Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What are MX Plaids realistically selling for?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What are Model X Plaids realistically selling for? I see some listed in other groups for 155k-165k or so but are they actually selling for that much? My MY is currently in the shop getting repaired and even though I don’t want it, I’m wondering if I could buy the MXP order I have coming in Friday, drive it around for 2-4 months and then sell for roughly what I paid (130k + ~12k in taxes)?

On a different note, anyone who has picked up a MX plaid in denver how much were your total taxes and registration?

Why would you buy something you don't ultimately want and base the purchase on speculation you will be able to resell it in the future. You might be fine. you might be underwater.
Because I'm in a situation where I either spend money on a rental for 3 months or I buy a car that /may/ be worth the same amount I buy it for since I got it for less than they are selling for today.

• Funny
Reactions: ElectricIAC
Because I'm in a situation where I either spend money on a rental for 3 months or I buy a car that /may/ be worth the same amount I buy it for since I got it for less than they are selling for today.

Personally I'd just rent a cheap car for 3 months instead of dropping 150+ on a car. If people are paying a premium for cars I'd imagine you'd also end up paying a premium. Doesn't really put you in a good situation for selling.

I bought late. But got a vin and I'm supposed to pick up on Friday now. 1 week from order to pick up.
But I'm paying alot more than some for my plaid. And I'm ok with it.
Wasn't sure if I wanted to give up my Etron.
But as with anything, prices go up an down. I bought because I think this is best for my situation.

If you go in buying a 160k car for profit, I think you're doing it wrong.

• Funny
I bought late. But got a vin and I'm supposed to pick up on Friday now. 1 week from order to pick up.
But I'm paying alot more than some for my plaid. And I'm ok with it.
Wasn't sure if I wanted to give up my Etron.
But as with anything, prices go up an down. I bought because I think this is best for my situation.

If you go in buying a 160k car for profit, I think you're doing it wrong.

What are your thoughts on the Etron? I've always like Audi's build quality and infotainment.

What are your thoughts on the Etron? I've always like Audi's build quality and infotainment.
The build quality is top notch. The service I get is also top notch.
My issues are with range. I get 220 to 240 miles actual when I had my 20" wheels. With my 22" wheels I'm looking at 190 to 200 if I'm lucky.
It worked for me for a bit, but I got tired of range anxiety. Also the app is nowhere near Tesla app.

I still have it. Not sure if I'm going to get rid of it. But the MXP was kind of a compromise for me and the wife. She loves Tesla. She sold her 3 during covid and didn't need to commute. Now she will have to go into the office and the Etron might make it. So we decided to get her a Tesla again. And the Plaid is supposed to tie me over until I'm able to get back into a GT3.
Otherwise a Y would have been fine for her.

• Funny
My issues are with range. I get 220 to 240 miles actual when I had my 20" wheels. With my 22" wheels I'm looking at 190 to 200 if I'm lucky.
It worked for me for a bit, but I got tired of range anxiety. Also the app is nowhere near Tesla app.

I still have it. Not sure if I'm going to get rid of it. But the MXP was kind of a compromise for me and the wife. She loves Tesla. She sold her 3 during covid and didn't need to commute. Now she will have to go into the office and the Etron might make it. So we decided to get her a Tesla again. And the Plaid is supposed to tie me over until I'm able to get back into a GT3.
range is the biggest reason i said NO to many other options. approx 200 may be ok for some people and i wish it was for me because it would open my world up to a few other options but ultimately i needed 300+ at any given moment and the MX does that for me

• Funny
range is the biggest reason i said NO to many other options. approx 200 may be ok for some people and i wish it was for me because it would open my world up to a few other options but ultimately i needed 300+ at any given moment and the MX does that for me
MX does not give you 300+ real world range. You need to lop off at LEAST 20% because you don’t run it down to 0% and you don’t charge it to 100% every day. That gives you about 280 miles. And that’s with perfect weather, not driving to fast and not to much HVAC, not Plaid and not 22” wheels.

I prefer not routinely charge above 80% (unless I plan for it). And I prefer never go below 20% SOC on my model S refresh. I’m getting about EPA range in the summer and I typically don’t go above 65 mph and I always have the car in Chill. 19” wheels with Aero covers.

So I comfortably get about 240 miles range on the S that gets 50 miles more range than the X.

There is no way I would consider the X as 300+ “at any given moment”

Sure if you charge to 100%, leave immediately to get to grandma’s that you know you can charge at, yes. In perfect weather, and you don’t drive to fast, it’s not winter. It can be done.

I had Raven X with 330 miles range. 20” wheels. Lifetime was a little worse than EPA. I could not make a round trip that totaled 240 miles, comfortably. And in winter I could not even do it uncomfortably.

So for a “any given moment” you really don’t want to keep the car constantly at 90%. I keep it at 80%. And you don’t mind running the battery down to 10%. Some people routinely do, I try not to. And you don’t mind keeping it under 65 mph. You could call the X about 245 miles range. In perfect conditions. In the summer. With no degradation.

That’s exactly why I switched from Model X to Model S to get to that 300 miles at any given moment. I’m pretty close.

The Audi gets exactly what is says it'll get. I think Porsche and Audi under promise and over deliver.
Our 3 was the same. Had no where near what is stated.

But with that said. If we can get 280 out of the X Plaid, that's more than enough.
Just have to temper expectations and be realistic with Tesla range.

The Audi gets exactly what is says it'll get. I think Porsche and Audi under promise and over deliver.
Our 3 was the same. Had no where near what is stated.

But with that said. If we can get 280 out of the X Plaid, that's more than enough.
Just have to temper expectations and be realistic with Tesla range.
You won’t get 280 out of an X plaid “at any given moment” and most owners that choose Plaid choose the less effiecient wheels on top.

Plaid X with 22” Wheels you are starting with only 311 miles 100% SOC to 0%.

Lop off 30% for “any moment range” and you are down to 218 miles. On a perfect day, staying under 65 mph. Running from 80% SOC down to 10%.

• Love

That's kind of how I felt when we were looking at Q5s and saw the Etron. We test drove pretty much all of the crossover SUVs, including some that were not comparable (X3, the small MB SUV whatever it was). Top of the list were the Q5, Etron, XC60. Lexus took the top spot for ride quality, but everything else felt dated. Range and ease of charging kept coming up with the Etron.

The one thing I was disappointed about with Audi was during, I think MY21 or MY22, they watered down their lane keep. Previously, it would work very well, just like Tesla AP. Now, the car ping pongs dangerously. I don't know why they made this change. Possibly because they want to avoid assistance incidents like Tesla is notorious for.

Exciting times to have all these options though.

That's kind of how I felt when we were looking at Q5s and saw the Etron. We test drove pretty much all of the crossover SUVs, including some that were not comparable (X3, the small MB SUV whatever it was). Top of the list were the Q5, Etron, XC60. Lexus took the top spot for ride quality, but everything else felt dated. Range and ease of charging kept coming up with the Etron.

The one thing I was disappointed about with Audi was during, I think MY21 or MY22, they watered down their lane keep. Previously, it would work very well, just like Tesla AP. Now, the car ping pongs dangerously. I don't know why they made this change. Possibly because they want to avoid assistance incidents like Tesla is notorious for.

Exciting times to have all these options though.
The assisted cruise on mine works fine. Doesn't ping pong at all. It is a lot more conservative that Tesla autopilot, not as great as Teslas. But I'd say 90% there. I've driven from Napa to San Jose during traffic and chatted away with passengers while the car "drove" itself on the freeway.

But I'm looking to get back into a weekend car. So something more exhilarating to drive in the twisties

The Plaid is to satisfy my speed need, while I wait for prices to come down so I can get back into a Porsche.

The assisted cruise on mine works fine. Doesn't ping pong at all. It is a lot more conservative that Tesla autopilot, not as great as Teslas. But I'd say 90% there. I've driven from Napa to San Jose during traffic and chatted away with passengers while the car "drove" itself on the freeway.

But I'm looking to get back into a weekend car. So something more exhilarating to drive in the twisties

The Plaid is to satisfy my speed need, while I wait for prices to come down so I can get back into a Porsche.
What year do you have? The 20 or 21 (forget which year exactly) model we tested was great, the most recent one did not work at all.

There's nothing like a Porsche. Fast acceleration is fun and all, but it's nothing like actually driving a car.

What are Model X Plaids realistically selling for? I see some listed in other groups for 155k-165k or so but are they actually selling for that much? My MY is currently in the shop getting repaired and even though I don’t want it, I’m wondering if I could buy the MXP order I have coming in Friday, drive it around for 2-4 months and then sell for roughly what I paid (130k + ~12k in taxes)?

On a different note, anyone who has picked up a MX plaid in denver how much were your total taxes and registration?

Wow! Have they come down in price that much? Ironic as when they were $119K, they were consistently listed on auto trader from $180K to $240K.

You won’t get 280 out of an X plaid “at any given moment” and most owners that choose Plaid choose the less effiecient wheels on top.

Plaid X with 22” Wheels you are starting with only 311 miles 100% SOC to 0%.

Lop off 30% for “any moment range” and you are down to 218 miles. On a perfect day, staying under 65 mph. Running from 80% SOC down to 10%.

If EPA ratings held relative between the P85D and the MXP, I'd have no problem getting 280 on a single charge with my 20" wheels. Rated on the P85D with the 19" wheels was 310 yet I consistently achieved in the 260 to 280 range on long trips or about 40 wh/mile better than rated.

The MXP with the 20" wheels is 284 wh / mile rated yet under the same driving conditions as the P85D I'm averaging around 300 wh / mile which is worse than rated. 300 wh / mile in moderately warm weather with no wind is still good enough for over 300 miles if I charge to 100% right before leaving on a long trip. Technically it's good enough for 316 miles but I'm not willing to intentionally run it below 5%.

If I were getting the same relative efficiency to rate in my MXP as I did in my P85D, I'd be getting 367 miles from 100% down to 5%.

Of course that was with crappy alignment. I have yet to do a real test since getting it back since I was in the BVI for two weeks and only just got back.

Epson_06252022133835.jpg

What year do you have? The 20 or 21 (forget which year exactly) model we tested was great, the most recent one did not work at all.

There's nothing like a Porsche. Fast acceleration is fun and all, but it's nothing like actually driving a car.
I have a 2021. I'm not 100% sure I'm selling it yet.
I have a ways to get my GT3 order in, its a 2 year wait.