Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What are feature differences if any from 2022 to 2023 model year for Model Y?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Nope. 4680 cells are only on the rear wheel drive standard range models exclusively from Austin and were only made available to about 30 employees last year. (No doubt for testing/research purposes) Since then, no other Model Y has had them. Every now and again a rare sight of one will pop up on Tesla’s used inventory.. The 4680 cells won’t be a mainstream thing for about another year.. or more.
Sorry but this is totally incorrect.

4680 cells are in Model Y AWD (Tesla's nomenclature). Not SR, not RWD (that version is only sold overseas and uses LFP batteries).

A lot more than 30 employees have MY AWD. Many customers bought them either by invite (because they lived near Austin) or via inventory.

There is a batch of them hitting inventory right now that customers can buy.

Reactions: AJ..
Upvote 0
You are going to have:

Upgrades:

-heated wipers
-Bio weapon defense mode for A/C
-Magnetic center console lid
-Door panels with the dash trim
-Cover for cargo/hatch
-matrix headlamps (disabled until software comes out)

Downgrades:
-Removed ultrasonic sensors (and no parking systems until update)
-no radar (not installed in front anymore)
-Passenger lumbar support
-USB data at ports (except for the one in the glovebox

Overall the car is still great.. but the MY has stopped backwards lately especially if you consider the price.
No magnetic center console lid in my 2023 Model Y manufactured 12/18/22.

Upvote 0
Sorry but this is totally incorrect.

4680 cells are in Model Y AWD (Tesla's nomenclature). Not SR, not RWD (that version is only sold overseas and uses LFP batteries).

A lot more than 30 employees have MY AWD. Many customers bought them either by invite (because they lived near Austin) or via inventory.

There is a batch of them hitting inventory right now that customers can buy.
I’m referring to the first run shortly after Austin had opened. Those were “standard range rear wheel drive” only models. They only produced 30 in that first ever 4860 trial run. Since then Austin has made more, and in different variants I’m sure. But, it’s not a product that a regular customer could order either from Tesla.com or by calling an SA. This was exclusively offered in-house. The additional runs allowed “special clients” to order.

• Disagree
Reactions: MP3Mike
Upvote 0
This.
Tesla makes changes continuously as they're ready. Off the top of my head the changes I can think of for the MY since it first came out in 2020 are:
  • Heated steering wheel
  • auto-dimming side mirrors
  • changes to the glass (laminating for sound proofing)
  • New processor
  • LiPO4 low voltage battery
  • suspension changes
There may be others. On one hand this is good because improvements come more quickly. If something's ready, why should you wait for the next model year? On the other hand it makes it a bit hard to know what a given car has for equipment and features. Like @Tha_Ape says, there are no model years in the traditional sense to categorize them.
When did MYLR start having 'Heated steering wheel' ? Does M3LR also have this?

Upvote 0
I’m referring to the first run shortly after Austin had opened. Those were “standard range rear wheel drive” only models. They only produced 30 in that first ever 4860 trial run. Since then Austin has made more, and in different variants I’m sure. But, it’s not a product that a regular customer could order either from Tesla.com or by calling an SA. This was exclusively offered in-house. The additional runs allowed “special clients” to order.
Interesting. Never heard of a 4680 Standard range RWD out of Austin. Can you provide a source for that information as I'd like to read up on it?

Regardless, the 4680 MY AWD has trickled out into inventory ever so often over the past ~6months or so. Now we are seeing an even bigger surge of these cars into inventory as the article I linked talks about. There are a couple threads about them showing up in inventory in January on TMC. You can't custom order a MY AWD but you can keep an eye on inventory and get your hands on one ordering off of the Tesla website. Or you can have an SA search the internal inventory to find you one. I don't see any evidence that the MY AWD was only offered to special clients. Many TMC members with no affiliation with Tesla were offered to replace their MYLR orders with MYAWD in order to get a car sooner. You can search back for a number of threads on this.

Upvote 0
Double pan front windows for 2023. Wish they would include the back ones also.

Attachments

• DD447AFB-25CC-4FEC-8321-53F2C51A4468.jpeg
    DD447AFB-25CC-4FEC-8321-53F2C51A4468.jpeg
    273.2 KB · Views: 139
Upvote 0
At least since April of 2021... I that's when mine was made. I suspect it began late 2020 or early 2021

Not sure about the M3LR
My March 20th 2021 build MY has heated steering. My friend’s Jan 2021 build MY does not have the heated wheel. But it’s hard to place, around those months somewhere. Sometime with a 3-4 month window after that AC started to include the bio weapon defense mode too.

• Informative
Reactions: TomB985 and Tha_Ape
Upvote 0
"Tesla makes changes continuously as they're ready. Off the top of my head the changes I can think of for the MY since it first came out in 2020 are:
  • Heated steering wheel
  • auto-dimming side mirrors
  • changes to the glass (laminating for sound proofing)
  • New processor
  • LiPO4 low voltage battery
  • suspension changes
There may be others."
Like removal of Radar and going camera only vision.

Upvote 0
These have been available since early 2021 build date cars. My “2021” MY has them. This isn’t new for “2022” or “2023” years.

Just curious, does the European / China market cars have the double pane on the rear driver and passenger windows too? I thought I had saw a Youtube video which saids they do but I am unable to verify from other sources if this is true or not.

Upvote 0
Just curious, does the European / China market cars have the double pane on the rear driver and passenger windows too? I thought I had saw a Youtube video which saids they do but I am unable to verify from other sources if this is true or not.
I couldn’t tell you to be sure. But, it’s worth noting that all of the upgrades and improvements rolled out on NA cars were always shown in the China cars first.
The added trim to the doors, car colorizer (from the UI to much custom exterior wraps), and the rear privacy cover in the trunk are all examples of features first debuting in cars from Giga Shanghai. So with that, I wouldn’t doubt that the Chinese cars have had the glass since day one. As far as rear windows having the 2x glass I don’t think any Tesla currently has that from either factory yet. But, if they do start putting 2x glass in the rear I wouldn’t be surprised if Giga Shanghai starting doing it first.

Upvote 0