hardware. So it's a short way of saying "has Autopilot hardware, and the safety features that the hardware is capable of are enabled without an extra fee".

Since you haven't responded to other posts, I'm curious. Do you consider the car taking over and steering away from an encroaching vehicle from the side an actual Autopilot safety feature? Seems like one to me.

Yes, the example you gave is the kind of Autopilot safety differentiation feature I was expecting. Another is active collision mitigation whereby the car would prevent you from running into a wall for examples. In recent weeks, I have seen several news articles on aged drivers involved in accidents. It surprised me that their Tesla didn't engage any "active" mitigation control to prevent the car in such events.

In contrast, for example, the i3 completely prevents the vehicle colliding with any object while traveling at slow speeds. I am aware that these features may not be in widespread use in production vehicles today.

I was honestly curious if anyone could identify what are the safety features that Elon reference. As a Model 3 reservation holder, I am curious what these features are.