Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What are feature differences if any from 2022 to 2023 model year for Model Y?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There are no "model years" with Tesla in the traditional sense. They are constantly changing. Some are coming with cargo covers and magnetic (vs. latch) center consoles. I just learned the 7-seaters now have a revised subtrunk cover that you can prop open.
This.
Tesla makes changes continuously as they're ready. Off the top of my head the changes I can think of for the MY since it first came out in 2020 are:
  • Heated steering wheel
  • auto-dimming side mirrors
  • changes to the glass (laminating for sound proofing)
  • New processor
  • LiPO4 low voltage battery
  • suspension changes
There may be others. On one hand this is good because improvements come more quickly. If something's ready, why should you wait for the next model year? On the other hand it makes it a bit hard to know what a given car has for equipment and features. Like @Tha_Ape says, there are no model years in the traditional sense to categorize them.

Upvote 0
As mentioned they do not do model years with changes. You could get a 2023 and then a month later on a 2023 they will change the rear lights as an example. Never saw Tesla advertise new features for a model year. My 2022 Model S was delivered end of December 2021, in February they changed the rear lights and headlights and later added a tilting screen still, a 2022 model. They may not be done yet before the 2023 model year is out. For Tesla, a model year is a technicality on paper, nothing more.

They also take away features such as our 2020 model Y which came with passenger lumber support, no more. Adjustable regen braking, no more. Multi port usb connections, no more. None of these had anything to do with model year.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
If you order now will you get 1 with 4680 cells? Is it even worth waiting for those? Doesn't seem like it from the little i've read.
They’re only just starting to deliver cars with the 4680 batteries. No way of specifying one that I know of. The 4680 seems to have a lot of advantages but it’s a new technology and may also have unknown issues, especially early on, so there’s a bit of added risk to it currently. Time will tell.

Reactions: AJ..
Upvote 0
You should check out the thread started by @Tha_Ape - it's been fairly consistently updated, as it tracks changes to MY over time. As others have stated, there aren't really features aligned with model years - features tend to get revised / added / removed when Tesla is ready to do so.

Upvote 0
You should check out the thread started by @Tha_Ape - it's been fairly consistently updated, as it tracks changes to MY over time. As others have stated, there aren't really features aligned with model years - features tend to get revised / added / removed when Tesla is ready to do so.

Thanks. I dont update it daily or anything, usually wait for a few things to change and get confirmation. Tesla is hard to document. Even if something changes in July, it doesnt mean ALL July cars will have that change.

Also, if anyone has more accurate information, please let me know and I'll incorporate it.... I'm literally going off what I see on the internet (mostly this forum and Reddit).

Upvote 0
If you order now will you get 1 with 4680 cells? Is it even worth waiting for those? Doesn't seem like it from the little i've read.
Nope. 4680 cells are only on the rear wheel drive standard range models exclusively from Austin and were only made available to about 30 employees last year. (No doubt for testing/research purposes) Since then, no other Model Y has had them. Every now and again a rare sight of one will pop up on Tesla’s used inventory.. The 4680 cells won’t be a mainstream thing for about another year.. or more.

• Disagree
Reactions: MP3Mike
Upvote 0
Ordered a 2023 Model Y performance on 1/1/2023. Projected due by February 23rd. Had a 2022, so am anxious to see changes!
You are going to have:

Upgrades:

-heated wipers
-Bio weapon defense mode for A/C
-Magnetic center console lid
-Door panels with the dash trim
-Cover for cargo/hatch
-matrix headlamps (disabled until software comes out)

Downgrades:
-Removed ultrasonic sensors (and no parking systems until update)
-no radar (not installed in front anymore)
-Passenger lumbar support
-USB data at ports (except for the one in the glovebox

Overall the car is still great.. but the MY has stopped backwards lately especially if you consider the price.

Reactions: Snow Drift
Upvote 0
You are going to have:

Upgrades:

-heated wipers
-Bio weapon defense mode for A/C
-Magnetic center console lid
-Door panels with the dash trim
-Cover for cargo/hatch
-matrix headlamps (disabled until software comes out)

Downgrades:
-Removed ultrasonic sensors (and no parking systems until update)
-no radar (not installed in front anymore)
-Passenger lumbar support
-USB data at ports (except for the one in the glovebox

Overall the car is still great.. but the MY has stopped backwards lately especially if you consider the price.
He said he had a 2022 so it should already have heated wiper park and is already missing radar, passenger lumbar, center console USB data.

Not sure if he had a Performance or LR but 2022 Y Performance already had Matrix headlights.

Only gain is the door panel trim and cargo over, but is now missing USS which is a huge one.

I would keep the 2022 TBH 🙃.

Reactions: AJ..
Upvote 0