Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What are missing to make Tesla Model X a superb winter car?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah, I know most of you are ready for the summer related stuff now.

However, here at 70 degrees north of the Earth's equatorial plane, the Winter is strong, and we still have 3 feet snow at sea level.

After driving Model X one winter in hash conditions, I find a simple function still missing: Range Mode without reduced heating capacity. Let us have the opportunity to not use the battery warmer, but still have enough heating capacity inside the car.

Tesla engineers, if you are reading:

Please, let us have a button named "Battery Heater OFF". Or an option for Range Mode named that gives full capacity for heating inside the car.

This will increase range and decrease power consumption a lot for shorter trips in winter, and still let us have maximum comfort. Should be simple to implement. (Off course, will not affect temperature levels for battery protection)

This is #1 on my wish list, and will strengthen Tesla's position as a winter car and an energy efficient car.

Reactions: _jmk
To me, what's missing is *HEAT* and perhaps some insulation.

The front footwell gets unreasonably cold when temps are below freezing. Similarly, the rear header is under-powered, and blows cold air unless you disable auto and set it to high temp, and low fan speed.

Reactions: aesculus
The front footwell gets unreasonably cold when temps are below freezing.
Are you leaving airflow in auto, or directing airflow to the footwell? For some reason, Tesla's auto mode for airflow doesn't direct heat to the footwell. I actually don't like anything about their airflow decisions, and it seems like every new (to me) car I get has worse airflow decisions in auto than the previous, with my first one to have auto A/C (a 1993 Buick Park Avenue) actually being the only one to do it in a way that I would consider right.

Reactions: PrGrPa
Yeah, I know most of you are ready for the summer related stuff now.

However, here at 70 degrees north of the Earth's equatorial plane, the Winter is strong, and we still have 3 feet snow at sea level.

After driving Model X one winter in hash conditions, I find a simple function still missing: Range Mode without reduced heating capacity. Let us have the opportunity to not use the battery warmer, but still have enough heating capacity inside the car.

Tesla engineers, if you are reading:

Please, let us have a button named "Battery Heater OFF". Or an option for Range Mode named that gives full capacity for heating inside the car.

This will increase range and decrease power consumption a lot for shorter trips in winter, and still let us have maximum comfort. Should be simple to implement. (Off course, will not affect temperature levels for battery protection)

This is #1 on my wish list, and will strengthen Tesla's position as a winter car and an energy efficient car.

I put in a feature request called subzero mode. Feature Request: Subzero Mode
Feel free to add to it and do the same, hopefully they'll implement it.

Agree, on all features listened above.
However, if we hold on for software related improvements easy to implement, my #1 will be Range Mode with full heating power for the car heater. Or just as simple as a possibility to turn off the battery heater. It will reduce my power consumption in winter time with 20-30 %, and give me enough heat inside the car.

Reactions: PrGrPa